PDA

View Full Version : How to set up a modem?

mulquemi
31st July 2009, 09:14 AM
Dear Mac Users,
At the risk of showing me up to be totally ignorant of modems for ADSL.
For over four years I have had a bigpond internet service that has always worked without problems.Recently I have purchased some modems and combination modem/routers from other "mactalk" members with the thought that I could configure them to my service and then if the bigpond modem was to fail,I will have a spare.
Yesterday my bigpond modem seriously failed and will never operate again,my dilemma is that I have all these spare modems available however,not one is configured to allow internet connection to occur.
I have the following difficulties:
If I had a PC I could use it with the supplied CD to configure the modem....I'm a mac user with no PC's
I do not know where to start and what infomation to ask of bigpond to begin the task of configuring my modems that I have all "ready to use".
Is there any person prepared to offer a bit of helpful support in my " time of need"?
I do know what my user name is and my password but that's it so far.
Regards
mulquemi

Byrd
31st July 2009, 09:18 AM
Hi Michael,

First I'd start with looking up a PDF manual for the best ADSL modem you have; it will provide information on how to access it's web-based configuration.

Then, connect an ethernet cable between your Mac and the modem, turn it on and type it's IP address into your web browser, eg:

http://192.x.x.x

Once you're in, the first thing I'd do is a factory reset of the firmware. Once this has been done, you can enter your username and password and that in theory should give you working net access.

Once all is well, I'd update the firmware to the latest you can find for your modem, and then you can start to enable wireless and encryption should it be featured.

Good luck,

JB

mulquemi
31st July 2009, 01:32 PM
Dear Byrd,
Thanks for your advice (mac from work-lunch) I have tried to follow the manual's of each and as yet despite pressing their reset buttons the length of time to achieve default settings I still have their previous owners passwords ,names etc.
I'm unable to get to that factory setting,do I need to press the reset for longer?
I'll have another go and see what happens,thanks again.
Mulquemi

Byrd
31st July 2009, 03:21 PM
Hi Michael,

the thing with ADSL modems is that they're all different, and only the manual will tell you how to properly wipe whatever settings are saved to it. But yes, most respond to the reset button being held down for a period of time, usually 10+ seconds. As mentioned you can do the same by resetting the modem to factory default in the web interface too.

Good luck,

JB

mulquemi
3rd August 2009, 01:35 PM
Dear mac Users,
I finally accessed the router page and all was well until the stage where I synchronize the router/modem's timer with the current time,wouldn't work until eventually (my clever son)got it to sync',wonderful or so I thought.
As the unit was working nicely ,I thought I'll set up the encryption and the admin pass word info,easy enough,no it was not! Everything then locked up and the only way I could access again was to factory reset.
Now I'm back to the beginning although unable to sync' the timer at all and even with my good son's help I have no success.
As I am at work I am presently unable to say what model the unit is.
I'll find out and edit some more.
Thanks for your support.
mulquemi

mulquemi
4th August 2009, 01:31 PM
Dear mac users,
These Billion router modems seem very touchy,I have found that simply setting encryption can be tricky at best and frustrating at worse.
I have finally get it working correctly (Model BiPac 7401VP/VGP) however,it proved a headache so thanks for the support from you people,it's really appreciated.
mulquemi