PDA

View Full Version : Glossy vs. non-glossy displays - pictures

MissionMan
2nd August 2009, 08:17 PM
Thought this would interest those looking at whether the non-glossy display is worthwhile. This is a macbook pro 15" along side a 17" with the non-glossy screen. Photos of the laptops off and on.

First off, here are both screen off, obviously the difference is massive but the real proof of the pudding is when you turn them on.

Off
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2508/3780783678_4f1536794f_o.jpg

For those who think the focus point and the location of laptops makes a difference, here is the same comparison with the focus point on the closer laptop in alternating position. No modifications of the photo in any form. These pictures are NEF's converted to JPG with only in camera sharpening.

Non-glossy closest (obviously)
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2609/3779972093_08d79a0f93_o.jpg

Glossy closest
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2479/3779972189_062ce20259_o.jpg

iguy83
2nd August 2009, 08:23 PM
While I thought I would have issues with the glossy screen.. I really dont have any problems with it at all.. No, I rarely use it outdoors, and I have never owned an Apple Non-glossy display. I have had other laptops with non gloss and I really didnt like the picture quality. But i think glossy gives a beautiful picture.

wolfie
2nd August 2009, 08:26 PM
i love glossy everything and think matte looks old now.

glitch
2nd August 2009, 08:27 PM
Not sure that your photos of displays give any real comparison for those unsure of which they prefer.

I have both types of screens and would never bother with a matte screen again, video and still photos just look so much better on the glossy screens.

I have never found any particular issue with reflections with my glossy screens, mind you matte screens can be just about unusable in certain situations due to reflections.

I think the only effective way to decide which you prefer is to try them in the type of environment you use the displays in with the content you consider most important.

I know I use my MBA outside a lot and no matte screen touches it for clarity and brightness in that situation.

I know other people who claim they would never use a glossy screen, generally though I find they have not actually tried anything other than a matte screen!

MissionMan
2nd August 2009, 08:52 PM
I know other people who claim they would never use a glossy screen, generally though I find they have not actually tried anything other than a matte screen!

Incidentally, I've tried the glossy screen, I had the glossy on my previous macbook black and now again on my macbook pro 15" unibody. The 15" unibody in the picture is my laptop that I gave to my wife. I can vouch for the fact that the unibody glossy is impressive and I normally prefer the liveliness of the glossy's but the new 17" screen is really amazing. I originally got the non-glossy because I needed something for colour correctness on photos but putting the 17" and 15" side by side I think you'd be hard pressed to pick the glossy 15" as a winner. Incidentally the new matt is a true 24 bit vs 18 bit for the glossy.

I'd love to put it side by side with one of the old matt screens to see if it is actually that much better than the previous generation matt.

PeteinSA
2nd August 2009, 08:57 PM
While I thought I would have issues with the glossy screen.. I really dont have any problems with it at all.. No, I rarely use it outdoors, and I have never owned an Apple Non-glossy display. I have had other laptops with non gloss and I really didnt like the picture quality. But i think glossy gives a beautiful picture.

Yep, what he said. I think glossy screens really assist with claarity, brightness and liveliness of pictures and video. Everyone who has used my MBP loves it and the awesome screen (my MBP is the office ho - everyone loves it because of the sharpness of the screen, and now the boss has one too!)

Peter

Kid A
2nd August 2009, 09:12 PM
If you have the screen facing you, the difference is far less, and the computer is easier to use also :p

Then again, I love the gloss

Buthidae
2nd August 2009, 10:10 PM
I don't mind the glossy screen, but I do really miss the matte screen I had on my previous Powerbooks.

dotnet
3rd August 2009, 12:12 AM
I can vouch for the fact that the unibody glossy is impressive and I normally prefer the liveliness of the glossy's but the new 17" screen is really amazing.

I second that. Before I ordered my MBP I was agonising for weeks over the glossy vs matte questions, searching the net for information, reading every piece of opinion I could find, etc. Then I did what I should have done right at the beginning, went to Apple Store and looked at them side by side.

The Apple Store at George St Sydney happens to have the matte and glossy 17" MBPs sitting right next to each other on the bench. I ran a number of identical screen content tests on them simultaneously (about 20 minutes worth), but it was pretty much decided after the first 10 seconds - the matte screen walks all over the glossy one. It is really that much better, there is no contest at all. Interestingly, the glossy screen's expected advantage in saturation is marginal at best.

If you're thinking about getting a 17" MBP go out and look at both of the displays side by side if you can, before deciding which one to get. I know which way you'll decide.

Cheers
Steffen.

pengu
3rd August 2009, 01:45 AM
I have one question for anyone with this setup:

How do you(r eyes) handle a MB/MBP with a matte screen combined with the new ACD with glossy screen?

The majority of my time is spent writing code, but I do have to do some graphics here and there (UI design more than actual "artistic" design), and I'm starting to think about the next machine to replace a 2007 MBP 17" (matte) and a 2005 20" ACD. I haven't used a glossy display besides a few minutes in the apple store so I'm not sure how well i'll go with it.

Maybe by the time I want to buy they'll have updated the 30" to have Magsafe+MDP while keeping the matte finish..

glitch
3rd August 2009, 07:30 AM
I originally got the non-glossy because I needed something for colour correctness on photos

There is no difference between the glossy & matte with regards to colour correctness. If colour correctness is truly an issue then you wont be using a laptop anyway.

If you're thinking about getting a 17" MBP go out and look at both of the displays side by side if you can, before deciding which one to get. I know which way you'll decide.

No! You dont know what others will decide. ;)

MissionMan
3rd August 2009, 07:57 AM
There is no difference between the glossy & matte with regards to colour correctness. If colour correctness is truly an issue then you wont be using a laptop anyway.

...other than the fact that you can't use a colour calibration tool on a glossy screen :cool:

Angsty
3rd August 2009, 08:48 AM
Being a "glossy nay-sayer", I found myself owning a MBA with a glossy screen - due to lack of choice.

I do admit that the glossy screen *does* make things look prettier on my screen, BUT, I still find myself sometimes hunching over and twisting my neck and back to avoid the shine and glare of reflection from the over head office lights and the light from the windows behind my back. (I do not have an option to change my seat - this is what I have been assigned)

Despite that, I would say that the glossy screen is "OK" for my needs, EXCEPT...

The most annoying thing that is almost UNBEARABLE... is the reflection of the light from the screen onto the keyboard. *sigh*

I actually didn't notice how shiny my keys were till I tilted my MBA to adjust its position and all of a sudden, my eyes re-adjusted to the decrease in reflected light. I find myself twisting and contorting my neck to get away from this problem more than from the reflections on the glossy screen.

So, I think I should start a campaign or petition for a "matte keyboard"

Ang :)

raoulw
3rd August 2009, 09:50 AM
the matte screen walks all over the glossy one

Agreed. I also agonised over my 13" MB Unibody. I use it for photo editing in all sorts of weird places when on the road that I have no choice over, and the refection really **is** a pain. I can't wait for Apple to get their head screwed on right & allow those that want/need the matte option -- from a productivity perspective -- to have it.

Cheers,
Raoul

raoulw
3rd August 2009, 10:01 AM
...other than the fact that you can't use a colour calibration tool on a glossy screen :cool:

Until recently this was the case, but not anymore. This Rob Galbraith review of the new MBP's addresses glossy-v-matte and color accuracy quite well. An interesting read.

Rob Galbraith DPI: Revamped MacBook Pro line delivers top-notch display quality (http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=7-10041-10146)

dche5390
3rd August 2009, 02:37 PM
I wanna put a glossy screen over me missus ... maybe it'll make her look ... better.

glitch
3rd August 2009, 04:31 PM

Umm..completely untrue!

Regardless of calibration, if you want true colour accuracy you wouldnt be using a laptop display.

Perhaps people are forgetting that the displays we use when colour accuracy really is important- CRT's - are glossy!

MissionMan
3rd August 2009, 04:39 PM
Umm..completely untrue!

Regardless of calibration, if you want true colour accuracy you wouldnt be using a laptop display.

Yup, as someone pointed out earlier, the newer colour calibration tools also work on glossy.

Whether its true or not, the whole whole external monitor debate depends on the level of accuracy required, circumstances and the budget. Not everyone wants to spend $1.5K plus on a 100% true colour monitor and its a lot harder to drag a 24" eizo monitor around with you when you are travelling on aeroplanes. A "close to correct" laptop screen is better than nothing but if anyone has a 24" colour correct screen on hand, would they really be bitching about whether their laptop screen is glossy or not?