PDA

View Full Version : Degrees Down Under

yitzyf
9th July 2005, 10:31 PM
A localised Aussie weather widget, with really local weather direct from BOM website. Front Pic.

http://homepage.mac.com/rjsdev/DDUWidgetReadme.html

:thumbup:

yitzyf
9th July 2005, 10:32 PM
And here's the back:

mvjs
10th July 2005, 09:20 AM
Thanks I love it!

And a lot more accurate than the standard one.

Have you ever thought of building in weather alerts?

Like major storm warning alerts?

tempestas
10th July 2005, 10:14 AM
Excellent, finally Canberra weather that is not a few degrees or days off.

Cheers, now if you could just tap into the ABC's weather/time display on Northbourne.....

Are you looking for donations?

yitzyf
10th July 2005, 10:25 AM
I hope I didn't give the wrong impression, but I didn't make this one! I found it on VersionTracker. I wish I could do something like that.....

rurob2
10th July 2005, 10:33 AM
Hi there. I'm one of the developers of this widget, along with my partner Warwick Emanuel. Thanks for the great reception, and the suggestions for improvements.

We're not after donations at this time. Maybe once it has a few more features...

yitzyf
10th July 2005, 10:49 AM
Hi Robert,
As I said before, great Widget. I was just having a look at your site and found the Address Book Plug Ins. Is there a chance you could make a Widget for driving directions/maps from whereis.com? That would be awesome if it could be done!

rurob2
10th July 2005, 12:04 PM
Hi yitzyf. Thanks for telling people about the widget - glad you like it.

A Whereis widget is a good idea, and Warwick and I would like to look at it if we ever get time. :)

We'd need to discuss it with Sensis, who run Whereis. They may have reservations about diverting traffic from their website.

yitzyf
10th July 2005, 02:21 PM
Sensis already have their own Widget that doesn't do maps - just White Pages, Yellow Pages, News and Trading Post. Maybe if you develop it they'll put in some $$ to add it to what they've got already?

Good luck!

mvjs
10th July 2005, 02:28 PM
Street-Directory .com.au will soon have driving directions for Australia, like Map Quest in the US. That could be intergraded in a new widget, I would love that :)

DJY
10th July 2005, 02:52 PM
Outstanding!
Finally a local weather widget (with a more reliable data source!)

Thanks mate!

Look forward to watching / hearing about future developments...
like forecasts... min / max...
icons (like in the official Mac loaded one)... etc etc.

rurob2
5th February 2006, 08:36 AM
This has already been mentioned in another forum, but I thought I should add it here for completeness...

Version 1.0.1 of the Degrees Down Under Widget is now available for download at:

http://homepage.mac.com/rjsdev/.Public/DDUWidget1-0-1.zip

Changes in this release are as follows: fixed a bug which could cause the widget to crash when web pages were redirected, e.g. when connecting to a public wireless network
less likely that temporary files ending in ".png" will appear in a "Recovered Items" folder in the Trash following a log out or restart. Universal binary now tested on an Intel iMac

Many thanks to the AppleTalk Australia members who let us know about the "Recovered Items" issue and helped with testing.

sunrisesister
5th February 2006, 09:04 AM
yaaaaaay! this is one of my all time favourite widgets :)

thanks guys!

mechcon
21st February 2006, 02:45 PM
I dont know if it's a 10.4.5 issue, but my widgets are stuck on where it says "Loading..." so I went to activity monitor, and it's stopped responding, removed it, uninstalled it, reinstalled it, same thing :\

any idea why?? (a persimmon issue?)

jesski
21st February 2006, 03:00 PM
all this talk of widgets is making me want to get tiger.

mechcon
21st February 2006, 04:02 PM
good idea

cornks
21st February 2006, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by mechcon@Feb 21 2006, 02:45 PM
I dont know if it's a 10.4.5 issue, but my widgets are stuck on where it says "Loading..." so I went to activity monitor, and it's stopped responding, removed it, uninstalled it, reinstalled it, same thing :\

any idea why?? (a persimmon issue?)
I'm on intel and my update to 10.4.5 didn't impact the responsiveness of my widgets. I am logged on with Admin rights though???

mechcon
21st February 2006, 04:14 PM
im on an admin account (my own, and the only one on the machine) and i meant to say that all the rest of my widgets are fine, just the degrees down under one

rurob2
21st February 2006, 05:04 PM
Hi mechcon. Sorry to hear about the trouble you are having with our Degrees Down Under widget under 10.4.5.

I'm not sure what could be causing this. I'm on a similar system to yours (but with 1GB RAM) and the widget's working fine for me.

Are you using a web proxy of some sort? I know this has caused issues for other DDU widget users in the past. Or are you using some port blocking software like Little Snitch?

Otherwise, have you tried looking in your console.log file (via the Console application, normally stored in the \Applications\Utilities folder) for any messages that might give a clue about what's happening? Try starting Console first, then activating the Dashboard. If that doesn't give any messages, try reloading the widget (click on it in the Dashboard, then press cmd+R) with Console running.

Feel free to email me directly if you want to discuss this in more depth.

Cheers, Robert

mechcon
21st February 2006, 05:21 PM
ooh weee ooooh *mysterious tune*

well... its working now..... i swear the proxy server at work hates me, firstly its the safari issues (wont work with some sites) now this!?

by the way? i love the widget! most useful one out of the lot that i have running, bar the weather australia one, sysstat and of course the Lost game :)

rurob2
21st February 2006, 05:25 PM
Glad it's working again for you mechcon. Thanks for the nice comments. :)

mechcon
23rd February 2006, 03:50 PM
ah poop, interesting thing, it works fine on the intel imac (same network, same os versions, same widget version)

doesn't work on mine!!!! frustrating!!! :(

removed it uninstalled it, got rid of the preferences file, im too confused!!!! :(

(works at home but)

still... works here on other macs....

delicious
23rd February 2006, 05:39 PM
when you dont care for widgets you can get this little baby.
It works really well, weather pop is localised (http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/8084)

rurob2
9th May 2006, 03:45 PM
I have made some minor changes to Degrees Down Under and the DDU widget to accommodate recent changes to the Bureau of Meteorology website, which had stopped Perth weather stations from working.

The new versions are can be downloaded via these links:

Degrees Down Under 2.2 (http://homepage.mac.com/rjsdev/.Public/DegreesDownUnder2-2.dmg)
DDU Widget 1.0.2 (http://homepage.mac.com/rjsdev/.Public/DDUWidget1-0-2.zip)

Note that this is also the first Universal version of the Degrees Down Under app.