PDA

View Full Version : Profanity in an iPhone App - is it possible?

younge
14th August 2009, 12:33 PM
Hey Guys,

I was just wondering if anyone knows what limits there are with using profanity in an iPhone app. I know that there is now a ratings system with apps, but I wasn't sure how far this stretched.

I am working on an app at the moment that may use the "f bomb" and the "c bomb" words via audio, not written (if that makes any difference). Would these words make it through the approval process - even with a 17+ rating?

Also, does anyone have any experience with an app that has used these words, or something less hardcore?

Cheers...

marc
14th August 2009, 01:34 PM
Seems like having written versions of bad words are ok if you have a 17+, but video, audio and other things might not make it through. Haven't heard of many apps pushing the boundary though. I'm sure context would play a big part in the decision. Ie. a dictionary with bad words might be ok, but using them in certain sentences might not be.

younge
14th August 2009, 03:00 PM
It's basically a comical little app, nothing much really. But, for the comedy to work it needs the language (IMHO).

A couple of four-letter words - along with some harmless ones as well - what could be so bad about that???

homerjay
14th August 2009, 03:16 PM
If i were you i wouldnt take the chance one bit with apple, Where yesterday the swear words may be allowed tomorrow they will ban your app it seems to change by the day. Maybe going with **** or something simular would get the humor across to the game player yet please apple so you can get your app published. (IMHO)

Brains
14th August 2009, 06:48 PM
The f-bomb and c-bomb words, as audio, will fail your app, even with the 'adult' rating. If you really feel the need to swear, go Galactica on their arse and frack the lot of 'em.

younge
15th August 2009, 06:04 PM
Just found this:

Apple denies censoring App Store swear words ? The Register (http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/08/06/apple_denies_dictionary_censorship/)

dj_siek
5th November 2009, 08:36 AM
Hello!

I am about to submit my first app which is based on user generated content (text and audio).

I have put filtering in to ensure major swear words are entered as *****. What I am not sure of is how to rate my app i.e 17+ or 12+.

My thinking is because I censor most swear words, I could technically rate it as 12+. Also the content is monitored and users can flag inappropriate content.

Would greatly appreciate some thoughts or advice.

Thank you

dj_siek