PDA

View Full Version : My First Mac - AppleCare, is it worth it?

crazy4iphone
5th August 2009, 04:12 PM
Hi Guys,
Have been around for sometime now read lots on MACTALK, posted few times. I am also like one of those few people around who have developed an inclination towards Apple products after using the almighty IPHONE 3G. Using Iphone 3g for more than 7 months now and loving it, I am now planning to buy my FIRST MAC Ever.
I am planning to Buy a MBP 13inch and have 2 questions. If people could give their opinions, suggestions and views then that would be appreciated:

1.With regards to Leopard, Is it fine to buy the MAC now or await SNOW Leopard and then buy it in SEPT. ? OR it doesnt really matter at all when I buy it?

2.Is Applecare worth it? I am a bit confused over this. Although, its my first MAC I feel I could get around things I dont understand at the start by making searches and by posting here, if required, but in terms of hardware I am not too sure. As an overall package is it worth paying those extra bucks for APPLECARE?

Any feedback is appreciated.

lazychef
5th August 2009, 04:24 PM
You don't need to buy AppleCare straight away, fyi. You can buy it before the 12 months limited warranty expires and it will add the 2 years on. If you forget and your 1 year runs out you won't be able to add AppleCare. If you still want the phone support, you only have 90 days, unless you add AppleCare which makes it 3 years. :)
As for Leopard, your MBP will come pre-installed with it, no need to purchase it, you can just buy the Upgrade (won't be that expensive) later when SL comes out.

Huy
5th August 2009, 04:34 PM
Buy the MAC now. SNOW Leopard will be available to you at $14.95.

Apple - Mac OS X - Update your new Mac with Mac OS X Snow Leopard (http://www.apple.com/au/macosx/uptodate/)

AppleCare is worth it for a MBP. It is worth paying the extra bucks for APPLECARE. :)

Please don't scream by typing in caps.

MrJesseRoss
5th August 2009, 04:37 PM
Applecare is WELL WORTH IT when you're buying a Macbook, just because (due to their NATURE) they're SUBJECTED to a little more WEAR AND TEAR than desktop MACS.

If you buy IT NOW you'll qualify to get SNOW LEOPARD at a cheaper upgrade PRICE when it's released. Or you can wait and see if they upgrade the MACBOOK itself between then and NOW, if you don't need it straight AWAY

crazy4iphone
5th August 2009, 04:39 PM
AppleCare is worth it for a MBP. It is worth paying the extra bucks for APPLECARE. :)

Thanks for the suggestion Could you elaborate as to how or what makes it worth it, in your opinion!!!

Huy
5th August 2009, 04:43 PM
Thanks for the suggestion Could you elaborate as to how or what makes it worth it, in your opinion!!!

I could get around things I dont understand at the start by making searches

http://forums.mactalk.com.au/18/40944-applecare-protection-plan-worth.html

;)

crazy4iphone
5th August 2009, 04:44 PM
Applecare is WELL WORTH IT when you're buying a Macbook, just because (due to their NATURE) they're SUBJECTED to a little more WEAR AND TEAR than desktop MACS.

If you buy IT NOW you'll qualify to get SNOW LEOPARD at a cheaper upgrade PRICE when it's released. Or you can wait and see if they upgrade the MACBOOK itself between then and NOW, if you don't need it straight AWAY

I do get the point you are trying to make and I guess it is that bit which is not allowing for a Straight no...... I guess I am wanting to hear from all you experienced people that how often has it been that a macbook has given troubles post the 1yr warranty period!!!!! Based on your answers I guess i am trying to work out the decision based on the product reliability or my luck.......

MrJesseRoss
5th August 2009, 04:45 PM

Because if your Macbook blows up or eats itself, instead of having to pay for a new Macbook, it will get repaired/replaced? That's the point of it.

crazy4iphone
5th August 2009, 04:52 PM
http://forums.mactalk.com.au/18/40944-applecare-protection-plan-worth.html

;)

Thanks a Lot for that HUY....thats a great one.Much appreciated. for that link.

crazy4iphone
5th August 2009, 04:57 PM
You don't need to buy AppleCare straight away, fyi. You can buy it before the 12 months limited warranty expires and it will add the 2 years on. If you forget and your 1 year runs out you won't be able to add AppleCare. If you still want the phone support, you only have 90 days, unless you add AppleCare which makes it 3 years. :)
As for Leopard, your MBP will come pre-installed with it, no need to purchase it, you can just buy the Upgrade (won't be that expensive) later when SL comes out.

I guess that is a great idea.......Let me use a MBP for 6 months and that way I figure out if I need it........

Huy
5th August 2009, 04:58 PM
I guess that is a great idea.......Let me use a MBP for 6 months and that way I figure out if I need it........

Go 11 months and a few weeks even.

Please type properly.

Macjorsh
5th August 2009, 05:14 PM
Hey crazy4ihone,

Not to put a downer on buying a Mac. But my first intel iMac I b got was a complete lemon. If I had not grabbed Applecare it would have cost me mega bucks. But because of all my troubles and I had applecare I got a new unit upgraded with extra ram. Super happy ending.

Apple products are a premium product. They cost more. They also cost alot more to repair. Grab Applecare either with your purchase or do what i do now and buy it within the first 3 months of ebay. Its under $200 on ebay. Hope you enjoy your new mac. Switching is awesome.

JamieLeSouef
5th August 2009, 05:25 PM
I bought the Apple Care with my 24" iMac and I'm very glad I did.

The LCD panel in mine started playing up and without the plan it would have been in the 4 digits to replace it!

I had the care and it was replaced for me free of charge. They also just replaced my clogged up mighty mouse as well :)

you can read about my experience here if you like

The Problem (http://jamielesouef.com/apple/24-imac-screen-burn-not-happy-jan/)

and the resolution (http://jamielesouef.com/apple/24-inch-imac-screen-burn-now-im-happy-jan/)

cyruschrono
5th August 2009, 05:27 PM
H have a White 13" MB, and got AppleCare. 24 months into ownership, the SuperDrive died. AppleCare fixed it for $0. If I had to pay for it my self it would've been $600. So worth the $400 odd for AC in that case.

Also, my 1st Gen iPod Touch suffered a faulty home button, 13 months into ownership. I had that completely replaced under the AppleCare (the whole iPod, not the switch!!!), and once again it proved itself worth the $89 of the iPod's AC.

So when I bought my MBP in June, I did not hesitate to buy the AC with it.

Hopefully nothing goes wrong with my MBP, but if it does, then the $400 I spend on AC will be worth it :D

crazy4iphone
5th August 2009, 06:10 PM
Thanks for sharing all your experiences guys much appreciated. I might just buy the MBP for now and buy the apple care with it or in the near future after that..... I get the point you guys are trying to make.....worrying about 300bucks could end up me scraping the machine early or paying lots for servicing.

I guess the best part about the Apple care is that it covers h/w worldwide in that period.Takes all the tension off your mind for 3 years for your hardware.

All help and replies appreciated.

choy
6th August 2009, 02:40 AM
Buy the applecare later down the track (just don't forget or leave it to the last day). And buy it online (eg ebay) - the applecare is global so works from anywhere. YOu can save 2-300 dollars off retail doing it that way. Ends up costin only $200 or less rather than $400+.

Also when looking for applecare online you can buy the older macbook (instead of macbook pro) applecare as apple will honour that as covering the 13" macbook pro (NOT the 15" or 17")

crazy4iphone
6th August 2009, 07:05 AM
Buy the applecare later down the track (just don't forget or leave it to the last day). And buy it online (eg ebay) - the applecare is global so works from anywhere. YOu can save 2-300 dollars off retail doing it that way. Ends up costin only $200 or less rather than $400+.

Also when looking for applecare online you can buy the older macbook (instead of macbook pro) applecare as apple will honour that as covering the 13" macbook pro (NOT the 15" or 17")

That seems to be a great suggestion. Thanks for actually pointing out about the older macbook applecare.....;)

lailaikatong
15th November 2009, 01:39 PM
There's been a recent change to AppleCare:

Packaging
A new, thinner box design with updated messaging and graphics now perfectly matches MobileMe

Displays
AppleCare Protection Plan now covers an Apple Display purchased with any Mac. This is new for MacBook Air, MacBook and iMac customers and a valuable existing feature for MacBook Pro, Mac mini and Mac Pro users.

Mac OS X Server
AppleCare Protection Plan now offers GUI support for customers who purchase a Mac pre-configured with Mac OS X Server. An Amazing feature for small-business using Mac mini with Snow Leopard Server.

Time Capsule and AirPort
Your Apple wireless products are now covered by AppleCare Protection Plan whether purchased with, two years before or two years after a Mac

Mac mini + MacBook Air Superdrive
A SuperDrive purchased with Mac mini with Snow Leopard Server is now covered with AppleCare Protection Plan

The new version of the T&C can be viewed at http://images.apple.com/legal/applecare/do...lish_ZAv5.1.pdf

iTy
1st December 2009, 01:23 AM
I bought the Apple Care with my 24" iMac and I'm very glad I did.

The LCD panel in mine started playing up and without the plan it would have been in the 4 digits to replace it!

I had the care and it was replaced for me free of charge. They also just replaced my clogged up mighty mouse as well :)

you can read about my experience here if you like

The Problem (http://jamielesouef.com/apple/24-imac-screen-burn-not-happy-jan/)

and the resolution (http://jamielesouef.com/apple/24-inch-imac-screen-burn-now-im-happy-jan/)

Unfortunately, my iMac now has screen burn. This is my second issue with this machine and PRAY that it is not a sign to come. 2 defects in just 15 months is crap!

I'm going to take mine to the Applestore, I can't be bothered with the call centre people. I can't stand going through their scripts with them. Worse thing is, they don't really listen to you. They prefer to diagnose from the beginning...ok, now check that the machine is on...have you updated to the latest version of the software (btw, latest updates are probably what causes most issues)...etc.

Mychael
15th December 2009, 03:33 PM
Unfortunately, my iMac now has screen burn. This is my second issue with this machine and PRAY that it is not a sign to come. 2 defects in just 15 months is crap!

I'm going to take mine to the Applestore, I can't be bothered with the call centre people. I can't stand going through their scripts with them. Worse thing is, they don't really listen to you. They prefer to diagnose from the beginning...ok, now check that the machine is on...have you updated to the latest version of the software (btw, latest updates are probably what causes most issues)...etc.

As I am planning on buying my first iMac in the new year, this posting concerns me.Do you think you were just unlucky or are there reliability issues? O/S aside for a moment I'm still using the same LCD screen I bought for my pc a long time ago. Of pc hardware the only warranty claims I ever made was a m/b that failed 11months into it's life.