PDA

View Full Version : IRC clients

kyte
19th August 2009, 09:45 PM
Whats the current favoured IRC client? I'm using colloquy which is ok, but I've come from the Windows IRC stuff and find it a bit odd (and yes I know I havent been windowed for years, but neither have I been doing IRC)

So far I have looked at Colloquy, Linkinus and MacIrssi

Recommendations and links please :)

Huy
19th August 2009, 09:48 PM
I like X-Chat Aqua | Get X-Chat Aqua at SourceForge.net (http://sourceforge.net/projects/xchataqua/)

Exocet
19th August 2009, 09:50 PM
Depends what you want - are you looking for a Mac app or an IRC app? If you want a Mac app which can do IRC, run with Colloquy. If you want an IRC app but don't care for looks, run with X-Chat Aqua.

kyte
19th August 2009, 09:56 PM
I dont care what it looks like, taking a look at x-chat :)

Geoff3DMN
19th August 2009, 09:57 PM
X-Chat Aqua is the best IRC app for OS X, Colloquy is the most OS X like app.

Depends upon what you are looking for.

kyte
19th August 2009, 10:13 PM
X-Chat Aqua is the best IRC app for OS X, Colloquy is the most OS X like app.

Depends upon what you are looking for.

they all seem to do the same job, really. Its occasional use, no more.

Exocet
19th August 2009, 10:19 PM
they all seem to do the same job, really. Its occasional use, no more.
Of course they all do the same job, they're IRC clients. If you don't require the power-user functions afforded by X-Chat aqua then use whichever client feels right.

On Windows I started with mIRC (oh Khaled, you and your squeaky nose!) and then moved to BersIRC because the interface was nicer. When I switched to OS X I started with X-Chat, then Irssi, and now I use Colloquy. Colloquy fits best for me, and I guess you just need to try a few and see which fits best for you.

Brains
19th August 2009, 11:49 PM
I use Mice iRC (http://mice-irc.com/download.php). It seems to have stopped at 1.0b18, but its quite stable, small, clean, and Intel-friendly. Give it a try.

Asher Tuzza
20th August 2009, 12:46 AM
it used to be that ircle was the only irc client for mac

but its long changed

personally i use the command line version ... . . .. bitchx
a good portion of my friends use xchat or xchat aqua

~Coxy
20th August 2009, 10:37 AM
xchat drove me nuts after a while, I can't remember the reason why though. I switched to Linkinus, which is OK but seems bad at maintaining a stable connection.

chrome
20th August 2009, 11:05 AM
MacIrssi is teh r0xx0rz.

kyte
20th August 2009, 05:30 PM
Of course they all do the same job, they're IRC clients. If you don't require the power-user functions afforded by X-Chat aqua then use whichever client feels right.

On Windows I started with mIRC (oh Khaled, you and your squeaky nose!) and then moved to BersIRC because the interface was nicer. When I switched to OS X I started with X-Chat, then Irssi, and now I use Colloquy. Colloquy fits best for me, and I guess you just need to try a few and see which fits best for you.I started with mIRC but switched to pIRCh pretty quick stayed with that for 3 years or more. Tried BersIRC but then I went mac soon after. Had Snak for a minute but didnt like that. Tried MIceIRC and dint mind it (close in look and function to mIRC) maybe I should give it another shot. Colloquy sint bad and of course I dont need power functions. I wiull be @ in channel but am disinterested in scripting etc

banjo
20th August 2009, 05:37 PM
Looks like Colloquy also has an iPhone app. Anybody tried it?

kyte
20th August 2009, 05:41 PM
I use Mice iRC (http://mice-irc.com/download.php). It seems to have stopped at 1.0b18, but its quite stable, small, clean, and Intel-friendly. Give it a try.

Thanks for the reminder, Brains. I did use it for a while but gave up as it stopped working on the emac. Just downloaded and fired it up. its perfect :)

kyte
20th August 2009, 05:42 PM

In its early days before it cost $$ and when I was stuck on GSM. It wasn't a great experience.

Geoff3DMN
21st August 2009, 09:23 AM

I have the Colloquy iPhone app, it's not very good but it does work.

I haven't found anything for the iPhone that is actually better though.