PDA

View Full Version : Stuff I Can"t Open...

daveinozbikes
5th July 2005, 11:17 PM
I have owned my first Mac for about three months and am hooked!!! One problem though...a lot of stuff I get in emails will not open..something about "no application"...can anyone advise me how I can get to look at these things....?

hawker
5th July 2005, 11:21 PM
You might need to download programs for it. It depends on the extension. You can do a google search for programs to open extensions.

ie.

pps = power point presentation
zip = zipped information

etc etc. In most cases, your computer cannot find an application to open the file.

pipsqeek
5th July 2005, 11:57 PM
Tell us what those files are... more specifically the file extention.. the bit after the dot (.).

And we can try to help you with what application is required.

pipsqeek

the_OM
6th July 2005, 09:44 AM
The best solution would be to go to versiontracker.com type in the file extension (the three letters after the dot) in the search box and search for a program that can handle them.

mvjs
6th July 2005, 09:55 AM
For the record - PPS is a Powerpoint SHOW not presentation - ppt is a PowerPoint presentation.

A show is a cut down version, which as I am aware DOESN"T work on Mac, change the extention to .ppt, and click on it. .pps is a cut down version when you double click on it it automatically launches in to the show, on a PC, but not on a Mac

Daltasaur
6th July 2005, 10:27 AM
I'm smelling the winmail.dat attachment.

Tell the twat who sent it to you to fix up thier lookout settings if it is winmail.dat we get that one come in a lot at work, stupid bloody microsoft excghange.

M

sikosis
6th July 2005, 10:32 AM
The winmail.dat issue happens when the sender, emails an attachments in the RichText format, as non-exchange servers don't know what to do with it.

mappleby
6th July 2005, 10:36 AM
You can use TNEF's Enough (a great app) to try and open a windat attachment it works most of the time.

spargo
6th July 2005, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by michaelvjsmyth@Jul 6 2005, 12:55 AM
For the record - PPS is a Powerpoint SHOW not presentation - ppt is a PowerPoint presentation.

A show is a cut down version, which as I am aware DOESN"T work on Mac, change the extention to .ppt, and click on it. .pps is a cut down version when you double click on it it automatically launches in to the show, on a PC, but not on a Mac
For the record, the attached file is a .pps, which I created on my Mac, and it seems I CAN open on my Mac..

See if you can too!

In future michaelvjsmyth, can you please verify your information/advice before posting - we aren't all always right, but it helps to check things just to be sure..

Currawong
6th July 2005, 08:38 PM
Here's a trick to find out what a file is:

Open /Applications/Utilities/Terminal.app (ie: the Terminal program in Utilities).
Type: file and drag the attachment to the terminal window.
Press Enter.
You'll get info on what the file is, if it's recognised.

You possibly could be receiving viruses. If you're getting a .ini, .exe or other Windows only files from unknown senders, that'd be the reason they don't open. Otherwise, sometimes Mac OS X just needs you to tell it which application opens what. You can do this by clicking on a file and pressing Command-I in the Finder for "Get Info" where you'll find options to set which program opens a file.

danno74
6th July 2005, 11:59 PM
Dave,

Sometimes files come through on email that are .exe files - these cannot be opened on a Mac, unless you have Virtual PC which runs Windows on your Mac. An .exe file is a Windows format only.

mvjs
7th July 2005, 07:12 AM
Well, I have made pps before on my pc and I have tried I can NOT open pps at my Mac or at my works Mac.

I double click on it, and puff, nothing

Both have office installed

cazlar
7th July 2005, 08:18 AM
Originally posted by Currawong@Jul 6 2005, 08:38 PM
Type: file and drag the attachment to the terminal window.

Cool, I never knew this tip, but it seems to be quite informative (even giving info on line endings in some cases). I like the description it gives to one of my files: "ASCII English text, with very long lines" which is true, it does have long lines! :D

pipsqeek
7th July 2005, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by michaelvjsmyth@Jul 6 2005, 09:55 AM

all power point extensions work on Mac. You are doing something wrong.

I use both PPS and PPT because I do a fair bit of presentations that need to be transfered to PC's sometimes.

Regarding the display of the file extension, this is easily solved by going to the Finder. Go to the Finder menu, Preferences. And check the "Show All File Extensions". Picture is posted below for clarity.

pipsqeek