PDA

View Full Version : Which PCMCIA Usb card for wallstreet PowerBook g3?

DebB
6th August 2009, 06:08 AM
Does anyone know which cards will work in the cardbus slot? Can I just get a cheap one from eBay, or do I need special apple software to make it work?
Thanks,
Deb

Byrd
6th August 2009, 08:52 AM
Hi Deb,

I'll have a check in my box of tricks tonight for a brand, but any generic "OHCI compatible" USB 1.1 PCMCIA card should work, but I wouldn't go for a USB 2.0 PCMCIA card.

In terms of software, you just need to install Apple's USB adapter card support 1.4.1 software:

USB Adapter Card Support 1.4.1 Document and Software (http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=31132)

JB

mickbee
6th August 2009, 08:59 AM
I used to use a USB 2.0 card in my Wallstreet without a hitch. I think it required OS X 10.2.8 or higher to achieve 2.0 speed. Can't remember the brand but as Byrd says just make sure it's OHCI compatible.

Byrd
6th August 2009, 09:03 AM
Sorry Deb: I was thinking you were using OS 9 (which requires a USB 1.1 card only and Apple's USB 1.4.1 software), but with OS X it should detect automatically as mickbee notes, and any USB 2.0 PCMCIA card should work.

JB

DebB
6th August 2009, 10:22 AM
Byrd, I do only use OS 9. Can you use USB2 thumb drives with USB1? That is what I hope to achieve.

The machine only has 64mb RAM so am I right in thinking it wouldn't cope with OSX? It is mainly used for web browsing via wireless card (struggles), email and Word. I would also like to upgrade the RAM but need to pluck up the courage to open it, and also to check whether any of the stack of old ram I have sitting in my spares box will fit. It needs to be laptop ram (SODIMM?) rather than standard PC100 ram, right?

Thanks for the great reply! If you have a card spare Byrd, perhaps we could do a trade? I so still have a great collection of old bits and pieces around awaiting some sorting, I can send you a list if you like. Or I could just buy it off you of course LOL.

Deb

DebB
6th August 2009, 10:27 AM
Would this one work, giving USB 1 speeds?

2-Port USB 2.0 PCMCIA Cardbus (PC Card),Flat,1 Slot_Laptops & Accessory_Computer/IT_OZAB Online Shopping (http://www.ozab.com.au/goods-1699.html)

LCGuy
6th August 2009, 10:52 AM
Byrd, I do only use OS 9. Can you use USB2 thumb drives with USB1? That is what I hope to achieve.

Yeah, so long as they're not formatted FAT32 or NTFS (since OS 9 doesn't have support for either of those formats) it should work fine, just at USB 1.1 speed. I've got a couple of USB 2.0 flash drives (all of which are formatted FAT16), and they work fine on my iMac G3 (which is obviously USB 1.1) under OS 9. :)

rpjallan
6th August 2009, 11:41 AM
Hi DebB

I just stumbled across this thread. I have a PowerBook G3 Pismo and I've been thinking about getting a USB 2 card.

I don't know if you're interested, but I recently bought a Zip 100 drive module on ebay. It turned out to be for a Wallstreet (apparently), not a Pismo. The guy fully refunded me and said he didn't want it returned. You can have it for the price of postage, which would be about $7-8, if it's any use to you. If not, and you know anyone else who has a Wallstreet who would be interested, just let me know.

rpj

Byrd
6th August 2009, 11:56 AM
Hi Deb,

what model Wallstreet is it? I built a mint Wallstreet for my parents ages ago (300Mhz, 14" screen, 256MB RAM/20GB HD) which runs 10.3.9 great, but if yours is fairly stock I'd stick with OS 9 to be honest. Another caveat is that you need to partition the hard disk as 8GB + whatever is left, and install OS X to the first 8GB, otherwise it won't work. So factoring in the requirements of a bigger HD, more RAM and lowly CPU speed ... it might be pushing it.

Regarding trades: I'll have a look but I think I've only one MacAlly USB 1.1 PCMCIA card and it's stuck in my Powerbook 2400c :)

Oh and RAM: yes it has 2 x PC66/PC100 So-DIMM SDRAM slots, in theory it can take 512MB (2 x 256MB), but I found Wallstreets are picky about 256MB sticks (probably because most are PC133 speeds, which in theory should be fine but some compatibility issues are obviously there).

JB

DebB
6th August 2009, 01:07 PM
Thanks, it's a 14" 233Mhz model, with 64Mb ram. So if I look out for some 128MB sticks I could take it to 256 that way...

I think I am quite happy to leave it running OS 9, if I can speed up the net a bit and use a USB drive. For some reason, everything slowed way down once I turned on file sharing and even the typing lags when entering a search in google. Hopefully more ram will help. I will watch out on ebay or our local computer market for the bits and pieces, now I know what to look for!

Rpj,
I wouldn't know what to do with a zip drive module as I've never used one! It is some kind of backup system isn't it? I don't think my 10 year old would use it LOL, but thanks.

Deb

Geoff3DMN
6th August 2009, 01:12 PM
Ahhh PCMCIA... from when the computer industry didn't take themselves so seriously.

People Can't Memorize Computer Industry Acronyms <-- now that's a name for a device slot :)

LCGuy
6th August 2009, 01:16 PM
Or how about TWAIN - Technology Without An Interesting Name? :D (used in scanners)

rpjallan
6th August 2009, 02:01 PM
Rpj,
I wouldn't know what to do with a zip drive module as I've never used one! It is some kind of backup system isn't it? I don't think my 10 year old would use it LOL, but thanks.

Deb

If you don't know what to do with one then it's no good to you. You'd have to have some discs! Anyway, just a thought...

kiwijohn
6th August 2009, 02:28 PM
I've got a couple of 128's from a G4 ibook if you want some ram.

Byrd
6th August 2009, 02:36 PM
I've got a couple of 128's from a G4 ibook if you want some ram.

If they're from a G4 they'd be DDR modules - look exactly the same but will result in magic smoke being released when put in a Wallstreet that needs SDRAM :)

JB

kiwijohn
6th August 2009, 02:56 PM
I've heard about this magic smoke. Oh well, can't give the things away.

DebB
6th August 2009, 05:01 PM
Thanks anyway - I think I have found some RAM.....Kiwijohn, there is someone in the wanted to buy forum who is asking for G4 powerbook ram!
Deb

kiwijohn
6th August 2009, 06:29 PM
Thanx for the heads up, but they want a bit more than 128mb.
Good luck with it.

entropy
6th August 2009, 08:20 PM
I used to use a PCMCIA USB 2.0 firewire combo with my wallstreet running OS9.2 The exact same wallstreet in fact, but with a whole 96mb of RAM.

It ran fine even though it was USB2.0, but I suspect that it operated at USB1.1 speed and needed OSX to run at USB2.0. I bought it for the firewire though so I could edit my video cam dv files. Glacial.

My USB stick is formatted at fat32 otherwise I could test it.

I think I bought this online through zytech for $65 at the time. You would need to bear in mind that the whole laptop might not be worth a lot more than that.

Anyway, here are some pics of the card:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3488/3794172103_d06b4af7f7.jpg
and the ports:
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2424/3794986464_1e2226ccdc.jpg

DebB
8th August 2009, 06:53 AM
thanks Entropy, I'll see if I can find one like that. (unless yours is for sale? ;-).
Deb