PDA

View Full Version : Work Laptop (I want to stick with my mbp but work want to give me a dell laptop!!!)

janastas
19th August 2009, 09:24 PM
OK, here is my situation:

I've been a Macbook pro user for the last three years now, it's my primary work machine even though work by default supplies me with a desktop (I asked the IT guys to take the desktop away as it was gathering a lot of dust...)

The laptop is a personal laptop just in case you where wondering.

I'm the only Mac user in the office but I'm managing to get all my work done without having a Windows desktop.

Some of the apps I use are:

Things, VNC server and viewer, MS Office suite for mac, path finder, windows remote desktop for mac, timeous, textwrangler, vmware, versions, etc...

Let's just say using a mac for what I do is an absolutely seamless experience, I breeze through my work at a great pace and the boss can see that. (I'm a business analyst by trade so all these tools are always opened on my screen and always in use during the day)

Anyway, the boss has said I can get a laptop supplied by work, the only condition is that has to be a Dell, they won't supply me with a Mac.

I was tempted by the offer but after now thinking about it, I really don't want to let go of my mac.

The only issue here is that when it's time to upgrade my mac, I have to pay for it (I can salary sacrifice it if I want)

I suppose the questions I have for you guys and gals out there is:

- Has anyway made the switch from mac to windows and regretted it?
- Is there any way that I might be able to persuade my company into funding the mac or at least part of it?
- Should I just stay stuff it and fork out the cash and stay in mac land next time I upgrade?

Anyones opinion would be a big help to me.

Thanks.

Shaun R
19th August 2009, 09:45 PM
Fork out the cash and stick with the Mac.

Honestly, whenever I sit down at a PC at school, I vomit a little in my mouth - the Fisher Price theme (blue menus?! Honestly?!) and the way it's all laid out is non-sensical and counter-intuitive. I breathe a sigh of relief when I get home to my beautiful, shiny iMac with it's beautiful UI and shinyness. And ease of use.

Honestly, once you go Mac, you never go back.

< /fanboy > ;)

In all honesty, no fanboyism: You'll hate Windows after using a Mac for so long.

PS: Why Office:Mac?! iWork is so much more beautiful, faster, simpler & easy to use. And there's not the 10,000,000,000 features & crap either. Or the 100 buttons on the toolbars.

wmyeoh
19th August 2009, 09:50 PM
Why don't you ask your boss to fund you for a Dell, and you'll pay for the difference and buy the Mac? Or they can Salary Sacrifice the difference (even better as you won't pay tax)?

janastas
19th August 2009, 09:50 PM
Fork out the cash and stick with the Mac.
PS: Why Office:Mac?! iWork is so much more beautiful, faster, simpler & easy to use. And there's not the 10,000,000,000 features & crap either. Or the 100 buttons on the toolbars.

mostly for exchange support for entourage, mac mail is useable but ical for an exchange calender is not an option.

I have to work on documents with large groups of people so word is a must to ensure the formatting doesn't get screwed up.

LCGuy
19th August 2009, 09:51 PM
Just take the Dell and keep your Mac. Provided you know how to use and maintain it properly, Windows isn't anywhere as bad as people make it out to be, even Vista can be quite nice when you know how to use it properly. I'd take the PC, use it for work stuff, and keep the Mac as your personal computer, something nice to come home to at the end of the day. :)

janastas
19th August 2009, 09:53 PM
Why don't you ask your boss to fund you for a Dell, and you'll pay for the difference and buy the Mac? Or they can Salary Sacrifice the difference (even better as you won't pay tax)?

Once I get approval for the dell i'll throw the question at him.

At the end of the day he doesn't make the final decision, the head of IT needs to approve it.

Mind you the company has about 1000 employees so the chances of them making an exception for me are slim but i'll give it a try any way.

I'll wait for them to say ok to the dell first.

FYI, the dell is worth ~$2200, so I can get a macbook pro 13" for a little more

iCarllovesapple
19th August 2009, 10:00 PM
I would NEVER go back to using a non Apple computer. Their warranty conditions and customer service are great (When dealing with windows I've been hung up on, yelled at and never really helped). When using a Mac you feel like there are daisies in the room but when using a PC you feel like the prickles from the roses have just stuck themselves permanently in the palm of your hand. The OS is clean. No bundled software to buy, no anti virus protection is needed yet, no need to hand in your Mac for repair unless there is a hardware problem. Everything is simple on a Mac. The UI alone is enough to keep me here. When installing a new version of windows all you see is yellow letters with a blue background. With OSX you have a beautiful display window that sings to you when you first turn on the computer.
I wouldn't accept the Dell. Just fork out the cash and buy another Mac. The Unibody Macbook Pro's are finally priced at a reasonable (but still expensive) price.. Refurb Macbook Pro's are very well priced. They're basically new Macs that use some parts from other Macbooks..
Hope you make the right choice!!

janastas
19th August 2009, 10:01 PM
Just take the Dell and keep your Mac. Provided you know how to use and maintain it properly, Windows isn't anywhere as bad as people make it out to be, even Vista can be quite nice when you know how to use it properly. I'd take the PC, use it for work stuff, and keep the Mac as your personal computer, something nice to come home to at the end of the day. :)

Using and maintaining windows isn't an issue for me, I do use windows using remote desktop during the day but i'm always looking at a single app and never switching out of that window.

The only thing that erks me a bit is that I know I can get through my work a lot quicker using the mac compared to using windows for the same thing.

Believe me, when you have lots of spaces set up on a mac and about 10 apps running at once plus another 10 windows here and there, you find the difference on mac os x, I've actually tried this on a windows box when working from home and it felt quite arckward, don't get me wrong, i got the work done, just a lot slower.

janastas
19th August 2009, 10:04 PM
I would NEVER go back to using a non Apple computer. Their warranty conditions and customer service are great (When dealing with windows I've been hung up on, yelled at and never really helped). When using a Mac you feel like there are daisies in the room but when using a PC you feel like the prickles from the roses have just stuck themselves permanently in the palm of your hand. The OS is clean. No bundled software to buy, no anti virus protection is needed yet, no need to hand in your Mac for repair unless there is a hardware problem. Everything is simple on a Mac. The UI alone is enough to keep me here. When installing a new version of windows all you see is yellow letters with a blue background. With OSX you have a beautiful display window that sings to you when you first turn on the computer.
I wouldn't accept the Dell. Just fork out the cash and buy another Mac. The Unibody Macbook Pro's are finally priced at a reasonable (but still expensive) price.. Refurb Macbook Pro's are very well priced. They're basically new Macs that use some parts from other Macbooks..
Hope you make the right choice!!

So this is what it feels like, when doves cry....

But seriously I know exactly how you feel about using a mac, the only temptation using the dell is that I don't have to pay for it.

For the mac I'll have to fork out the cash, at the moment I'm totally confused as to which way i should go.

TheKeddi
19th August 2009, 10:16 PM
If they HAVE to buy the Dell, ask the boss if you can sell it when it gets to you and buy the new mac, but then it will still belong to work. But you worked that out already, didn't you?

janastas
19th August 2009, 10:17 PM
If they HAVE to buy the Dell, ask the boss if you can sell it when it gets to you and buy the new mac, but then it will still belong to work. But you worked that out already, didn't you?

They actually lease the dells and send them back after three years, they have some sort of agreement from dell so they get a good price.

wolfie
19th August 2009, 10:20 PM
if they are so rigid in their policy.... tell them you got a cheaper option for them.

you supply your own mac, when you see fit........and all they have to do is buy the windows software for your mac as time goes on.

works out cheaper than a dell.

wolfie
19th August 2009, 10:21 PM
btw, i wouldnt go back to a pc, i feel really dirty and just get shitty whenever i have the unfortuante luck of dealing with one.

janastas
19th August 2009, 10:25 PM
if they are so rigid in their policy.... tell them you got a cheaper option for them.

you supply your own mac, when you see fit........and all they have to do is buy the windows software for your mac as time goes on.

works out cheaper than a dell.

Well I haven't really tested the waters yet about asking for a mac instead of a dell. The first step was to see if they would give me a work laptop instead of a desktop.

So far the answer is yes but I'll know definitely by tomorrow.
The second step is to give them my current situation and work out a few scenarios, I'm not going to go up to them and say give me a mac or else!

If they're reasonable enough to offer me a work laptop, they'll be reasonable enough to at least discussing an alternative to a dell.

Albert_Thurgood
19th August 2009, 10:31 PM
Before I was hired for my current position, I told them I would not even contemplate working there if I had to use a PeeCee. Now my whole department is Mac based, much to the chagrin of the IT head (who can't see how much work we have saved him).

justjack
19th August 2009, 10:33 PM
Not sure that your role as a BA would call for it, but are you required to manage project plans at all? What about process designs?

I have a MBP that I use for a range of tasks for work - particularly excel, powerpoint and word for massive solution design docs. Prob is because of the absence of a comparable 'MS Project' and 'MS Visio', I have to stick to the lame ass HP laptop work has supplied me.

Well that and Mac Excel doesn't do macros and there are some specific systems that run on Citrix I can only get through Windows...

Performance is such a difference - it just comes down to how productive you want to be & if you want to fork out the $$. The guys I work with who create all kinds of solutions (online, reporting etc) for the business are 80% MBP - all out of their own pockets too!

MissionMan
19th August 2009, 10:38 PM
Not sure that your role as a BA would call for it, but are you required to manage project plans at all? What about process designs?

I have a MBP that I use for a range of tasks for work - particularly excel, powerpoint and word for massive solution design docs. Prob is because of the absence of a comparable 'MS Project' and 'MS Visio', I have to stick to the lame ass HP laptop work has supplied me.

Well that and Mac Excel doesn't do macros and there are some specific systems that run on Citrix I can only get through Windows...

Performance is such a difference - it just comes down to how productive you want to be & if you want to fork out the $$. The guys I work with who create all kinds of solutions (online, reporting etc) for the business are 80% MBP - all out of their own pockets too!

Merlin (http://www.merlin2.net) is as good if not streets ahead of MS Project. Its also MS Project compatible.

Omnigraffle (http://www.omnigroup.com/applications/OmniGraffle/) is more powerful than Visio and also compatible although not quite as user friendly.

Download trials of both and you can dump your dell. I did a review of Merlin so it should be somewhere in the articles section.

janastas
19th August 2009, 10:40 PM

Not managing projects as yet.... but yes our managers do use ms project linked to an ms project server, I do use visio on occasion which I run off a vm of windows.

I actually use excel quite a bit but mostly for data analysis and i don't have to use macros much.

Put it this way, I can put a lot of my success in my job down to how i manage my work on my mac, i've looked at the windows equivalent and to tell you the truth just thinking about it drives me nuts.

Compared to other people using windows doing the same job, I can tell you i can do it a lot quicker.

janastas
19th August 2009, 10:41 PM
Merlin (http://www.merlin2.net) is as good if not streets ahead of MS Project. Its also MS Project compatible.

Omnigraffle (http://www.omnigroup.com/applications/OmniGraffle/) is more powerful than Visio and also compatible although not quite as user friendly.

Download trials of both and you can dump your dell. I did a review of Merlin so it should be somewhere in the articles section.

Yes I've read your review, how well does merlin integration with ms project server if at all?

i've used omnigraffle and it's not too bad, still use visio when then need arises though.

justjack
19th August 2009, 10:44 PM
Thanks for the inputs gents...

I've heard of Merlin - guess I'm just too tight to pay for software for work that I've already been given a copy of for free! ;p

Angsty
19th August 2009, 10:48 PM
I took one look at the Acer desktop I had been assigned (wow! a Celeron processor!), turned up my nose at it and bought myself a Mac Book Air. I managed to get Office 2007 and Visio via a staff home-use offer and am currently using Windows 7 via Bootcamp partition. (Will likely go back to XP Pro when the RC expires)

I have had absolutely no problems using this machine as a 100% work machine - doing all the tasks requird of me in a large enterprise. (Thank goodness my 2 co-workers were certified MS people so helped me get my settings and configs all set up.) No one at work has mentioned its was a problem to BYO my own work machine. Of course, I don't expect the Help Desk to assist me and my unsported machine...

Stick to what gets you the results your workplace requires of your work performance. The idea to offer to pay the difference between the Dell and a MBP sounds reasonable - will your boss agree to this?

Ang

MissionMan
19th August 2009, 11:00 PM
Thanks for the inputs gents...

I've heard of Merlin - guess I'm just too tight to pay for software for work that I've already been given a copy of for free! ;p

I'd pay double that if it meant I didn't have to start of a Dell Windows Machine to work :p

justjack
19th August 2009, 11:06 PM
I'd pay double that if it meant I didn't have to start of a Dell Windows Machine to work :p

Touche :D

janastas
20th August 2009, 10:01 AM
I took one look at the Acer desktop I had been assigned (wow! a Celeron processor!), turned up my nose at it and bought myself a Mac Book Air. I managed to get Office 2007 and Visio via a staff home-use offer and am currently using Windows 7 via Bootcamp partition. (Will likely go back to XP Pro when the RC expires)

I have had absolutely no problems using this machine as a 100% work machine - doing all the tasks requird of me in a large enterprise. (Thank goodness my 2 co-workers were certified MS people so helped me get my settings and configs all set up.) No one at work has mentioned its was a problem to BYO my own work machine. Of course, I don't expect the Help Desk to assist me and my unsported machine...

Stick to what gets you the results your workplace requires of your work performance. The idea to offer to pay the difference between the Dell and a MBP sounds reasonable - will your boss agree to this?

Ang

Well as I said i've been using this machine for the last three years without an issues.

I'm getting some great results with my current setup and I'm afraid if i go back to only windows it's really going to impact on how efficiently I get through my work

Lutze
20th August 2009, 10:36 AM
This might be helpful... Snow Leopard (http://www.apple.com/macosx/exchange.html) (Due in ~ a month) has FULL Exchange 2007 support built in. You could buy a new laptop today, get the new OS for $15 when it comes out and be cooking with gas.

Or just wait until release to buy the new laptop.

janastas
20th August 2009, 10:47 AM
This might be helpful... Snow Leopard (http://www.apple.com/macosx/exchange.html) (Due in ~ a month) has FULL Exchange 2007 support built in. You could buy a new laptop today, get the new OS for $15 when it comes out and be cooking with gas.

Or just wait until release to buy the new laptop.

Yes, thanks I know there will be full exchange support in Snow Leopard, still waiting on the response from the boss about work footing the bill for the laptop.

janastas
20th August 2009, 02:07 PM
Well I had a bit of a discussion with my manager today and he thinks I have a strong case to get work to purchase me a mac.

He'll pass it up the food chain and see if he can the blessings from the managers above.

Fingers crossed....

canonafficionado
20th August 2009, 02:46 PM
I like this thread! Some of the comments are almost a bit poetic.

I have the same issue - work is very Windows, and I would dearly love to somehow use a Mac at work.

It's such a turn around from an early role at another place when, on the day I arrived, I was horried to see a new aqua blue G3 sitting on my desk. I was not amused.

Rolling forward to 2009, I don't think it's right to have to buy your own machine but hopefully we all continue to make noise for more Mac friendly work places.

janastas
20th August 2009, 02:54 PM
I like this thread! Some of the comments are almost a bit poetic.

I have the same issue - work is very Windows, and I would dearly love to somehow use a Mac at work.

It's such a turn around from an early role at another place when, on the day I arrived, I was horried to see a new aqua blue G3 sitting on my desk. I was not amused.

Rolling forward to 2009, I don't think it's right to have to buy your own machine but hopefully we all continue to make noise for more Mac friendly work places.

It's hard being the mac user in windows workplace!

I'll throw in a Mac bias quote I heard on a podcast a while back:

"10% of computer users are Mac users, but they are the top 10%"

stewiesno1
21st August 2009, 05:56 AM
I'm sure any manager or accountant would be sympathetic if you point out to them that you are 30% more productive on a Mac compared to the PC they are thinking of making you use.
Work that out over a year at your $/hr and the benefits would be blindingly obvious.
Screw paying one cent towards a new Mac at all if you are saving them $3, $4 , $5,000 + each year.

Stewie

Angsty
21st August 2009, 10:12 AM

I agree with the lack of Project and Visio software for a Mac. There are similar apps out there for sure, but they don't have the inter-operability I need with the rest of the Office apps. Eg - double click on a Visio diagram embedded into a Word document and edit it right there.

My compromise is that my MBA is a 100% Windows/Office machine during the day via Bootcamp and there is no difference in performance or functionality for me or for my team; the fact that I am using a Mac is transparent - as it should be anyway. (Of course, I draw the line at using IE6 as my browser! Phffttoo!! Firefox works fine for 90% of the intranet sites I use)

Ang

janastas
21st August 2009, 11:06 AM
I'm sure any manager or accountant would be sympathetic if you point out to them that you are 30% more productive on a Mac compared to the PC they are thinking of making you use.
Work that out over a year at your $/hr and the benefits would be blindingly obvious.
Screw paying one cent towards a new Mac at all if you are saving them $3, $4 , $5,000 + each year.

Stewie

I'm going to be stubborn here, I've thought about it and even if they say they wont fund it i'm still going to buy it. (I'll salary sacrifice it)

Just the thought of using a windows laptop as my primary work machine is making me cringe.

MissionMan
21st August 2009, 11:26 AM
I'm going to be stubborn here, I've thought about it and even if they say they wont fund it i'm still going to buy it. (I'll salary sacrifice it)

Just the thought of using a windows laptop as my primary work machine is making me cringe.

What type of work do you do?

janastas
21st August 2009, 11:32 AM
What type of work do you do?

I'm technically a business analyst but you can throw in, junior project manager/tester/trainer/consultant.

I work in the superannuation industry and a lot of my time revolves around design work for new and existing system, testing, documentation, liaising with developers and clients and other staff internally.

I'm pretty much the middle man that does everything.

MissionMan
21st August 2009, 11:37 AM
If you constantly have to change your network settings to work at customers, using VM's can easily be justified and if thats the case, whether you are running Mac or PC becomes a null point. I've moved most of our consultant's onto VM's now, even those on windows because you can create a vanilla VM for each customer and let them customise it for their network environment (exchange/anti virus/network etc).

janastas
21st August 2009, 12:07 PM
If you constantly have to change your network settings to work at customers, using VM's can easily be justified and if thats the case, whether you are running Mac or PC becomes a null point. I've moved most of our consultant's onto VM's now, even those on windows because you can create a vanilla VM for each customer and let them customise it for their network environment (exchange/anti virus/network etc).

Network settings don't really have to change, it's more between work and home.

When I head off to a client site I use their systems to do what I need to.

My laptop is a backup if I need to VPN in to to do something.

keithfer15
21st August 2009, 11:31 PM
i work mostly on open source and our company tries to move into complete open source, with Java, My SQL, PHP to do the system

iJordie
22nd August 2009, 07:23 PM
I would wait for snow leopard which supposedly has exchange support (ical, mail etc). I assume it works just as seamless as it does the iPhone. I read in an article that NSW DET switched to iPhones for corporate staff in favor of BlackBerries. cos the blackberries were not working with exchange.

If I was head of IT I would buy the staff iMacs/Macbooks as they are so much more versatile than the equivalent Pc model. I.e Running windows/Mac.

just my 2c

Mikey D
22nd August 2009, 07:23 PM

It doesn't work like this. Most likely his work is only buying from dell so that they can get credit from DFS. His boss won't be paying up front - most likely over 4 years.

janastas
23rd August 2009, 03:53 PM
It doesn't work like this. Most likely his work is only buying from dell so that they can get credit from DFS. His boss won't be paying up front - most likely over 4 years.

I think you're right. I've left it in my bosses hands to see what he can do.

The funding for the laptop would come out of the departments budget anyway, so i'll let the powers higher up argue my request.

I'm hoping for a good outcome as it means other staff in my position could get a mac laptop as well.

As I said in a previous post, I've been using my current mbp for three years now with no issues.

mestevie
23rd August 2009, 04:02 PM
This is an interesting thread.

I reckon let them buy you the dell laptop. Leave it in it's box and use it as a laptop stand for your MBP.

Make a statement.

janastas
23rd August 2009, 04:33 PM
This is an interesting thread.

I reckon let them buy you the dell laptop. Leave it in it's box and use it as a laptop stand for your MBP.

Make a statement.

Hmmm, I don't think that would really work too well.

If they saw that I wasn't using it they would simply give it to someone else.

I think I would make more of a statement asking for a mac laptop.

If they didn't approve the purchase of a mac I could just tell them I'd rather buy my own and use it which is what I will do if the mac purchase doesn't get approved.

Apple_Lover
23rd August 2009, 05:54 PM
Staying on a Mac will be a better experience and just feels so much better. In saying that I have both Mac and PC at home and don't might being versatile and going PC if needed, but I guess since your at work and you have to use a dell many hours straight that may suck since your adapted to your mbp.

janastas
24th August 2009, 10:37 AM
Staying on a Mac will be a better experience and just feels so much better. In saying that I have both Mac and PC at home and don't might being versatile and going PC if needed, but I guess since your at work and you have to use a dell many hours straight that may suck since your adapted to your mbp.

Well I suppose the greatest benefit of the mac is that you can run a windows vm whenever you need to, no need for separate hardware.

I have a windows vm and I find I rarely have to fire it up.

The other benefits of having a windows vm is that I can run it as a dedicated testing environment with minimal risk of corrupting the environment. (e.g. surfing the web, installing unnecessary apps, etc.)

I've had my current vm for three years now without needing to reinstall windows and everything is running smoothly.

janastas
30th October 2009, 03:13 PM
Well I've finally had a response back from work about them purchasing a mac for work use.

The end decision was they will only purchase dells for work use but i can still salary sacrifice a mac laptop if i like.

We've agreed that they will install a windows vm for me with any necessary software I require which is all i really need from them, I already have the rest of the software I need.

So I save myself the trouble of getting a windows licence and software.

I suppose it's not as good as getting a laptop paid for from work but at least i can get windows software off them.

MissionMan
30th October 2009, 03:19 PM
The advantage you have is you own the mac, you wouldn't with the dell.

canonafficionado
30th October 2009, 03:37 PM
If you have a windows vm doesn't that still mean you/work effectively have paid for a windows license anyhow? Or is that bundled with it?

I'd really like to set up windows on my MBP for occassional use but I'm worried it will hog space and corrupt the whole machine in some way.

MissionMan
30th October 2009, 03:42 PM
The windows VM is generally only about 6-10GB so it won't hog space unless you dump info on. It could be larger obviously if you start installing large games.

It doesn't come with a windows license but you can buy one off ebay for about $200.

Dux
30th October 2009, 03:42 PM
If you have a windows vm doesn't that still mean you/work effectively have paid for a windows license anyhow? Or is that bundled with it?

Volume Licence maybe?

janastas
30th October 2009, 04:18 PM
Volume Licence maybe?

Yes it's volume work license and they've agreed to give me windows 7

Lutze
30th October 2009, 05:45 PM
*smug mode*

I'm sat in work with my Macbook Pro 17" with our citrix systems running smoothly on it doing my work like a good little drone.

The CIO walked past a few days ago and took a peek, saw that I was working on it. He approved it and now my manager is steaming mad.

He has purchased desktops for us all (even though he knew I intended to buy this and use it for work) Though he'll be resigned to me using this as we had to give my monitors to other clients.

It's great using this - but they are in a blind panic that the CEO and CFO will see it and go "ohhh shiny, we want!" and then, of course, everyone will want one.

janastas
30th October 2009, 06:36 PM
*smug mode*

I'm sat in work with my Macbook Pro 17" with our citrix systems running smoothly on it doing my work like a good little drone.

The CIO walked past a few days ago and took a peek, saw that I was working on it. He approved it and now my manager is steaming mad.

He has purchased desktops for us all (even though he knew I intended to buy this and use it for work) Though he'll be resigned to me using this as we had to give my monitors to other clients.

It's great using this - but they are in a blind panic that the CEO and CFO will see it and go "ohhh shiny, we want!" and then, of course, everyone will want one.

Haha! I wish that will will happen at my office.

Most of my floor works off unix environments anyway, my work is a mix of both but i only need to run windows for testing purposes, everything else can run off a mac.

I find using the mac is better for managing day to day tasks and keeping yourself organised.

I tried writing a list of software that does the equivalent on windows and I sort of panicked and gave up on the idea.

By all means you could do it on windows but the experience would be a lot clunkier.

canonafficionado
1st November 2009, 06:36 PM
Yes it's volume work license and they've agreed to give me windows 7

Ahhh, thanks guys. That's helpful at least.

canonafficionado
1st November 2009, 06:39 PM

Haha... so true. Given the work requests for other shiny Apple products (take a bow iPhone) that is very likely!

edit: yes I probably should learn how to multi-quote.

janastas
16th November 2009, 12:57 PM
Well I now have pre approval to buy a new laptop.

I've weighed it down to the following to MBP's:

15" 2.53
15" 2.66

Some of the apps I use are as follows:

Safari (I always have at least 10 tabs open), Apple Mail, iCal, Address Book, MSN messenger, Adium, iTunes, Time tracking Apps, Versions, Things, 4-5 windows remote desktops open, word, excel, textwrangler (I open up rather large files, 50 > 100 MB) Tweetie, vmware fusion with windows 7 (I use ie8, microsoft visio, office, and project etc), plus other various apps that I need.

I'm starting to struggle on my current mbp late 06 2.33 Ghz with all this stuff open.

So I'm wondering is it work spending a little extra on the 2.66 or go with the 2.53 and upgrade the ram to 6GB.

Thoughts?