PDA

View Full Version : SMS from Mac OS X

dlmuller
21st August 2009, 11:05 AM
I am interested in setting up SMS from my Mac in order to sent bulk SMS to various groups in my address book. Can anyone tell me of a good, preferably cheap/free means of sending SMS from my desktop.

Thanks,

dlmuller

Gio
21st August 2009, 11:50 AM
Free= smsPUP, free in that you do surveys to get credit
or Skype

raj
21st August 2009, 01:19 PM
Our buy credit with a SMS service like directSMS - Australian based SMS Messaging, Bulk SMS, SMS Gateway, SMS API, Web 2 SMS, Email 2 SMS (http://directsms.com.au) and it's all done via the web.

Oh and Skype isn't free... you need to buy credit for you account

The_Hawk
21st August 2009, 01:27 PM
It's a shame no one has written an app that can send SMS from your Mac via an attached iPhone (also read your incoming SMS too).

How handy would it be to have your iPhone on the dock and have your SMS just there and available without picking up the phone.

I used to be able to do this back in the PC days with a Windows Mobile based handset and any one of lots of 3rd party applications. Jeyo is one company that springs to mind.

Would be particularily hand for many of us that are on one of Optus' various "unlimited SMS" plans since I know I would send far more SMS if it was integrated into my desktop, besides all that, why would I want to pay for something I could get for free.

raj
21st August 2009, 01:29 PM
It's unbelievable to me that you can't pair your iPhone with Address Book and send an sms the same way you can with a 5 year old Sony Ericsson T610!!

I wrote about my distaste ages ago.... The iPhone shows no love for Apple’s Address Book… Why iPhone? Why?! | i don't quite know (http://www.idontquiteknow.com/2008/03/12/the-iphone-has-no-love-for-apples-address-book-why-iphone-why/)

It's a shame no one has written an app that can send SMS from your Mac via an attached iPhone (also read your incoming SMS too).

How handy would it be to have your iPhone on the dock and have your SMS just there and available without picking up the phone.

I used to be able to do this back in the PC days with a Windows Mobile based handset and any one of lots of 3rd party applications. Jeyo is one company that springs to mind.

Would be particularily hand for many of us that are on one of Optus' various "unlimited SMS" plans since I know I would send far more SMS if it was integrated into my desktop, besides all that, why would I want to pay for something I could get for free.

ausdan
21st August 2009, 01:52 PM
I really enjoy using SMSPup. The only thing I wish is for someone to write an app (and for that matter, a widget for my computer), which would allow me to use the service without having to log into the SMSPup site whenever I wanted to send an email.

fan
21st August 2009, 04:09 PM
You can send SMS via Mac and I use this all the time..

Use,

emitSMS widget (http://algoritmer.dk/widget/)

dlmuller
21st August 2009, 04:16 PM
Thanks for the replies. I've got some links to pursue!

dlmuller

The_Hawk
21st August 2009, 05:07 PM
You can send SMS via Mac and I use this all the time..

Use,

emitSMS widget (http://algoritmer.dk/widget/)

The first FAQ point says it all really:
Does emitSMS work with the Apple iPhone?
No. Many basic phone features are still not present in the iPhone but might appear later. The iPhone will probably gain the ability to act as a bluetooth modem before gaining the ability to be used with emitSMS.

dlmuller
21st August 2009, 10:41 PM
The first FAQ point says it all really:
Does emitSMS work with the Apple iPhone?
No. Many basic phone features are still not present in the iPhone but might appear later. The iPhone will probably gain the ability to act as a bluetooth modem before gaining the ability to be used with emitSMS.

Mmmm. This is the problem. I have a 16GB 3G iPhone, so whatever I end up doing really needs to be able to link to the iphone. Alternatively, is there anything out there that will enable group SMS, on the iphone, without having to select each individual separately? (eg. to be able to send group SMS by simply selecting the group already set up in the iphone's contacts)

dlmuller