PDA

View Full Version : Anyone running Solidworks on a unibody MBP here?

cplicious
5th August 2009, 09:27 PM
I'm interested in getting a MacBookPro but I really need to be able to run Solidworks on it for the odd off site job (Obviously under boot camp as Solidworks refuse to port it to the Mac OS even though some of their development team use Mac's!).

I'm interested to see what kind of performance people are getting with the new macbookpro's. I heard the previous MBP had a hack for the video card which convinced the OS it was a CAD style card to allow the extra video features in Solidworks such as Realview.

So anyone a Solidworks user on here?

marc
5th August 2009, 09:46 PM
I'm not a Solidworks user, but most pro apps run very well on a MacBook Pro. If Solidworks uses the GPU, then choosing the NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT might be important. Filling it up with ram might also be important.

cplicious
5th August 2009, 10:21 PM
The thing is some graphic features of Solidworks are dependent on Open GL. There are a list of certified cards with support the features in Solidworks such as Realview, which allows realistic materials to be displayed on the 3D model in real time. I'd be interested to see if anyone has managed to get it working on the new MBP.

innocenti
6th August 2009, 08:45 AM
We are trying the same thing here - already got it running on a 2009 Mac Mini (under Parallels 4 ) - not blistering performance but ultimately useable. I'm going to give it a go on a new 17" unibody and see what the result is.

cplicious
10th August 2009, 09:38 PM
Ah good stuff. Would be very interested in results on MBP. Whats the spec on the mac mini? Have you tried bootcamp?

cplicious
19th August 2009, 10:44 PM
So I took the plunge and rented a MBP to see how SWX performs. So far so good except for Photoview going nuts when I installed the proper nvidia drivers. Was working fine when running the standard windows VGA drivers.

More information here SolidFacts.org.au - Solidworks shoot out - PC v's Mac (http://forum.solidfacts.org.au/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=255)