PDA

View Full Version : Leopard on G4 Powerbook

mevers
8th August 2009, 07:49 PM
I just tried to install Leopard on my Wife's G4 Powerbook and it came up with a screen that said it was unable to install it on this computer. Anybody know what's going on?

About 18 months ago, I finally made the jump from PC to Mac with a 13" Macbook. (One of the best decisions I have made). Just recently I bought a cheap, 2nd hand Powerbook G4 (1.5 GHz, 2 GB) off ebay for the missus, and we finally ditched our Desktop PC.

The Powerbook came with Panther (Tiger? 10.3 anyway), and the plan was to buy a new copy of Snow Leopard for my macbook when it is released, and install Leopard (which came with the macbook) on the Powerbook. I prefer to abide by license conditions when I can.

Anyway, we got sick of putting up with 10.3, so decided to install Leopard now instead of waiting (it's only a month or so anyway), but it won't install, which leaves me with a few questions.

1. Does it refuse to install because it is a macbook (ie intel) version and I'm trying to install it on a Powerbook?

2. Assuming the answer is yes, where is the cheapest place to buy a copy of Leopard from? Should I wait until Snow Leopard is releases as it is likely to drop in price then?

3. With the dollar so strong at the moment, is it worthwhile looking overseas for a copy? I assume they would still work?

Thanks

DagrtheSnide
8th August 2009, 07:57 PM
Are you using the install disks from your 13" Macbook, they won't work on anything but a 13" Macbook.

Aladdin
8th August 2009, 08:02 PM
You'll need to buy a retail copy of Leopard.

The install disks that come with every new Mac is restricted to that model only.

JimWOz
9th August 2009, 06:51 AM
As stated above, the Macbook disks will only install directly onto a Macbook.

It won't install onto the PB's HD, because the PB's HD has an APM partition map, and the Intels use GUID. So even if you put the PB into Target disk mode connected to the MB, it wouldn't install an OS onto the PB's APM disk. The OS supplied with a MacBook is also Intel only, so even if you cloned it over from the MB using CCC or SuperDuper it wouldn't boot the machine.

Also as stated above, you need a retail Leopard disk to get it onto the PB.

A retail copy of Leopard from anywhere will work. I think it is marginally cheaper to buy a copy from OWC (http://www.macsales.com/) than locally, especially if you bundle it with some other software to reduce the freight cost component.

There appears to be some debate about whether Snow Leopard will support PPC chips, but yes, Leopard should become cheaper around the traps when SL is released.

icant
9th August 2009, 08:46 AM
some debate about whether Snow Leopard will support PPC chips

Is there? It won’t.

mevers
9th August 2009, 10:33 PM
OK Thanks guys. I feared the problem was it would only install on the Macbook.

Now I just need to wait for Snow Leopard to come out so I can find a cheap copy of Leopard.