PDA

View Full Version : mbp 3,1 8600M GT. External display issues?

dekco
18th August 2009, 12:17 AM
Only this evening, after from work, I booted up my 17" mbp, and the display starts flickering, as well as some distortion of images. this happens more so when im plugged to the external display; but it happens intermittently without the external display plugged in.

once i get the flickering screen, i cannot do anything. the time freezes, mouse pointer freezes, and nothing works. i have to physically press the power button to force it to turn off.

im currently using a MA897X/A with upgraded 4gb ram (aftermarket), i do not have access to the original apple 2gb ram.
my external monitor is the dell 2209WA; plugged into my monitor is an apple aluminium keyboard and a microsoft intellimouse (recycled from my old pc).

do i have a graphics card problem? and will it be covered under warranty?

dche5390
20th August 2009, 02:28 PM
Ah its the infamous 8600MGT Nvidia issue (http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2377). Even if the unit is out of warranty, take it for a (free) repair as even Apple as recognised problems with this particular card.

dekco
21st August 2009, 12:12 AM
thanks for that, i just wasnt sure if it was the 8600MGT issue. because, the distortion of the graphics is random.

Who do I contact? Do I have to go thru apple or do i go thru a reseller and have them look at it (even though the problem is intermittent).

Also should I replace the 4gb ram with my original 2gb apple ram?

excuse the Qs as this is the first time im dealing with apple warranty.

Brains
21st August 2009, 01:17 AM
Ring the Apple support phone line, 133 622, follow the phone menus to reach Support. Explain you have a MacBook with an Nvidia graphics chip that has failed you and you want to arrange to have the logicboard replaced under the extended warranty program.