PDA

View Full Version : Time Capsule $300 price drop - RANT!

SimplyBea
19th August 2009, 10:53 AM
I finally bit the bullet and purchased the 1TB @ $729 on 25th June. I was looking at getting a 2nd one for the mbp so I went online to look at the product range and I was SHOCKED!
The 1TB TC is now $429 and there is a 2TB model for $729 from 1st August according to the sales person I spoke to.
A $300 price drop with NO INDICATION to the unsuspecting customer!
It was hard enough for me to justify the expense with the current uncertainties with work etc and you would expect this of "the other side", so I thought. We have been saving up and changing over to all Apple stuff over the last 2 years because we believed that Apple was a fairer company...... DISAPPOINTED BIG TIME!
According to the sales person I spoke to - if the product had been purchased within 14 days of the price drop they could have adjusted the price. Anyone out there with a crystal ball? You will need one with Apple from now on it seems if you are planning on buying an APPLE product.... it's not even 3rd party "beyond our control" situation
I feel cheated in a MEGA way - $300 could have gone a long way into another Apple product - I could have got almost 2 TCs paying just $129 more if I had placed the order just 38 days later!
I LOVE the TC but I can't bring myself to buy the 2nd one I was planning to get because money just doesn't grow on trees.

:mad: :mad: :mad:

Phase
19th August 2009, 10:55 AM
It has always been this way.

Buy what you need, when you need it, at a price you find acceptable.

All else is conjecture.

Quamen
19th August 2009, 11:00 AM
It has always been this way.

All else is conjecture.

What he said!

You bought it at the price it was advertised for. You obviously thought it was a good deal at the time, otherwise you wouldn't have purchased it.

Quit your whining and suck it up.

tcn33
19th August 2009, 11:08 AM
There's no pleasing some people.

Price goes up: Apple are assholes.
Price goes down: Apple are assholes.
Price remains steady: Apple are assholes because the dollar is stronger now than it used to be so the price should have gone down.
Price remains steady and dollar is weaker: Apple are assholes for not updating Product X.

The price of consumer electronics trends downward over time. It's a fact of life that we all just have to learn to deal with.

SimplyBea
19th August 2009, 11:12 AM
Well - I am really sorry if it appears that I am whining because I didn't think I was.

I have always been a keen supporter of Macs even when I have to use Windows at work and have been telling everyone about how good Macs are and how happy I have been with the quality of the products and service from Apple.

I am just shocked - and didn't expect that this is the norm. So now that I know, I will just go away in my little space and try to 'get over it' until I can come back here with the 'big boys' who know it all!

I suspect there are other more trusting people out there like me who don't quite 'know all the ropes' yet but are learning from respectful pros which is why we come to these forums.

:(

Actually when the price rise is reflective of the currency exchange - I am quite accepting of it - different principles here.

Dux
19th August 2009, 11:12 AM
If you bought it one or two days before the price drop, fair enough.

You bought it almost a month before the drop! You have nothing to complain about, seriously.

icant
19th August 2009, 11:36 AM
have been telling everyone about how good Macs are and how happy I have been with the quality of the products and service from Apple.

Now you can tell them about the good prices too.

nbetts
19th August 2009, 11:43 AM
Your title contained "RANT" hence whining... but moving on.

This is the same worldwide with so many Tech products. Its not Confined to Apple. All manufacturers refresh and update lines and adjust pricing accordingly.

EG what if 2 weeks ago you bought a PS3 only to wake up today and see they are now releasing a PS3 slim and with a big pricedrop!

Companies cant say "Hey we are going to update our lines in 2 months so dont buy any of our stuff now" what wouldbe the commercial point in that? they would constantly have a bunch of superceeded stock lying around.

I bought a Macbook 13" in March only to see the macbook line freshed no long after... thems the breaks...

mitty
19th August 2009, 11:47 AM
I have been bitten in the same way many times with tech products over the years. It's just the nature of the beast, and certainly not confined to Apple. Sometimes you are lucky, sometimes you aren't.

icant
19th August 2009, 11:47 AM
There's no pleasing some people.

Price goes up: Apple are assholes.

http://img.skitch.com/20090819-g6r9w2369gf5mmrs69syfbfmp8.jpg

BLINDER
19th August 2009, 12:17 PM
We have been saving up and changing over to all Apple stuff over the last 2 years because we believed that Apple was a fairer company...... DISAPPOINTED BIG TIME!

Apple is a company.
They operate like all other companies - and that includes abiding by the laws in the US and Australia.
I know how frustrating it is to think you've lost money but the computer industry is very fickle and sometimes the price drops are gobsmackingly astounding.
Sometime in the future it'll work in your favour...

tcimac
19th August 2009, 12:18 PM
Same thing happened to me when I purchased my 17" 2006 iMac - only 3 months later the new aluminium iMacs came out with the 21" the same price with a larger HD etc... and there was no 'advertised' change.

I should have believed the hype about the pending annoucements that would be made at the WWDC.

Anyway, it is always the case despite what you buy. One day a product is X and the next it is Y - shit happens !!!

By the way - just on a side note - why buy a Time Capsule over any other external hard drive??

Dux
19th August 2009, 12:21 PM
By the way - just on a side note - why buy a Time Capsule over any other external hard drive??

It's the only NAS that is officially compatible with Time Machine, for various reasons. BRAAAIINNNSSS will explain.

rustyshelf
19th August 2009, 12:24 PM
I think people are being a bit harsh, it's annoying when that happens.

I don't think there's anything to complain about, you said yourself you want a second one, so hey you just saved $300. Enjoy.

Technology will always drop in price or be replaced by something newer and shinier at the same price. You can't wait forever, so you just have to buy it when you need it and ignore what comes out later ;)

esm
19th August 2009, 12:41 PM
Your title contained "RANT" hence whining... but moving on.

This is the same worldwide with so many Tech products. Its not Confined to Apple. All manufacturers refresh and update lines and adjust pricing accordingly.

well said.. it is just the way it is with tech products :)

elmer

fother
19th August 2009, 01:13 PM
I'd look at it another way - you were ready to buy a 2nd TC for $729, instead you can buy one with twice the capacity for that price, so overall you're getting three for the price of two, compared to what you though you'd get. Win!

dekco
19th August 2009, 01:16 PM
not just to electronics, even that fish selling in the supermarket is prone to price fluctuations. in the world of consumer electronics, i just hold off until i must have it. oh, and doing as much homework can only do so much

mitty
19th August 2009, 01:19 PM
Also, sell the one you already have on ebay to some schmo who knows nothing about retail pricing. Rebuy the double capacity one, or save some cash and buy the cheaper one.

Currawong
19th August 2009, 01:26 PM
It could be worse, you could have no idea about MacTalk and just be some regular punter who walks into an Apple reseller just after new models have come out, and the staff there sell you, for full retail, the (now) old model. Bit harder to do that now everyone has the internet, but I've seen it done, years ago.

Lutze
19th August 2009, 01:27 PM
It could be worse, you could have no idea about MacTalk and just be some regular punter who walks into an Apple reseller just after new models have come out, and the staff there sell you, for full retail, the (now) old model. Bit harder to do that now everyone has the internet, but I've seen it done, years ago.

There was a thread on here not long ago where that happened - guy walked into a reseller and got sold a now out dated model after hearing about the new ones... the reseller did not have the new unibody stuff in stock (nobody did at that point).

Alessiman
19th August 2009, 01:32 PM
This is a good example when threads should be deleted. The OP bought a technology product only to be "surprised" when the price drops a couple of months later?

You buy all technology products on the view that it is obsolete the day you get it. If your so worried about price drops then buy the day a new product is released. Otherwise suck it up and move on

It will happen again, we have all been thru it. Ranting about something that is no fault of Apple does no one any favors

Japester
19th August 2009, 01:52 PM
There are some items you can predict, like iPods. I wouldn't buy one now because I know that iPod Season comes in September. iPhones come in June/July. All other bets are off. This is an old story and there's nothing more you can say about it.

hangdog
19th August 2009, 01:57 PM
Hey, I bought (for work) a Mac LCII with 10MB memory and 120MB hard disk, and a Laserwriter IIf with 8MB memory in 1992 for $10,000. Now I can buy a refurb Mini for $799 and a laser printer for $100. DAMN YOU, APPLE!:mad:

Seriously, though, that's just how it goes. Pay what you think is fair, get some use out of it, upgrade when the time is right. It's only technology.

dsiew
19th August 2009, 03:09 PM
HA! The refurb 1TB TC (http://store.apple.com/au/product/FB277X/A?mco=MjE0NzU0OA) costs MORE than a new one. :)

opilot87
19th August 2009, 03:34 PM
I LOVE the TC but I can't bring myself to buy the 2nd one I was planning to get because money just doesn't grow on trees.

:mad: :mad: :mad:

Let me get this straight, you were planning to buy a 2nd one, but now that the price has dropped $300, you can't bring yourself to buy one? .. And because money doesn't grow on trees, you would rather pay $300 more?

Intelligent...

ninja
23rd August 2009, 09:09 AM
If you buy a new one, then the average will be lower :)

ctd
23rd August 2009, 12:28 PM
I'm surprised no one's piped up and pointed out that a rule before purchasing Apple products should be to check MacRumor's buyer's guide (http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/) first.

matthew858
23rd August 2009, 12:32 PM
I'm surprised no one's piped up and pointed out that a rule before purchasing Apple products should be to check MacRumor's buyer's guide (http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/) first.

Except that Apple can often surprise people and do an un-expected update of products, and the guide doesn't cover accessories like Time Capsules and AirPort Extremes. Isn't it about time for an AppleTV upgrade, Apple?

IIe2PB
23rd August 2009, 12:51 PM
I find this buyers guide (http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/) very useful for the bigger stuff. It at least allows you to go in with some idea of what is likely to happen.

It doesn't really work for the smaller stuff though :(

davidw89
24th August 2009, 06:31 PM
My sister bought the previous generation 13" Macbook like a few week before the new models were out. The newer model is like more than $300 cheaper + better specs. She didn't whinge when i told her a newer model came out at a cheaper price.

alepro
25th August 2009, 02:12 PM
Technology drops in price... that's pretty much obvious to anyone who ever bought a computer/TV/mobile phone etc.

To my knowledge Apple is the only company that will refund you the difference in price when a product you purchased from them gets a price drop, if you purchased it within 2 weeks of the price drop. I think that's pretty fair.

As an aside: The TC was always hopelessly overpriced at it's original price point. They really HAD to bring it lower, though I still wouldn't buy one. AEB with ext. HDD is much more flexible, and much cheaper.

If you feel like you need more space on your TC, why don't you just attach an external drive? 1TB ext. HDD goes for under $200 these days.