PDA

View Full Version : Video Camera

aussiedeano
5th July 2005, 05:02 PM
Have you seen the new JVC Everio camera? Very cool, but not compatible with Mac OS. :angry: What's the deal with that? Does anyone know of a comparable product that is compatible with Mac? And is there a 3rd party system to make it compatible? Thinking of buying one, and would be good to be able to use it on the Mac.....

Thanks!

Aussiedeano :D

Wheels
5th July 2005, 05:12 PM
I don't know of any comparable products at the moment but isn't there another product that can read the MicroDrives that they use??

aussiedeano
5th July 2005, 10:18 PM
Hmmm, not sure......anyone?

Soap
6th July 2005, 12:12 PM
not as cute...but it has firewire (http://www.smarthouse.com.au/ArticlesByTopic/DigitalLifestyle/2066)

D_J_M
6th July 2005, 05:24 PM
Apples and Oranges.

The JVC is a hard drive gadget... with a fairly ordinary CCD that will give you average pictures. The Sony you mention soap, is the dogs nuts of camcorders and the first High Definition of it's type and size... it's also three and a half grand retail.. for pure video quality it makes the JVC look like a 1960's model....

Also... I believe 99% of cameras you can buy today have firewire....

That said the JVC is oh so cool.. Although the Hard Drive size is pathetic... no good for a two week holiday....

aussiedeano
6th July 2005, 08:54 PM
True, but dump and erase. For family shots, a wedding or 2, it should be just fine. Miss the firewire, and Mac compatibility. But, for $1000 less, will do me fine. Plus, can buy it out of the UK for 699 pounds! $1650! Nice one.....why are we getting sc***ed for stuff here in Aus? US price, $1500. With the dollar at the moment, why do we get to pay more? Like a grand? Where's the justice.......

Soap
7th July 2005, 12:08 AM
Originally posted by D_J_M@Jul 6 2005, 05:24 PM
Apples and Oranges.

The JVC is a hard drive gadget... with a fairly ordinary CCD that will give you average pictures. The Sony you mention soap, is the dogs nuts of camcorders and the first High Definition of it's type and size... it's also three and a half grand retail.. for pure video quality it makes the JVC look like a 1960's model....

Also... I believe 99% of cameras you can buy today have firewire....

That said the JVC is oh so cool.. Although the Hard Drive size is pathetic... no good for a two week holiday....
the sony claims to be HD but its resolution is SD, Sony have fudged the figures to try and market this baby as HD.

Comet
7th July 2005, 02:35 AM
Originally posted by Soap@Jul 7 2005, 01:08 AM
the sony claims to be HD but its resolution is SD, Sony have fudged the figures to try and market this baby as HD.
1440x1080 is SD? Hmmm, I was pretty sure that resolution is HD

D_J_M
7th July 2005, 08:16 AM

????

It's High Def. There is no fudging of figures.

I feel your pain aussiedeano. I am currently in the market for a camera and looking at overseas prices we are getting ripped off. I think your forgeign exchange conversion to pounds sterling is very optimistic.....plus you will stil be liable for GST..... I too can buy in the UK and I dont think the prices are much better by the time you look at the best deal you can get here..... the US though is on average 25-33% cheaper.....

Squozen
7th July 2005, 10:18 AM
That Sony has just entered my shortlist of cameras to buy. :)