PDA

View Full Version : usb virus from PC

marsa
8th August 2009, 03:47 PM
I'm setting up a macbook for my daughter to use at UNI in Jakarta. She will need to transfer documents from PCs. There is a virus, which she picks up on her usb chip every time she uses it. Will this virus effect her macbook?

Huy
8th August 2009, 04:02 PM
No.

marc
8th August 2009, 05:06 PM
What kind of documents?

The virus might not affect her Mac, but they might get passed on to other PCs if she sends the files to them.

Remy
8th August 2009, 05:12 PM
What kind of documents?

The virus might not affect her Mac, but they might get passed on to other PCs if she sends the files to them.

No, but like marc says, be careful about sharing files with other PCs using that USB.

marc
8th August 2009, 05:23 PM
Worth noting that (I think) some Word and Excel macro viruses can do damage on a Mac. The best option is removing Microsoft's craptacular software from your life. iWork is better anyway :)

Huy
8th August 2009, 05:36 PM
I believe Office 2008 for Mac does not include macros support (unless I am mistaken).

pixelicious
9th August 2009, 12:31 AM
Marc, that works great, until someone asks "Can you provide that document in a .doc format?" and then no matter how badly you try, your pages formatting is screwed!

also; yes I've had a whole office of macs getting infected with a word macro virus. Was a pain in the arse to replace the standard template :(

marc
9th August 2009, 01:04 AM
Marc, that works great, until someone asks "Can you provide that document in a .doc format?" and then no matter how badly you try, your pages formatting is screwed!
Depends how precious you are about the formatting. I've been in situations where several users have collaborated on docs. They've gone from Word (PC) to Pages to Word (Mac) to Word (PC) to Pages to Word (PC) again. All with changes being tracked. It was more than fine—it was flawless. Nothing too complex in the docs though.

Also, if you want formatting to be maintained when sending a document to someone, send them a PDF :)

Remy
9th August 2009, 09:53 AM
The best option is removing Microsoft's craptacular software from your life. iWork is better anyway :)

I couldn't agree more.
Personally, I'd rather use good old AppleWorks if it was between that and Office.

marc
9th August 2009, 02:18 PM
My place is a Telstra and Microsoft free zone :)

Although sometimes I wish I was using Telstra's 3G network.