PDA

View Full Version : Need a strap-on / adaptor..

Devil rolla
1st August 2009, 06:11 PM
So ive got a mac mini setup as a htmc and ive got the mini-dvi to dvi, then a dvi to hdmi..

sept i have about 4cm of black on the left and right of my pos soniq 42inch plasma and 2cm top and bottom.

When i plug my MBP in, it fills the screen.

So i went and bought the S-video adaptor and the vga adaptor + cords to test the picture and see if either of the other options pleased my inner questions about getting the image to the edge of the screen.

to my horror the mini-dvi dvi end wont accept the adaptors i have cause the adaptors i have ( all apple ) have 4 extra prongs around the spade part and wont interconnect.

so my question, is there an adaptor / addition i can buy to test my theories or am i at a dead end ?

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y169/devilrolla12345/IMG_1461.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y169/devilrolla12345/IMG_1459.jpg

Devil rolla
2nd August 2009, 11:17 AM
Anyone ?

gehenna
2nd August 2009, 11:32 AM
You bought the wrong adapter - Apple sell DVI-D and regular DVI adapters - you need to buy the one that matches the gear you already have.

Aladdin
2nd August 2009, 08:23 PM
The new Mac mini only outputs DVI-D (digital only).

The four pins you mention are used to output an analog signal - and thus ensures pin-compatibility with S-video and VGA (analog signals). Support for analog video was discontinued when the Mac mini was updated earlier this year.

So even if you buy a mini-DVI to DVI-I (integrated = digital and analog) adaptor, you will still get no signal on your analog-connected displays.

You will need to get a previous gen machine (anything pre-mini displayport) to output analog video.

BenW
2nd August 2009, 08:50 PM
need a strap on? I thought I was in the wrong forums for a second there...:p

stewiesno1
2nd August 2009, 09:05 PM
I did a double take on that heading too BenW !

Stewie

Devil rolla
3rd August 2009, 08:40 AM
Went to the local mac1 store, useless idiots.

Basically Gehenna ur right. The adaptor I had were mbp adaptors, apple make a mini-dvi to s-video and vga. I bought the VGA and tested it out....but I wish I hadn't. Lol, thanks guys.