one_nil
8th July 2005, 11:01 AM
Ok guys,
after a month of dicking around with a guy on ebay who couldnt supply,

I need to buy my powerbook,

Ive seen on the uk site for apple that a 17" PB is

1,849.00 EUR = 2,986.07 AUD

Thats one hell of a saving from here?
And thats not even with student discount?!

Now im wondering, what taxes' etc else would i have to pay if i was to buy it from london?
Are there ways around paying taxes etc?
I was thinking if i send the boxes via snailmail and take the powerbook on the plane and just claim ive always had it, then i wouldnt have to pay these import taxes?

Anyone know the deal:?

Thanks for your advice in advance!

-michael

Disko
8th July 2005, 11:11 AM
One of our members, Comet, imported one from the US (http://forums.appletalk.com.au/index.php?showtopic=211) once. That thread might be worth a read.

one_nil
8th July 2005, 11:48 AM
hmm,
just read that thread,

seems pretty helpful...

wondering if anyones imported one from UK ?

boombah
8th July 2005, 12:11 PM
I bought a refurb 12" Powerbook a few months before I returned home from the UK just over a year ago. Just carried the laptop in a laptop bag with me and was fine. Didn't bother sending the boxes over as I didn't really see the need for carrying all the extra stuff with me.

one_nil
8th July 2005, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by boombah@Jul 8 2005, 12:11 PM
I bought a refurb 12" Powerbook a few months before I returned home from the UK just over a year ago. Just carried the laptop in a laptop bag with me and was fine. Didn't bother sending the boxes over as I didn't really see the need for carrying all the extra stuff with me.
and it was alot cheaper hey?

hmm,
No troubles going through customs?

I can get my mrs to buy it over there and carry it back, as she's there atm...

Only thing different you have to do is use a power converter plug hey?

one_nil
8th July 2005, 01:28 PM
hmm, after re reading that thread,

If i just buy it over there, for 3000$ from an apple store,

And i get it brought it in box and all in her luggage....
the most i will pay if i declare it is 10% GST which is 300$ ?

spargo
9th July 2005, 11:43 PM
Originally posted by one_nil@Jul 8 2005, 02:01 AM
Ive seen on the uk site for apple that a 17" PB is

1,849.00 EUR = 2,986.07 AUD

Thats one hell of a saving from here?
And thats not even with student discount?!

Now im wondering, what taxes' etc else would i have to pay if i was to buy it from london?
Are there ways around paying taxes etc?
Wait up Michael, i'm concerned that you've written that the 17" PB costs 1,849.00 EUR.. Last I checked my money clip the UK/London currency is GBP//Pounds.. not /EUR/Euro..

Sorry to ruin your excitement, but your looking at the wrong Apple Store, then converting the Euro price for a 17" PB, using the 1,849 price thinking that is the price in GBP Pounds..

Anyway, so we can sort this out for you before you come to London, here are the stats that I dug up, using the UK on-line store, and the currency conversion Widget on the Tiger dashboard..

(all prices are stock standard 17" off the shelf models, and in $A or GBP where relevant)

17" in Australia = A$ 4,299.00
This Equals 1,835 (as at the time of this post)

17" in London Retail Store (price from UK on-line store) = 1,849.00 (1,573.62 ex VAT)
This Equals A$4,331

This means there is no worthwhile difference between the two countries. Sorry.

So you now have some options:

You can either buy it in Australia, within 30 days of departure, get a tax invoice from where you buy it, and then claim the GST back at the airport. This option would save you about A$430 I suppose..

Or you can indeed buy it in London at the Apple Retail Store on Regent Street (way cool if you could do that!), when you buy ask them about it and get a proper tax invoice from them which clearly shows your name (spelt correctly!) and the VAT amounts, then when you leave the UK you can get the VAT back just near the check-in counters - as I said above, the difference in VAT vs non-VAT is 246 which currently equals a saving of A$646..

If you do choose the second option, I suggest you look into it carefully and sort out exactly what info you need from the retailer where you brought the PB, to satisfy the VAT-back officers at the airport..

And If you do consider doing any of this, please check all of this info out for yourself - this is my disclaimer in case I have any of this wrong!!! :unsure:

All my contact details are below if you want any more info..

spargo
10th July 2005, 12:05 AM
Oh, and incase you don't know, the standard Apple warranty is 12 months WORLDWIDE.. so you can bring it back and its still covered.. its only the extended warranty that needs to be applied to a country.

And if you got it while you're over here, you'd then have a UK power point on the power adaptor because its purchased here, so i'd suggest just buying a UK to AUS converter socket at Heathrow for like 7, just like if your a pommie tourist bringing a hairdryer on holiday to Sydney... no big deal..

Good luck!

Squozen
10th July 2005, 12:50 PM
You'd also have the horrible UK keyboard layout.

http://www.gwright.org.uk/images/cache/pic...ok-Keyboard.jpg (http://www.gwright.org.uk/images/cache/pictures/PowerBook/1280x960/AlBook-Keyboard.jpg)

Apologies to the UK folk, but putting a key between Z and the left shift key is vile... and the less said about that return key, the better. :)

LCGuy
10th July 2005, 03:21 PM
Eww yes i forgot about that, i can't stand those horrible UK keyboards.

one_nil
10th July 2005, 06:52 PM
haha thanks guys

Damn, going off the Euro was so much better! :(

I guess ill just buy it here then..
Student discount at least...

While you guys are in this thread,
With the ram, is it true that the ram in the powerbooks is samsung?
How much should a 1GB stick set me back from the local pc shop?

Georgina EG
10th July 2005, 11:54 PM
So why is the UK keyboard different? I thought they would be all the same in the English speaking world.

spargo
11th July 2005, 08:14 AM
Originally posted by one_nil@Jul 10 2005, 09:52 AM
haha thanks guys

Damn, going off the Euro was so much better! :(

I guess ill just buy it here then..
Student discount at least...
Definitely go with that then one_nil - that's exactly what I did with our PB, the Airport Express, and our 40Gig 4th Gen iPod..

All brought as an educational purchase in Brisbane, within 30 days of departure, so as well as the Edu discount, we got the GST back at the airport when we left.. That should equal the potential saving of buying it in the UK anyway, and it'll have an Aussie socket on it..

I brought the PB, AE, and iPod back to Brisbane for a few weeks in March, and discretely got it though customs, therefore avoiding having to pay back that GST they so kindly gave me when I left.. Then I brought it back to London with me..

Just be wary of that - e.g. just get someone else to carry it through for you, they'll have no way of linking it back to you - and if they are questioned, just tell them you purchased it ages ago blah blah blah.. ;)

Oh, and the RAM thing, check out the Pinned RAM topic discussing RAM for Apple Notebooks - plenty of info discussed in there..