PDA

View Full Version : is apple a fashion statement?

Asher Tuzza
14th August 2009, 01:15 PM
so i recently got told by a lawyer that you know you have made it in his firm when you get a apple laptop instead of a windows laptop, more-over its ONLY ok to have a macbook pro, the macbook's are not acceptable machines...

i know a lot of people flash about their iphones and such, but had you thought of the laptops as fashion statements and status symbols...

dolbinau
14th August 2009, 01:25 PM
Absolutely yes they can be. I'm convinced some people buy them for this reason.

Lutze
14th August 2009, 01:29 PM
In my experience most Windows users seem to believe that it's all about being fashionable. Hell most of them - even in IT - still have not moved on from single button mice for Macs.

If they don't think it's for fashion they believe it's because you working in voodoo (design, marketing or some other creative type person) - and therefore you are more than likely fashion conscious*.

/sigh

It can't be because it just works 1000% better than Windows, the very OS that drives the poor sods up the wall, can it?

*if not homosexual then at least metrosexual.

Mac Ram
14th August 2009, 01:51 PM
In the "corporate world" it's all about status. Be it the office next to the window, the car parking spot below the building, a bigger widescreen monitor, a better phone, or a better computer, etc, etc, etc

It's all corporate big dick syndrome. Bless their cotton socks.

adamd
14th August 2009, 01:58 PM
It's all corporate big dick syndrome. Bless their cotton socks.

I think you mean little.

ParisHilton
14th August 2009, 02:10 PM
I'd say about 70% of all Apple sales (Mostly iPod/iPhone) are because of this.

Kzach
14th August 2009, 02:29 PM
When the elitist snob Apple users see me and know that I have used Apple computers as a preference since primary school, through tertiary and on into life beyond school, they all whisper, "Is he allowed to have a Mac?"

SilverJ
14th August 2009, 03:01 PM
Let's face it, they are the best looking laptops and music players out there.
Generally fashion is primarily to do with aesthetics so I guess they can be a fashion accessory, if someone wants to label it that (probably a person who would label it as a fashion accessory would have bought it themselves for that reason). That's not me.

However, there is the added benefit of having OS X on it :p But the fact that it's also the best looking is bonus. It wouldn't make sense for it to be ugly when you look at what OS X is all about, with it's look and feel.

Boofhead
14th August 2009, 03:26 PM
The Mac as a fashion statement began with the first imac release IMO.

Ive owned them since getting an SE in '85. Back then i bought it for its GUI. As far as i remember you were paying a premium because there was a clear gaping gap between how a Mac did things compared to a DOS PC.

There has been much less of a difference, operating wise, since MS pursued Windows.

leon
14th August 2009, 03:28 PM
I make my Apple computers look good, not the other way around.

Renoman
14th August 2009, 03:55 PM
Just been in New York, and travelling around the subway and such made me see that iPhones in the US are a way of life, not just merely a fashion statement!

I felt embarrased to have one, because they are mostly sold to fashion/fad snobs....

Oh well. I'll be subtle about mine (ie not flash it about with whatever "coolest" cover on it) and enjoy it for what I use it as - a nicely usable music player, web browser and phone.

vecsty
14th August 2009, 04:44 PM
Apple is a design statement.

Its a brand.

decryption
14th August 2009, 04:53 PM
I'd say about 70% of all Apple sales (Mostly iPod/iPhone) are because of this.

This figure is based on numbers pulled from your arse or a more definitive source than that? :confused:

black
14th August 2009, 04:58 PM
Definitely, as dolbinau said allot of people buy it for this reason.
I no a few people who bought a mac for that reason.

The iphone was the ultimate "it" thing - accessory for males and females. Today i think you will find blackberrys are the new "thing" to people who care about that stuff... for me apple just make and design products with some class and do it beautifully. You may also find that these two things go hand in hand ( well designed - acclaimed products become popular/fashionable in certain circles)

brian_g
14th August 2009, 05:18 PM
This figure is based on numbers pulled from your arse or a more definitive source than that? :confused:

93% of all statistics are made up on the spot

wmyeoh
14th August 2009, 05:30 PM
93% of all statistics are made up on the spot

Yeah - but there's only a 48% chance that that's actually correct.

wolfie
14th August 2009, 05:30 PM
If u care about image, Apple is the way to go.
Me.... I want to look good and have a fantastic user experience

banjo
14th August 2009, 05:40 PM
If so many people buy iPhones as a fashion statement, why do so many insist on covering them in hideous cases?

wolfie
14th August 2009, 05:50 PM
I think you would find those wanting it for a fashion status will keep it naked OR having a fancy artistic unique cover/skin/case

me.. I love it pure naked.

LCGuy
14th August 2009, 06:28 PM
Personally, I find it annoying that a lot of people simply have Macs/iPhones/iPods because they're "trendy". Apart from about 4 years where my main machine was a Dell P4, in the past 16 years, my main computer has always been a Mac. I was a big Mac fanatic right when the rest of the world had forgotten about them, apart from the people who kept reminding me that "Apple's going out of business any day now", and telling me about the rumours that were circulating at the time about IBM/Microsoft/Sun/Disney/whoever buying Apple, as well as all the journos back then who loved to refer to Apple as "beleaguered". I remember all through high school it was especially fashionable to poke fun at Macs and Mac users and I copped a lot of crap for having a Mac all throughout high school. Whenever I go on facebook and see that most of my classmates from HS now have Macs, or when I walk down the street and see kids playing around with their iPod/iPhone/whatever, I personally can't help but feel ripped off slightly. Sure, there are still a lot of people who buy and use Apple products because of what they are - a great product with a great user experience, but it annoys me to no end that a lot of people who buy them these days simply do it because its "trendy".

Phase
14th August 2009, 07:42 PM
More people using Macs?

I don't care what causes them to do it, personally.

If it makes their nipples hard, that's as good a reason as any.

ClockWork
14th August 2009, 08:01 PM
vST7SaKOnzE

Like this.

Reubania
14th August 2009, 08:38 PM
LOL @ ClockWork! You never fail to bring out the LOLs.

Yes. Back to the OPP. Yes, that's why I bought myself a MacBook Air.

Were there any problems with my white MacBook? Nope. It was adequate. THE main reason why I upgraded to the Air was the weight. But whenever I pull it out, it draws gasp at how thin this machine is. Sure, you have cheaper smaller size netbooks, but not with a full screen realestate and with LED LCD screen with backlit keyboard....it just had great features and yes, it's a "fashion" statement - getting the latest and greatest, NOT necessarily the BESTEST (if there's such an adjective).

Apple IS a brand, whether you technophiles believe or not. And like fashion, brands dictate what people buy.

DagrtheSnide
14th August 2009, 08:52 PM
When will the cool kids find the Apple fashion accessories distasteful then ?

Albert_Thurgood
14th August 2009, 09:05 PM
There has been much less of a difference, operating wise, since MS plagiarised Windows.

Fixed.

And to the OP: the Partners in that firm will have an MBA.