PDA

View Full Version : Macbook Pro Cooling

hut1dav
12th August 2009, 09:47 PM
Hey guys, where exactly are the cooling fans on this thing? its like whisper quiet and cant spot any cooling holes anywhere?

also

is there any way i can tell when my computer was actually made?
like the week and month at all?

kiwijohn
12th August 2009, 09:51 PM
There's a vent behind the screen hinge & I assume through the keyboard as well.

~Coxy
13th August 2009, 10:32 AM
Two fans inside the base exhaust air out of the back vent.

I think there's programs that will decode your serial number and tell you where and when the Mac was built.

Brains
13th August 2009, 12:31 PM
Second question first: get coconutIdentityCard (http://www.coconut-flavour.com/coconutidentitycard/index.html), it will tell you not only when your Mac (or any other device with an Apple serial number) was built, but where.

Your MacBook Pro will have one or two fans, depending on model and generation. All MacBooks and MacBook Pros have a single, combined intake and thermal exhaust which is situated at the very back of the machine where the screen-hinge is. Push your screen open as far as it will comfortably go and then look down into the hinge to see the vent.

The second-largest thermal exhaust doesn't rely on moving air -- it is the keyboard. On non-unibody models, the keyboard is a lot of thin plastic mounted on a thin sheet of steel with a black thermoplastic backing. On unibody models, the keyboard is also the thinnest part of the case, and underneath the topshell's frame the keyboard is very much like it's older siblings. This is why it is not recommended to operate a Mac laptop with the lid closed for any length of time.

Thirdly, with the new unibody casing being essentially a solid block of metal, the case itself also acts as a major thermal exhaust, but mostly for the battery which can generate quite a lot of heat during charge and discharge. This has unfortunately given rise to some valid complaints that the casing of a unibody laptop can become too hot to touch!

Apple's design criteria and insistence on unbroken clean lines means that unlike other laptops there is no base-vent, no side-venting, and no ancilliary vent-holes, just the one long thin vent at the back. The side-effect is that Apple laptops will always run a little warmer than other brands, and that the fan(s) are always running. It is a good idea to install iStat Menus (http://www.islayer.com/apps/istatmenus/) (written by our very own iSlayer!) to keep an eye on your machine's various temperatures and fan-speeds.

linkx
3rd September 2009, 07:46 PM
Crap! No wonder my mbp temperature is pretty high hovering at 50+ and spiking to 60-70C at times, cause i use it closed lid attached to an external monitor.
Cause its time to invest in a laptop stand or cooler.

Phunky
3rd September 2009, 09:16 PM
Thats not that hot at all
Mine reaches 90 under full load using handbrake
Setting the fans to 4200rpm with smcfancontrol brings it back down to 73