View Full Version : Decision Time: A new MacBook Pro

8th August 2009, 10:33 AM
Hi All...

I'm in a bind as to which model and features to buy. Any input would be great here.

- This laptop will be my main device. (have external 24" LCD)
- It will be used for work and play everyday.
- No games
- Surfing, photo work, office stuff, general etc
- Need it to be somewhat colour correct ( I can calibrate ),
- Used at home and office. (Not carried all day)

So far, I have decided it will be the 3.06ghz CPU and 4 gig ram.

Not sure about whether to go 15" or 17".

I do like a matt screen. ( but only on the 17" )

Should I go for the 7200rpm hdd instead of 5400rpm?

8th August 2009, 10:42 AM
what type of work are you going to do?

8th August 2009, 10:49 AM
If you already have a 24" display, the MBP 17" would pretty much get in the way, ergonomically.

The processor power to do what you list doesn't require ultra power, so even a 13" MBP could be used, and save yourself buck$ + carry weight - or divert the dollars into a BTO Solid State Drive.

8th August 2009, 10:56 AM
Need to clarify a bit. I will use it at work for everything from email to teaching about colour management. Full adobe will be loaded. At work, I do not use an external monitor. Only home.

Currently I have 2007 MBPro 15".

8th August 2009, 10:59 AM
This review might help you out:
MacTalk reviews the MacBook Pro 17″ | MacTalk Australia (http://www.mactalk.com.au/2009/08/08/mactalk-reviews-the-macbook-pro-17/)

8th August 2009, 11:02 AM
if I am you,

I will wait until this oct or jan for next revision.

2007 MBP is still a nice machine and you can install SL on it.

8th August 2009, 11:04 AM
I just saw that.

I am in a position to buy a 17" MBP with a 3ghz CPU, matt screen and 7200rpm drive. I know it is overkill, but I get EPP and a tax break. It will have to last me for thx next few years.

8th August 2009, 11:08 AM
Then what exactly is the decision you're trying to make based on?

8th August 2009, 11:32 AM
Clockwork: ( :) )

My current MBP serves me well. However, as I write this laptop off on tax, by virtue of time, there comes a point it has little value as far as the ATO is concerned. And that point is basically now.

Under normal circumstances, I would not even be thinking this, but as luck would have it I have come into a windfall which will allow me to upgrade. Also, my Employer has a discount program with Apple.

I guess you could say, (Winfdall) + (EPP) + (sale of current MBP) = New MBPro :cool:

This being the case, I am again going for a MBPro. My only real quandary is to go for a 15" or 17". And also whether to go for a 7200rpm drive.

A new revision is coming out..???

Thanks for the feedback! :)

8th August 2009, 12:31 PM
The MBPs were only updated in June - it'll probably be a while before any new models come out. As lazydesi said, probably not until the end of this year or the beginning of next year. If you need it now, get it now.

8th August 2009, 02:15 PM
xerodude: The LCD panel in all MacBooks and MacBook Pros is a 6-bit-per-channel TFT-TN panel, except for the matte screen in the MacBook Pro 17" which uses LGE's newest low-power IPS panel, capable of true 24-bit colour.

Also, a high speed drive will definitely help OSX's performance, even more than extra RAM will. The Hitachi 7K-series 320 GB drive is the most reliable laptop drive on the market that will work with MB/MBPs. For the snappiest performance of all, buy your laptop with the most basic HD config, then install your own Intel X-25 (or an OCZ Vertex or G.skill Falcon as an excellent second choice) SSD module; you can use the machine's original HD for TIme Machine or portable storage if you pop it into a little USB case.

8th August 2009, 02:46 PM
Personally, I'm waiting for Intel to release mobile versions of the Nehalem core CPUs - which is slated for October-ish this year.

By then, I'm hoping 4GB DDR3 SO-DIMM modules are a bit cheaper (around $300 a stick, so I can get 2 and have 8GB of RAM) and Intel's X-25 160GB 32nm SSD is around $500. Coupled with a 2.5GHz Nehalem core CPU, it will be one stonking fast 15" MBP :)

8th August 2009, 05:52 PM
I guess on thing about waiting, is that you end up always waiting for the next version. :) I figure that at some point you need to jump on the bandwagon!

The screen thing is an interesting one. Is it consensus that the matt LCD on the 17" is better? If it is, then really my mind is made up that a 17" MBP is the go.

I have read suggestions that the 7200rpm drive is very hot and noisy. But it seems to me that the jury is divided on this point. I am temped to run the faster drive, afterall it is only a $74 option. I just wish the extra ram was not so stinking expensive!

9th August 2009, 09:34 AM
You do know that Nehalem based CPU will be out between Oct-Jan (next year)...

Apple usually introduces new cpu to notebook very close to intel launch (sometimes even before.

Current Core2 cpus have been around for nearly 2-3 years already.

If you can hold...

9th August 2009, 10:29 AM
Then you could be subject to a whole range of problems with the new processors
Remember when c2d came out there was the humming problem?

9th August 2009, 10:40 AM
It's leaning towards the 17" with 7200rpm drive, 3.06ghz cpu and antiglare screen.

Time to go to Chadstone for a recon mission.....

9th August 2009, 03:07 PM
Well, just got back from the Chadstone Apple Store.

No doubt in my mind at all. It is going to be a 17" matt screen.

9th August 2009, 09:49 PM
IMHO I would get a 15.4 MacBook Pro (or even a 13.3") and hook that up to a external display. FOr what you want to do on it I don't think you need to spend $4000 on the 17"er. And if it was going to be used as a desktop that gets moved occasionally, I would get an iMac.

Oh and if your doing video encoding get the 7200rpm.