PDA

View Full Version : Imac serial number

BeePee
17th August 2009, 07:49 PM
Had cause to ring Apple this afternoon, spoke to two separate persons.
On completion of the query both asked for the Imacs serial number which reads as follows
Serial Number (system) blah blah blah
Both asked me if the Imac had been in for repair, it hasn't, bought it online from Apple 11 months ago. Both said that (system) indicated that it had been repaired
I rang a friend who bought his Imac after me in the same manner, his serial number also had (system) in it.
Any feedback would be appreciated.

Brains
18th August 2009, 12:14 AM
The iMac should by rights, show you the serial number inside System Profiler, and also if you go to 'About This Mac' and click twice in the centre. If the number is not shown in both places, it means that the main logicboard has had to be replaced, and the servicing technician was negligent and did not reprogram the serial number back into the board.

The machine's physical serial number is printed on an identity strip, found either underneath the front edge or on the rear.

When you bought the machine did you buy it from the 'Refurbished Macs' section?

Huy
18th August 2009, 12:17 AM
Mac OS X: About This Mac window provides computer serial number (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1529?viewlocale=en_US)
Intel-based iMac (Mid-2007) and later: How to locate the serial number (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1750)

BeePee
18th August 2009, 06:44 AM
OK, it shows the serial number inside the System Profiler BUT with the addition of (system).
When I double click on 'About this Mac' it shows the serial number WITHOUT the addition of (system)
Bought it new on line from Apple as did my friend.
This raises the question,

A. Have I been dudded and sold a refurbished model? or
B. The Apple staff are incorrect.

Thanks for your reply, I have trawled through other blogs and there are thousands of similar stories of Imac Serial numbers but none exactly like this, at least that I can find.

ClockWork
18th August 2009, 07:29 AM
There is also another place that the Serial Number can be found:

Shut down your iMac, unplug all cables including the Power cable, lift it off your table and place it screen down on a soft towel.

The Serial Number will be glued as a white sticker to the underside of its aluminium foot, beginning with: S/N

gumby08
18th August 2009, 07:36 AM
I don't think the word 'system' before the number signifies anything. Both my iMac and MacBook serial numbers are displayed this way. The iMac has had a repair, the MacBook hasn't.

BeePee
18th August 2009, 08:37 AM
Thanks Gumby, was starting to think my message was misunderstood, what I want (wanted) to know is does (system) before the serial number indicate the terminal has been repaired?
Finding the Serial number is no problem, what I want to know is what does (system) mean as it seems that Apple staff consider this indicates a repair.
Now if it does, I bought this Imac online direct from Apple as a NEW item and it's NEVER been in for service then something is amiss.
Any further advice would be appreciated.

ClockWork
18th August 2009, 09:19 AM
bought it online from Apple 11 months ago.

If it's having problems, take it in for a free service before the initial 1 Year Warranty expires, and at the same time, I'd highly recommend purchasing APP (AppleCare Protection Plan) - see here (http://www.apple.com/au/support/products/) - which will add another 2 Years of Warranty on.

And if it's not having problems, I suggest purchasing APP before 1 Year expires, because if a Hardware component should go belly up in the next 2 years, you'll have to fit the bill and Apple Hardware ain't cheap.

ClockWork
18th August 2009, 10:15 AM
Open the Terminal application in Macintosh HD -> Application -> Utilities and paste this in:

system_profiler

and then hit your return key on your keyboard.

It will spit out a whole heap of info, so scroll back up to the top of the Terminal, to just under where you pasted: system_profiler, and just highlight and copy the first block of info under:

Hardware Overview:

If Serial Number appears as: System Serial# - or System Serial System - or System Serial System Sal# - or System

- then one would suspect that at some point in time, the machine's logic board had been replaced yet whoever replaced it forgot to set its Serial Number, which is a good enough reason to take it in to an Apple Service Centre.

BeePee
18th August 2009, 11:22 AM
Ok CW, Terminal reads the the same as before (system) etc.
Imac is working perfectly, there must be a logical explanation for this. Apple would never admit the reason, a few others with the same read out.
My friend's Imac and mine have NEVER been in for repair, earlier posts from Gumby advise he has two terminals with the same read out ie (system) prior to the Alpha Numeric code, one has been repaired and the other hasn't.

On the dark side, I will always wonder if I have been dudded, I couldn't imagine Apple putting it's reputation on the line KNOWING that sooner or later someone more tech savvy than I would pick this up.

Conclusion: Forget about it.......

ClockWork
18th August 2009, 11:30 AM
Of course, it is possible that the logic board's Serial Number wasn't set on the conveyor belt and assembly line, whilst it was being built in the first place, yet one could venture by way of calling one's closest Apple Service Centre if this can be fixed.

Mac Ram
18th August 2009, 12:54 PM
Would this thread (http://forums.mactalk.com.au/19/53524-massive-apple-australia-warranty-scam-uncovered.html)shed any light on the confusion?

BeePee
18th August 2009, 01:26 PM
Mac Ram, read your thread, it gets murkier and murkier, something is not kosher.
A written explanation from a senior person in Apple (Aust) would resolve this, then again how would you make contact? who would you ask? don't hold your breath waiting for a reply written in undecipherable jargon. The only access I know of is via some brow beaten person answering the phones on $15 bucks an hour, he or she is not up to it, nor should they be.

Solution: A good slug of Lamb's Navy Rum and the pain disappears.

Huy
18th August 2009, 01:29 PM
BeePee: relax. Nothing to worry about.

Kevin
18th August 2009, 01:40 PM
$15 bucks an hour

Lol.

Not trying to be harsh; but suck it up princess.

There's nothing to worry about.

thorevenge
19th August 2009, 01:08 PM
It is entirely possible a legit repair was done a machine with a similar serial number to yours and when the admin person was doing the repair they mistyped the serial.

It can and does happen sadly :(