PDA

View Full Version : Auto-startup for a desktop/laptop?

cosmichobo
2nd August 2009, 08:45 PM
G'day,

The most recent of many Apple tablet thread got me curious about the idea of "computers" that can boot up at the press of a button, instead of going through current startup procedures.

(I'll preface this by saying - OS X is so fast at starting up compared to previous Mac systems, and ANY Windows system I've used, it doesn't really worry me... and I don't turn my Macs off except in rare cases, and sleep isn't terribly annoying to wake from either... but still - instant use would be even better... right?)

A Mac can wake from sleep in a few seconds... with maybe a few extra seconds to get things like Airport running again. The Mac achieves this sleep state using a minimal amount of power. So - it can go from a powered-off-like-state, to fully functioning in a number of seconds. What holds it back from being able to go from power-off to fully functioning in that same time frame?

Though a horrid comparison, when quitting VirtualPC, instead of turning the "PC" off, you could simply quit, and it would save the virtual system, and then resume it when you wanted to.

Thus... would it be possible to have - if you will - a massive PRAM built into your Mac, that "saved" everything when you turned it off, and then resumed it all when you turned back on?

Would you even want this feature?

cheers

cosmic

qwawtuhs
3rd August 2009, 02:14 AM

~Coxy
3rd August 2009, 11:09 AM
What you described is Hibernate. :)

Hibernate to a SSD instead of a hard disk and that's basically a "massive PRAM."

ada_lovelace
3rd August 2009, 05:05 PM
Presumably it's not as stable/reliable saving data in this type of memory over long periods of time...?

~Coxy
3rd August 2009, 06:00 PM
It's pretty stable. The contents of RAM is stored to a file on your hard disk that's the same size as your total amount of RAM. You can leave it for an hour or a year and it will resume to the exact same state.