PDA

View Full Version : Help: programming, web data form and display

beckcollect
7th August 2009, 02:35 PM
Hi All,

The school I am at uses a Google Form so that cricket coaches can enter match results and then the data is displayed on a different page of the blog for students and parents to see.

It's a little clunky as the data has to be copied from the spreadsheet and then put on the other page of the blog. Also, it doesn't have all the match details.

The SA cricket community has a web site that displays the results almost like you'd see it in the papers: MyCricket: North Eastern Junior Cricket Association (http://tinyurl.com/kwzeeb) and we'd really like ours to do the same.

So, the questions: obviously there can be code written to a) create a web form and b) to have the results displayed on a web page, can the code be embedded into a blog?

Anyone know how to do this and can give an idea of what the cost would be to get it going?

Thanks, Colin

Lutze
7th August 2009, 03:34 PM
Hi Colin,

I'd personally get the school IT folks involved in this - it would be a good practical project for some of the class.

Google spreadsheet / forms can be made quite pretty as an output and as the results can be shared to different permitted users it *should* be possible to have the content formatted properly and imported into a page in a way that looks how you want it to.

I am no coder so I can't tell you how, sorry.

beckcollect
7th August 2009, 05:54 PM
Hi Lutze,

Thanks for the reply.
That's a great suggestion re having some senior IT class take it on as a project.
Will talk to those who teach Yr 11/12.

[I can get the Google form looking okay - but they all seem linear which takes a lot of vertical space. Need to find a way to tweak the feed back in. So, the student project idea may be better.]

Cheers, Colin

Soliah
7th August 2009, 11:42 PM
What type of blogging platform is being used?

It wouldn't be hard to create a simple PHP script and form that would take the scores and store them either in XML/plain text or in database.

Ideally, depending on the blog platform you'd want some sort of plugin where the coaches could login to the blog, post the stores and then make a blog post with the scores embedded. That'll probably be a bit more complicated though.

beckcollect
8th August 2009, 11:04 AM
Hi Soliah,

Thanks for the reply.
We use edublogs.org for the cricket blog - which I believe is based on wordpress.

So, you think it's do-able?

Colin

Soliah
8th August 2009, 01:33 PM
Definitely doable, though I'm not versed in the plugin system for Wordpress. Making it separate from the blog is actually quite easy, but making it embeddable in the blog is harder as one needs to know the ins and outs of the blogging platform.

How much alike the MyCricket website did you want it to be? I notice that they store the history of the players as well, so when you click on a name it brings up the players stats. (Though I have no idea what the numbers mean as I have no idea about cricket :p)

beckcollect
8th August 2009, 02:07 PM
I'm really just after the ability to have coaches enter batting, bowling and match figures and for the results to be displayed in a table like on the MyCricket site.
The ability to select a team from a drop down box would be good and for their results to then load.
Not after player stats - though I'm sure there will always be the thought of developing the capabilities further. Not wanting to get carried away at the start.

Thanks, Colin