PDA

View Full Version : Windows on Fusion - Cheapest & Best Way?

opilot87
6th August 2009, 02:54 PM
Quick intro, have been an avid apple fan for sometime, but just purchased my first mac (13" macbook pro) a few days ago. Loving it although its taking some time to transfer all my things from my windows laptop and get used to the whole os x thing as I have never used it before.

I am about to purchase Fusion so I can run windows on the odd occasion for a few programs I need, and to keep my worries about not knowing or being able to do what I want on OS X at bay.

I had a look at the Austin Computers website, they have XP home for $125, and Vista Premium with Windows 7 upgrade voucher for $169. For a start ddo these prices sound about as cheap as you can find them?

At the moment from what I know you can basically get the Windows 7 trial now for free (where can you find this BTW) which will work until sometime next year (when exactly?). My main question is, if I purchase Vista with the free upgrade, can I just install Windows 7 now, and when the trial is about to run out, can you just enter the Vista serial number or windows 7 upgrade voucher number to enable it to continue working?

Otherwise will I be able to just purchase Windows 7 (how much will it be?) when it is realised, and use that serial number to convert my trial version into a full version without re-installing etc?

Some guidance here would be much appreciated.

Cheers,
Ollie

Mac Ram
6th August 2009, 03:18 PM
Why can't you use the version of XP that came with your windows laptop?

If for some reason you can't, depending on how critical those windows tasks are - I would just put windows 7 on there and worry about the upgrade to fully paid version next year (July I think).

Also before purchasing Fusion, look at VirtualBox (it's free) or just use bootcamp (again free).

Jolyon
6th August 2009, 03:45 PM
Why can't you use the version of XP that came with your windows laptop?

If for some reason you can't, depending on how critical those windows tasks are - I would just put windows 7 on there and worry about the upgrade to fully paid version next year (July I think).

Also before purchasing Fusion, look at VirtualBox (it's free) or just use bootcamp (again free).

Indeed. VMWare have a nifty utility called "VMWare Converter" that you can use to virtualise a physical machine. Works a treat, it does.

opilot87
6th August 2009, 07:21 PM
Thanks guys. I'm not sure exactly what virtualising a physical machine does/means?

I did hear of VirtualBox, apparently its pretty good now but I can get Fusion for $65 at uni for the education discount, and I was happy to pay that to get the best experience. So I bought that today.

As for getting the license from my windows laptop, its actually Vista Premium which is OK, but I was probably going to sell it once I have settled in with my macbook, and I think it would be hard to sell without. However I have a couple of really old machines (like probably throw them in the bin) old, that have XP Home or Pro on them. It would be really good if I could use these, however as it was bought from Dell etc, I don't have any disks for them.

How can I use the license from them to transfer to my macbook? Is this possible? If so I would do that rather than have to pay, otherwise I will get the Windows 7 trial.

Ollie

cgollner
6th August 2009, 08:00 PM
The VMware Converter will import your whole laptop into Fusion creating a virtual machine. It handles the change over of most of the drivers for hardware.

The one thing that will likely happen is that windows will want to re-activate. No big problem, even if you end up speaking to a MS person. Just explain that you are virtualising an existing PC and they be cool about it. Done this at least a dozen times with never a problem.

You will need to ensure your macbookpro and other laptop are on the same network. The converter will install and program from your mac onto the PC to help it import it.

This will explain it nicely. Follow the steps and you should be sweet.

VMware Fusion - Migrating Your Windows PC to Your Mac Easily (http://www.vmware.com/download/fusion/windows_to_mac.html)

Their process is slightly different to what I have described above and is probably faster cause you're not pulling it across the network but rather dumping onto a hard disk.

Chris

opilot87
8th August 2009, 04:17 PM
Thanks for all the advice, in the end I didn't want to use my old laptop windows because its Vista and because I really wanted a nice clean install with no issues that would run fast. I ended up finding a Dell install CD for XP home that said it was only for Dell PC's but it worked fine and I used the serial from an old unused computer at home. I registered it online when it installed and now its all running sweet. Seems like just what I wanted.

I also considered getting Windows 7, but after some reading it seems there are still a few issues with it and it is not officially supported, so I thought it would be better to have a basic windows that worked well and could stay on there indefinitely.

Cheers,
Ollie