PDA

View Full Version : DVD - R vs DVD +R

Owley
6th August 2009, 09:37 PM
Any reason why DVD - R do not seem to work as well as DVD + R. What is the difference?

Ian

cosmichobo
6th August 2009, 10:11 PM
I've never used DVD+R, even though my eMac can apparently write to them. My understanding was that -R was the better option (originally), though these days there's really no difference...?

LCGuy
6th August 2009, 10:25 PM
Functionally there's really no difference, but I personally prefer DVD-R, as I find its more compatible...older drives and players don't always get on very well (if at all) with DVD+R, so for them you're better off with DVD-R. I know the DVD player I have on the telly at home only plays DVD-R, it won't touch DVD+R.

bartron
6th August 2009, 11:22 PM
The only real difference is in the way the drive writes to the disc. After it's written there's no difference.

DVD-R is an extension of CD-R whereas DVD+R is a technique developed from scratch (actually DVD+RW came before DVD+R which is derived from the +RW standard).

In between the data tracks are markers and other data designed to keep the laser on target while burning which differ between + and - formats. In theory +R/RW is the better format as it was designed for DVD and results in more reliable burns but in practice it really doesn't matter (it used to matter when blanks were $11-15 for the R version and $25-30 for the RW).

DVD-RAM is king though....100k rewrites and works like a hard drive....AND you can see the sectors on the disc which looks cool

pic I took of my one and only DVD-RAM disc
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3648/3683728097_0da80d0ae6.jpg

~Coxy
7th August 2009, 10:42 AM
Another difference is that DVD+R discs can have the "booktype" on them set to be almost indistinguishable from a normal pressed DVD. The improves compatibility if you bother to do it.