PDA

View Full Version : Should I Buy?

Bolt
6th July 2005, 05:15 AM
In February, I am flying out to Brisbane to begin my Postgraduate studies at Griffith. I was planning on buying a PowerBook before I left. I am going to bringing my Dual 2GHz PowerMac G5, but the fact is that as a postgraduate student I am going to be writing a lot, and want something portable where I can just go and write someplace.

However, now I really do not know if I want to buy the PowerBook. Why should I buy it when just a few months down the road I can get the new PowerBook with the intel chip? However, I am then looking at spending my first year in Grad school without a notebook.

Any thoughts?

sdien
6th July 2005, 08:08 AM
being a postgrad student myself,
i would say, just buy the 12" pbook. it's portable, and it's cheaper in the states anyway.

if you worry about screen size, you can always buy an extra monitor to connect to the pbook.

you'll be doing a lot of writting in the first year anyway, proposal, correction, more correction.. depending on your luck, somtimes this will take forever (personal experience, especially when you have a very responsive-unresponsive supervisor)

all the money you spent on the pbook should pay for itself by the time you finish..

i myself don't own any portables for the first two years of my study because theres too many scary stories of my fellow grad students who had their portables stolen (mac or pc) along with their work... but again, that's what backup is for.

another option is you can check with your department/school whether they can buy you any portables of your choice. there are several policy depending on university and department that ive known of, so this might work you.

the bad thing is, most of the time, you have to return the portable/ pbook back to the univ after you finish your study.

good luck
B)

fompsweeva
6th July 2005, 08:08 AM
Well, if you're only going to be using it for writing, why not get a cheaper/older, second hand powerbook or iBook?

I'm sure if you only use it for that purpose there are plenty of machines $500-$1200 that could handle word processing.

hawker
6th July 2005, 08:19 AM
Originally posted by Bolt@Jul 6 2005, 04:45 AM
Why should I buy it when just a few months down the road I can get the new PowerBook with the intel chip?
I wouldn't get an intel based mac for at least a year - I don't trust reva intel macs at all - and you are looking at well over a year before they come out.

As a postgrad student - I have a 12" powerbook which is awesome for my needs. I come up with material for scripts in the weirdest places. So its great to have on me almost all the time... Grab one. as you said its for writing - you don't need anything overkill for that.

Bolt
6th July 2005, 08:41 AM
Thats what I've been thinking, but I'm also a geek ;)

I'm probably just going to end up getting a 12inch as I'll be bringing my PowerMac G5 w/ me as thats my editing machine. But, I'm not going to be buying the notebook till December just to save cash.

hawker
6th July 2005, 08:44 AM
Originally posted by Bolt@Jul 6 2005, 08:11 AM
I'm probably just going to end up getting a 12inch as I'll be bringing my PowerMac G5 w/ me as thats my editing machine. But, I'm not going to be buying the notebook till December just to save cash.
Try and hold out till jan - it is possible, they will get an upgrade.... If not, a price drop perhaps...

iluvmymactoo
6th July 2005, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by hawker@Jul 6 2005, 08:44 AM
Try and hold out till jan - it is possible, they will get an upgrade.... If not, a price drop perhaps...
:huh: Not likely.

You will get a lot of use from a current model PowerBook for many, many years to come. But if you already have a G5 which you are taking with you why not just get a 12" iBook and save some money?

As for waiting for an Intel Mac, there is no way I would invest in a first revision Mactel.

thechu
6th July 2005, 03:11 PM
Hi Bolt, which campus will you be studying at? I study at Nathan and Mt Gravatt.

I think it depends on your study habits, whether you spend a lot of time on campus or not. Personally I just use the mac I have at home because I only go on campus for the lectures and tutorials or labs. But then again, some students take their notebooks in to lectures and take notes with it there. If a notebook is important for your studies, I think it would be wise for you to purchase one rather than wait for an Intel based one. There are a lot of good reasons why you shouldn't wait to buy an Intel based notebook/mac if you need to buy a notebook/mac now, and many have been discussed here. You'll still get plenty of use from current notebooks/macs when the Intel Macs roll out and its not like it will become obsolete and stop being useful. Many people have the mentality that if something is not current, it's not as effective or as useful.

In the end the decision is up to you. If you do decide to buy a notebook now rather than wait, don't forget to use your education discount! :D Gotta love those education discounts! :)

Bolt
7th July 2005, 03:48 AM
Originally posted by thechu@Jul 6 2005, 12:11 AM
Hi Bolt, which campus will you be studying at? I study at Nathan and Mt Gravatt.
I'll be studying at the Nathan campus. However, as I'm a experienced filmmaker with a BA from a prestigious film school here in the States, I have a very good chance of teaching as well during my studies - which is something I really want to do. I've been talking with the head of the Griffith Film School, and while he couldn't guarantee that I'd be teaching now, the chances are very good. So, if I end up teaching, I'll also be at Queensland College of Art or the Queensland Conservatorium Griffith University - I'm not sure exactly which campus the Griffith Film School is in.

Overall, I think I might just end up getting a iBook or 12-inch PowerBook - I'm pretty much going to wait till the Christmas sales and see what I can get :)

spargo
7th July 2005, 04:23 AM
Hi again Bolt,

So the move to Brisbane is fast approaching from since hen we first heard you were moving down under..

My only suggestion is to check whether or not you should buy it in the U.S. before you come, or wait and buy it in Brisbane with U.S. dollars when you get there (or order on-line just before you arrive), because of the strength of the U.S. dollars you'll be bringing with you..

Just check the respective Apple store sites for prices, then compare the exchange rates at www.xe.com (http://www.xe.com)..

Hope to see more of you on here as the move approaches - there seems to be plenty of new Brisbane locals on here these days so feel free to ask for advice on the town & your move..

thechu
7th July 2005, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by Bolt@Jul 7 2005, 03:48 AM
I'll be studying at the Nathan campus. However, as I'm a experienced filmmaker with a BA from a prestigious film school here in the States, I have a very good chance of teaching as well during my studies - which is something I really want to do. I've been talking with the head of the Griffith Film School, and while he couldn't guarantee that I'd be teaching now, the chances are very good.
That's great!! Your chances are very good I think; ever since the government granted more placements for Griffith, the University has been in need of more teaching staff. I hope you'll have a great time studying at Griffith, the university offers quite a unique experience from other universities here. There are also quite a lot of American students here, so you'll fit right in.

Bolt
7th July 2005, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by thechu+Jul 6 2005, 10:12 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (thechu &#064; Jul 6 2005, 10:12 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> That&#39;s great&#33;&#33; Your chances are very good I think; ever since the government granted more placements for Griffith, the University has been in need of more teaching staff. I hope you&#39;ll have a great time studying at Griffith, the university offers quite a unique experience from other universities here. There are also quite a lot of American students here, so you&#39;ll fit right in. [/b]
Awesome about the news about placements, that means the chance of me teaching is even better - I find out for sure in October/November, so I&#39;ll keep ya&#39;ll updated.

<!--QuoteBegin-spargo@Jul 6 2005, 01:23 PM
My only suggestion is to check whether or not you should buy it in the U.S. before you come, or wait and buy it in Brisbane with U.S. dollars when you get there (or order on-line just before you arrive), because of the strength of the U.S. dollars you&#39;ll be bringing with you..[/quote]

I&#39;ve actually been checking this, and it seems it will be cheaper for me to buy it here in the states. I don&#39;t have to pay any GST upon bringing it in as I&#39;ll have proof that it is specifically for school and that I&#39;ll be taking it home with me when I leave. I&#39;ll end up saving a couple hundred bucks US, and if I handle it right, I might get my parents to chip in a little bit as a going away gift :)