PDA

View Full Version : Really cheap new Virgin iPhone 3GS Plans

andrew.wilson
8th August 2009, 12:30 PM
I rocked up to a Virgin Mobile store yesterday (I prefer them because of their contract conditions, amongst other things), fully expecting I knew how much a new iPhone 3GS would cost me when I was told that there are some brand new plans out what would offer me much better value. Intrigued I listened.

I was going to pay $61 a month for a 16GB and get $150 of calls etc. and 300MB of data. On these new Your Internet Caps, I could now get a 32GB for $59 a month with $350 of calls and 300MB of data - now we are talking!!

Full set of plans:

http://img.skitch.com/20090808-nirqrhp3dpwmhmc5kkqshpcai2.jpg

https://www.virginmobile.com.au/en_au/VirginMobile/Rates/Post-Paid/Your%2BiPhone%2BCaps/

These plans are great value if you aren't a super heavy data user. I have never gone over 150MB or so in my past two years of iPhone use, although I am going to have to keep a close eye on it now.

If I remember correctly, when the Virgin pricing was leaked it was said that there would be new plans soon - this looks like them and imo, that are great value.

Conclusion: I'm stoked.

grfxninja
8th August 2009, 12:39 PM
I don't suppose there is anything about upgrading current iphone/plans…?

Also, the only problem I can see here is Optus…
Since I bought my iPhone a little while ago, the network has taken a huge dive. Still usable, but bloody slow for data.
Considering I have a 1gig data plan it really sucks :D

BoxDog
8th August 2009, 01:10 PM
Are these plans available on anything less than a 24 month contract? And without the iPhone repayment option?

Shame it is still optus..

Shaun R
8th August 2009, 01:15 PM
*sigh* I would snap that up in a heartbeat if Virgin didn't use Floptarse's network...

Finally, an iPhone plan that is somewhat reasonable, ruined by the network... Gah.

Oh well... I guess I'll just keep the iPod Touch then... :(

Shaun_R

Beau
8th August 2009, 01:46 PM
Versus Telstra:

$49 cap plan gives you $200 of calls, plus an extra $50 for other Telstra goodies.
Add an extra $10 for 150mb of data.

= $59, plus the upfront cost of... eh $549 for the 32GB 3GS.

A little more pricier than Virgin, but at least you don't end up with a shit network :P

Apple iPhone 3GS and Apple iPhone 3G Pricing from Telstra (http://www.telstra.com.au/mobile/phones/iphone/pricing.html)

St Cornelius
8th August 2009, 03:51 PM
if Virgin had 12 month plans allot of people would jump on board.

Its a given that a new iphone will be released in a year or there abouts, i personally change phones every 7 months or so i dont like 24months plans!

hinow2007
8th August 2009, 04:44 PM
hey andrew.wilson did they say anything about stock level????

andrew.wilson
8th August 2009, 05:45 PM
hey andrew.wilson did they say anything about stock level????

Brisbane City store (where I tried first) had only whites left in both capacities. Garden City had all models in stock, although I am not sure how many of each.

Lesson is, even though the website says they have no stock, stores seem to. Would give your local one a call and ask, and then get them to put on hold.

To those wanting a 12 month plan. No they don't have them. BUT Virgin contracts are good in the fact that after the first six months, you only have to pay off the balance of the phone, and not the rest of your contract. Works out far cheaper and exactly the same way basically as if you brought the phone outright.

Only time will tell if the data/network drives me mental...they have been okay for the last two years, but that said, it was a 1st gen iPhone...

Aaron
8th August 2009, 06:52 PM
Fuck that is cheap - I'm think I might actually bother to upgrade to the 3GS now. I'm currently with Virgin and the 32GB is $2 more than what I'm paying for a 8GB 3G w/ $140 worth of calls and 300MB of data.

docpkenny
8th August 2009, 10:17 PM
Brisbane City store (where I tried first) had only whites left in both capacities. Garden City had all models in stock, although I am not sure how many of each.

Lesson is, even though the website says they have no stock, stores seem to. Would give your local one a call and ask, and then get them to put on hold.

To those wanting a 12 month plan. No they don't have them. BUT Virgin contracts are good in the fact that after the first six months, you only have to pay off the balance of the phone, and not the rest of your contract. Works out far cheaper and exactly the same way basically as if you brought the phone outright.

Only time will tell if the data/network drives me mental...they have been okay for the last two years, but that said, it was a 1st gen iPhone...

So if I took the 16GS $50 plan plus $5 handset and cancelled after 6mths, I would only have to pay 6x50 plus 24x5 totalling $420?

Can that be correct?

andrew.wilson
8th August 2009, 11:03 PM
So if I took the 16GS $50 plan plus $5 handset and cancelled after 6mths, I would only have to pay 6x50 plus 24x5 totalling $420?

Can that be correct?

Not quite! If only...

The full price of the phone according to Virgin is $864 for a 16GB - each month you pay off the $5 as the handset repayment plus some other amount (it used to say on the iPhone specific page, but since you can't click through anymore I can't see it at the moment). If I work it out right it would be $36 a month (inc the $5 handset payment) ($864 / 24)

So each month Virgin say you are paying $36 off the phone. So after 6 months (it will cost you an extra $250 if it is under the first 6 months) you will have paid say $216 off the phone. That means if you want to leave them all you have to pay is the remaining $648 for the cost of the phone.

Pretty good value really when you consider Apple charges you $879 for an outright phone. You really can't lose...

icant
8th August 2009, 11:23 PM
Pretty good value really when you consider Apple charges you $879 for an outright phone.

Isn’t the Virgin phone locked to Optus?

andrew.wilson
8th August 2009, 11:35 PM
Isn’t the Virgin phone locked to Optus?

What I meant by that is that provided you stay with Virgin for 6 months and then decide to leave, you aren't going to be paying some massive cost to cancel like other carriers where you have to pay out the rest of the contract, you just have to pay for the phone which is priced at about the same as what Apple charge, even a little cheaper.

I think unlocking in the 1st year is $80 but free after that.

Lutze
9th August 2009, 08:42 AM
This all sounds too good to be true, what is the score with tethering?

mcargy08
9th August 2009, 08:59 AM
Tethering with virgin is part of the data plan! So it's all good!

grfxninja
18th August 2009, 03:26 PM
BUT Virgin contracts are good in the fact that after the first six months, you only have to pay off the balance of the phone, and not the rest of your contract. Works out far cheaper and exactly the same way basically as if you brought the phone outright.

Thanks for tip Andrew, I wasn't aware of this. Any chance of a link online for this info?

andrew.wilson
18th August 2009, 05:18 PM
Yup - the bottom of this page;

https://www.virginmobile.com.au/en_au/VirginMobile/Rates/Post-Paid/Your%2BiPhone%2BCaps/

Leave anytime, just pay the outstanding balance of the PPP & all outstanding charges (billed and unbilled), plus $250 if you leave within the first 6 months. 1st bill is pro-rated (min monthly spend & included value and data) from date you connect to start of your next month’s bill.