PDA

View Full Version : Traceroute - Is This Normal?

snark
6th July 2005, 07:48 PM
This has been bugging me for a while, so I am hoping someone here can advise.

When I run traceroute from the Network Utility app., all I get back is three asterisks after each hop number. Is this normal? I was expecting some times (in ms), IP addresses or hostnames.
Just to check, I typed 'traceroute' in a terminal window (no idea if it is the correct command), and got the same response.
It also seems to "keep going" eg. tracing my ISP's mail server, it doesn't stop tracing even after 10 or 15 hops.

Is this a security setting on my Mac that I have got wrong? Or something to do with my ADSL modem/router?

To add a twist, I have a PC running Windows XP on the same network, and the response I get to the 'tracert' command is full of detail (delay times, host names and IP addresses).

Currawong
6th July 2005, 08:32 PM
It's the modem/router. Mine doesn't work with traceroute either.

Moving this thread to its correct forum by the way :)

snark
6th July 2005, 09:41 PM
Originally posted by Currawong@Jul 6 2005, 08:32 PM
...Moving this thread to its correct forum by the way :)
iLife Gadgets forum and not Mac OSX forum?? pfft, whatever....

So then, what is special about the Windows tracert command that it can get past the modem/router, while the OSX traceroute cannot? :(

Currawong
7th July 2005, 05:56 AM
Try: traceroute -P UDP or instead of UDP, the other options are ICMP, GRE and TCP. In man traceroute there is also the possibility of using a different port "-p" which might affect whether or not your router blocks it.

purana
7th July 2005, 07:47 AM
Originally posted by Currawong@Jul 6 2005, 08:32 PM
It's the modem/router. Mine doesn't work with traceroute either.

And/or ISP provider.. Some providers are known to block certain stuff (including the fact traceroute might not work like it should).

snark
7th July 2005, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by Currawong@Jul 7 2005, 05:56 AM
Try: traceroute -P UDP or instead of UDP, the other options are ICMP, GRE and TCP.
Thanks currawong. Traceroute -P ICMP <hostname> works well, and gives me all the info I was expecting.

Any thoughts on how I can get the Network Utility app to use ICMP instead of its default packet type? I&#39;m not a big fan of command line utilities and switches if there is a simple app I can use instead.