PDA

View Full Version : anyone a hard drive recovery surgeon

estoyloco
25th June 2004, 01:08 PM
I sold my old cases 2.5" that i used to hold my 60GB 2.5" laptop HDD, anyways i can seem to get it to powerup anymore... it doesnt even try to spin up, or anything.. does anyone have any suggestions on how to get it working again? is it most likely dead.. im considering getting a 3.5"case with a 3.5" to 2.5"converter.. cos i need a big external disk now that i have finished exams and can make my cannes film festival award winning film..

anyway if anyone can help they will recieve my thanks...

thanks!

Byrd
26th June 2004, 01:06 PM
(topic moved to Help!)

Hi estoyloco,

What does the printed circuit board of the drive look like - are there any melted components/hairline cracks/dark areas that look a bit suss? If the data on the drive is very important, I'd look at buying the exact same HD and replacing the PCB with a new one.

But first I'd pick up a $10 3.5" --> 2.5" adaptor and try it in a desktop machine. If you've really nothing to lose, give it a whack (have it lying on a desk) as sometimes the bearings on these drives seize up (albeit on older drives, not newer ones).

If nothing works, a 3.5" HD in a case will be much cheaper, as you'd be able to get a 200+GB 3.5" vs. the same price as a 60GB 2.5" one.

JB

kim jong il
26th June 2004, 08:53 PM
This is definitely a case where more information is needed. Even if the drive will not spin up some of the more advanced disk utilities will still be able to recognise the device if the motheboard is functioning AND the device is powered up and connected. Even 'about this computer' will tell you if the computer can recognise the device (mostly). If it is not, follow bYrds advice. BTW Drive10 and disk warrior are handy utilities that provide SOME information.

Troubleshooting? power, cableing, jumpers, device recognition? cableing (again), Go from there

Data recovery is the easy part, albeit sometimes time consuming, if the media is not damaged.

I'm often reminded of a dishwasher technician, years ago, who turned on the power switch and made the profound observation: It's not working. (no shit sherlock; why do you think I called?) He responded that many people often ignore the blindingly obvious.

I'm not suggesting that this is the case here, but methodical checking of EVERYTHING is a really good place to start.

Good luck, kim

estoyloco
1st July 2004, 04:10 PM
ok, i have it in an external case, 2.5"

When you usually plug in the usb adaptor the LED on the case will light up. On the current case the LED wont light up at all...BUT if i have no HDD connected to the case and plug in the USB cable to the CASE without a HDD in it, the LED lights up, SO the case seems fine

Case #2, i have a case, the LED lights up, but goes ORANGE (instead of Green) and cant connect or power up the HDD, as it doesnt mount on the computer or i cant hear it booting up..

any of this spark off some ideas?

dirtymouse
27th July 2004, 07:07 PM
Originally posted by estoyloco@Jul 1 2004, 04:10 PM
ok, i have it in an external case, 2.5"

When you usually plug in the usb adaptor the LED on the case will light up. On the current case the LED wont light up at all...BUT if i have no HDD connected to the case and plug in the USB cable to the CASE without a HDD in it, the LED lights up, SO the case seems fine

Case #2, i have a case, the LED lights up, but goes ORANGE (instead of Green) and cant connect or power up the HDD, as it doesnt mount on the computer or i cant hear it booting up..

any of this spark off some ideas?
sounds like the power supply on the device is faulty. if it powers the usb board but no drive.

check the internal power cables that go from the PSU to the controller board

where you go from here, i'm not sure.

if it were me:

[a] put your ear to the drive mechanism and listen for 'constipated' sounds or clicking
[b] swap the 2.5" drive into another USB or firewire enclosure (and see what happens)
[c] plug the drive into a spare powerbook (swap the internal) and see if it spins up
[d] use a cheapish 3.5" to 2.5" ATA step down HD ribbon cable converter do-hicky (dangerous)
and fire it up from a desktop mac using an ATA & 4pin Power connection.

once you have determined that the drive is working, you will know the usb case is buggered. Probably power supply. throw it away and get a new one.

alternately, if the mechanism appears dead [a]-[d], if under warranty, return to manufacturer.
You will be waiting days or weeks for replacement.

hope this gives you something to work with