PDA

View Full Version : Apple has woken the dragon

mab
1st August 2009, 02:00 PM
FCC Takes On Apple And AT&T Over Google Voice Rejection

Details here (http://www.techcrunch.com/2009/07/31/fcc-takes-on-apple-and-att-over-google-voice-rejection/)

Kirium
1st August 2009, 02:16 PM
It seems strange that Apple hasn't cottoned onto the fact that their secrecy helps them in areas like developing and releasing new products, and is only going to hurt them in other areas, especially areas that they rely on others for their success (like devs and the app store).

It seems like there's a lot of people out there (http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/news/comments/iphone-devs-killing-future-apps-over-apple-policies-pricing/) that think Apple have finally gone too far (http://www.tuaw.com/2009/07/30/yeah-theres-an-app-for-that-but-for-how-long-and-at-what-cos/) with their lack of transparency, poor attitudes to developers and unfair app store policies.

No surprise that the FCC has taken an interest. I don't expect they'll be the last.

motef
1st August 2009, 02:57 PM
We call it "Poking the bear" in our workplace

Apoptosis
1st August 2009, 03:19 PM
I doubt anything will probably come of it, because the ramifications would be HUGE for how US telcos operate. It is encouraging to see it looked at though - it sucks how such basic things like skype apps are reduced in functionality because AT&T have a cry to apple.

dotnet
1st August 2009, 03:27 PM
FCC Takes On Apple And AT&T Over Google Voice Rejection

Some tough questions there. Hopefully heads will roll and these AppStore shenanigans will be put to rest.

Cheers
Steffen.

MissionMan
1st August 2009, 03:59 PM
I think its great. I think Apple were stupid to reject the App and I think they've let their relationship with AT&T let them make some ridiculous decisions. I'm not sure who Steve Jobs is sleeping with at AT&T but she must be damn hot to have allowed them to continue as long as they have.

matthew858
1st August 2009, 04:12 PM
From the letters posted on TUAW, it seems that the FCC may also change how Apple deals with AppStore apps and the approval process, as they are quizzing how Google's AppStore works on Andriod phones (the store has no approval process, everything is instant).

mab
1st August 2009, 11:50 PM
I doubt anything will probably come of it, because the ramifications would be HUGE for how US telcos operate. It is encouraging to see it looked at though - it sucks how such basic things like skype apps are reduced in functionality because AT&T have a cry to apple.

That's the thing, is it AT&T ? and if it is, why are there the same restrictions in other country's?

Chief911
2nd August 2009, 12:02 AM
That's the thing, is it AT&T ? and if it is, why are there the same restrictions in other country's?

coz it would be obvious if they allowed differnt version of apps to go out....this way they have deniability..

not really but...you know

mab
2nd August 2009, 12:13 AM
coz it would be obvious if they allowed differnt version of apps to go out....this way they have deniability..

not really but...you know

They do allow certain apps to go out in some country's and not others.