PDA

View Full Version : mdworker running... alot

The_Hawk
21st August 2009, 06:37 PM
I have just done inherited a 2007 vintage MacBook from the wife (after buying her a new MacBook Pro ;)) and following some of my other posts the battery is ordinary and the fans alot hot and hard.

Now, the more I look into this it seems the CPU is running near full tilt most of the time, the HDD is reading and writing constantly (all taken from Activity Monitor). It seems that it's mdworker indexing behind the scenes.

Now to be fair I have just moved (on Tuesday/Wednesday) about 4GB of documents and about 10 years worth of email along with 70GB of music so I assume that is going to take a little while to index... But the indexing service said it was running, then it was complete... but mdworker is still running?

How long should I expect this to run (I can always set it up and leave it on overnight if that's going to help). Is there a way to "force" it to run the process and give me a status bar showing how far along it is in doing what it's doing?

mrbolano
23rd August 2009, 07:59 PM
I'm bumping this because I'm interested to see if anyone has an answer

my macbook's mdworker seems to be doing a lot of work all the time too

dagaz
23rd August 2009, 08:25 PM
How much CPU is it using? Once its finished indexing it should be hovering around the 0% mark.

The_Hawk
23rd August 2009, 08:48 PM
Its gotten better since I first posted, so maybe it's finished now... although I will note that it was indexing a hell of a lot when I was away from home (and my Time Machine) and stopped when I came home...

Will see what happens when I'm back at work, hopefully it doesn't spark up again.

alepro
23rd August 2009, 08:49 PM
Indexing a large number of small files (such as the emails you mentioned) can indeed take some time.
If it doesn't stop indexing after a couple of hours (maybe good to leave it overnight), I'd recommend grabbing yourself a copy of OnyX (which is free), and let it rebuild the caches and do a permission repair.
After the next restart it will re-index everything again, but I have found that this fixes the mdworker issue, on the rare occasions I experienced it.

The_Hawk
25th August 2009, 10:01 AM
Well I'm back at work and the fans are making noise again... guess what's got them all hot and bothered. Yep. mds.

It did a similar thing yesterday so I took direction from one of the posts I read somewhere that said I would exclude the whole HDD, then re-include it so it forces the whole database to rebuild, which it did. Took a while but things seemed to settle down after that. Went home, backup's continued as expected through Time Machine and now I'm back at work again.

I notice that my Time Machine backup tried to run and couldn't find the backup location... funnily enough since it's 50km away :P

Anyway, I'm sitting here watching mds run all over the shop, as low as 22%, as high as 107.3%... Looks like there is something funky going on between the indexing service and Time Machine?

Maybe it's time to consider an alternative solution to Time Machine and maybe even turn off Spotlight Search, although I notice with it off it really does nothing at all, and while I use it only a little, it would be nice to be able to use it at all.

The_Hawk
25th August 2009, 12:40 PM
Indexing a large number of small files (such as the emails you mentioned) can indeed take some time.
If it doesn't stop indexing after a couple of hours (maybe good to leave it overnight), I'd recommend grabbing yourself a copy of OnyX (which is free), and let it rebuild the caches and do a permission repair.
After the next restart it will re-index everything again, but I have found that this fixes the mdworker issue, on the rare occasions I experienced it.

OK, OnyX is downloaded, permissions repaired and Spotlight rebuilt (once before and once after OnyX). System rebooted and it seems to be working as it should...

Mind you I had the same behaviour yesterday after rebuilding the spotlight database... Will see how we go tomorrow after Time Machine gets it's hands on it tonight and does a backup.

On a side note, this system was literally built from scratch a week ago so there shouldn't really be any changes away from default in that time...

The_Hawk
26th August 2009, 10:09 AM
The issue came back again later yesterday and again today. On a hunch I started shutting down apps one by one to see if the issue went away and got all the way down to nothing... except the Three Mobile 3G connection software. Shutting that down and mds stopped running...

A bit more googling with and I stumble on some other people with the same issue. The 3 Mobile 3G dongle, well it's software anyway, when it's running mds is jumping all over the shop and essentially causing the machine to run hot (and chew through it's battery much quicker). Not running the software and instead connecting the "dial up connection" that is the Huawei modem through iStat Pro on the dashboard means I'm still connected but not using the 3 mobile software and seems to have solved the problem.

Still needs to be tested for a while and see what happens since I thought the problem had been resolved a few times now and it turned out not to be the case. Still, fingers crossed this time ;)

Currawong
26th August 2009, 03:26 PM
Maybe see if you can't drag all the folders associated with the 3G software into the Spotlight privacy section in System Preferences.

I'd recommend grabbing yourself a copy of OnyX (which is free), and let it rebuild the caches and do a permission repair.

Nuking caches can be helpful, but permissions repair does nothing of any use (it was an issue with 10.0/10.1/10.2 when MS Office broke things on install). Caches can be damaged by a hard reset or application crash possibly, but permissions have to be deliberately changed to cause issues, or be screwed from a whole hard drive copy gone wrong.

The_Hawk
26th August 2009, 04:12 PM
The Three software really doesn't add any value being installed so if this pans out I'll just remove it completely. This is a dedicated internet line so while I *could* get SMS via this sim, no one actually has the number so it's all good.
So far so good running this way :D