PDA

View Full Version : Imac G5 (tiger) Display Funny Business

Jazzap
8th July 2005, 07:29 PM
Hi all,

I have an iMac G5 running Tiger.

This week, for no apparent reason (no new software installed or changes made), I have experienced some strange goings on with my display. I am no longer getting the crystal clear definition I have come to expect. The icons are blurred with certain pixels in the display looking blacked out or wrongly aligned. It is not a physical problem as the problem pixels are different each time you reboot. But it is a bit like a TV with poor reception.

Any ideas how to fix it? Rebooting doesn't change anything.

One thing that occured to me is that it may be a security issue. I used to have Virex through my .Mac subscription but since upgrading to Tiger, I no longer have this. I am now not running any anti-virus.

Any help anyone can provide would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Jamie.

I got this in the wrong forum - sorry. How do I move it to the right one?

-neon-
9th July 2005, 07:43 PM
I dunno, but I have a feeling a few members would agree with me...

Not a security issue :D

That sounds like a hardware issue... Sorry. :( I'm sure the display of the iMac is driven digitally, and shouldn't be prone to tv like interference,... :huh: unless you had some massive emi generating hulk of a machine sitting next to the iMac, maybe something like a tesla coil... Hehe, sorry I kid :P

But yeah, I would be calling Apple, especially if the machine is still in warranty.

About the wrong forum thing.. Uh... Maybe one of the mods can help you out with that ;) *wink wink*

internet
9th July 2005, 08:09 PM
did you change the resolution? check in system preferences, displays panel.. it should be 1680 x 1050 for a 20"

Jazzap
11th July 2005, 11:07 PM
I took it in to Next Byte and they think it's the video card. The machine is in warranty and being fixed.

Cheers.

-neon-
12th July 2005, 09:31 AM
Good luck with it!

danno74
12th July 2005, 10:36 AM
Hi Jazzap,

Sounds like yes, it's either your video card or your capacitors are stuffed. There's a whole tonne of posts on this - check out the thread "iMac G5 midplane replacement" on this site for more info.

Sorry to hear about this issue - hope you get your Mac back soon!

:)

Jazzap
12th July 2005, 07:45 PM
Thanks Danno - now up-to-date.

Will check with Next Byte tomorrow and give you all an update on the other thread.

Cheers

Jazzap
14th July 2005, 06:37 AM
Next Byte have confirmed that it is the logic board. A new part has been ordered and should be in stock on Friday, meaning a total turnaround time of a week which I can live with.