PDA

View Full Version : Transfering Account to a new Mac

thomaswilliams
11th August 2009, 09:30 AM
Hi All,

Whats the best way to transfer my existing account on a Powermac G5 to a new Intel iMac? I want to include the following:

- All my mail and settings
- All my bookmarks (Safari)
- All my general settings / passwords etc.

I don't however want to transfer any software, as I would like to do a clean install (CS4 / Office etc.)

I was thinking migration assistant? I have never used this and have no idea how to use it.

Thanks in advance!

ClockWork
11th August 2009, 09:44 AM
You could use the Migration Assistant - yet often it's not perfect.

Best way in my opinion is to do so manually, by putting the G5 into Target Disk Mode, and copying over your Users folder.

The Users folder contains all your documents, pictures, music, preferences etc etc.

If you have a heap of addresses in your Address Book app, back that up first as a .abbu file into your Documents folder.
Similar for iCal.

thomaswilliams
11th August 2009, 09:48 AM
You could use the Migration Assistant - yet often it's not perfect.

Best way in my opinion is to do so manually, by putting the G5 into Target Disk Mode, and copying over your Users folder.

The Users folder contains all your documents, pictures, music, preferences etc etc.

If you have a heap of addresses in your Address Book app, back that up first as a .abbu file into your Documents folder.
Similar for iCal.

Thanks for your reply.

Does the users folder contain all my email and mail?

Also would it be best to create an account, copy across the entire folder, use my existing account and delete the newly created one? (I only want one account).

ClockWork
11th August 2009, 09:57 AM
Yes, it contains everything that is yours.

Better still, do it folder by folder - so select everything in the G5's Documents folder and drag that across and straight into the Intel iMac's Documents folder.

Then select all in the G5's Pictures folder and drag that into the Intel iMac's Pictures folder - and so forth.

The reason behind this is that certain very small files inside the Library Preferences folder may not copy across due to insufficient privileges and halt the whole copy process, so if it's done folder by folder, from the G5's Users folder, the Library folder can be the last one you copy over.

iva
17th August 2009, 07:58 PM
Reviving this thread as I'm stuck in migration hell.

Just got a fantastic present for my birthday, a shiny new 13-inch MBP. No worries, I think, use migration assistant to move all my data over. Have done this before with no problems.

Well, it worked first time, sort of. Then programs started not opening, or hanging very soon thereafter. So I'm thinking, wipe and reinstall, install from time machine back up. The migration stalls on the "less then a minute left. copying over data to support applications" or something like that. After 30 mins of this, I think "oh oh". I force a restart.

I end up back on the bouncy welcome screen where it wants me to type in my name and username. Apple ID ok, doesn't like my name (not available?!).

So...back to square one. Wipe all, again. Sigh.

I really don't want to have to reinstall my apps one by one. And Microsoft Office will probably be a bitch as it's installed already on my old laptop (not wiping that one until MBP is working!)

Didn't OSX used to be simpler than this?

EDIT: If anyone is actually wondering, the original and new laptop are both on 10.5.

markieboy1
17th August 2009, 09:41 PM
I experienced the same issue. Used Migration assistant from my G5 Macpro to my new Macpro. It hung on the last 2 minutes of transfer. I tried this several times. After spending over an hour with apple support making me go step by step with what I had already done, I was told they could not help and had to take it to an apple store.
Nearest is an hour and a half away. Cost me 350 bucks and driving there twice.