PDA

View Full Version : apple store in concept art in todays AGE paper

Chief911
28th July 2009, 12:24 PM
just spotted apple store in todays age newspaper with story about redevelopment of lonsdale street myers....

sorry but dont have time/respoces to add pic atm...

if anyone could would be apreciated...

tcn33
28th July 2009, 12:33 PM
Good spot, I hadn't noticed that. Wouldn't read into it though.

http://img.skitch.com/20090728-eu3e6hw3i3m1x4ees9aghqxe5t.preview.jpg (http://skitch.com/toby/b3881/picture-2)

Lonsdale House to be bulldozed|Art-deco landmark|Melbourne's CBD (http://www.theage.com.au/national/artdeco-landmark-lonsdale-house-to-be-bulldozed-20090727-dygh.html)

Phase
28th July 2009, 12:34 PM
Construction due to be completed for Christmas 2012.

Heh. Enjoy that.

Chief911
28th July 2009, 04:46 PM
if it was true, 2012 is far to long to wait to have a CBD store

im still betting on the space next to JB hifi in burke st...doors were open today, looks like the right shape.... fingers crossed

Mecha
28th July 2009, 06:32 PM
I doubt The Age know more then we do.

mitty
28th July 2009, 06:37 PM
It's probably just wishful thinking on the part of the Developer. But I doubt we'll wait that long. One would hope we'll get one somewhere in the CBD sometime in 2010.

I still think Bourke Street is not the spot Apple would want to go, though nobody seems to know what IS going there. But one would think that if it was going there, then they would already be advertising for staff similar to Perth and Brisbane.

I still say the recently closed McGills is a great spot, though a bit small, they'd need to completely rip it down and start from scratch. It also doesn't look in very good taste for a book store that closed through lack of interest to be replaced by a multi national computer company :D

Also, I was under the impression that Myer was moving completely into the Bourke Street Store. So that would mean the Myer Lonsdale store is being completely revamped as this "Emporium".

What will be most annoying is that we probably won't be able to walk through their any more, between Bourke Street Mall and Melbourne Central. That will be annoying, unless it's done in stages. Somebody said that Myer would be demolished except for the facade, and then completely rebuilt as this "Emporium".

But don't we have enough shops in the CBD anyway?

Phillo
29th July 2009, 01:09 PM
I dont think that Apple would move into the old Village Cinema site on bourke st. All the flag ship stores have street level entrances... and I dont think having a dirty great yellow JB Hi Fi at the bottom would suit the Apple design brief.

The one spot that would have been perfect for them is the corner of Bourke and Swanston that is now home to the unfortunate T-Life store. But alas... that is no longer in the mix.

So really... Who knows?? From a "Apple is a premium brand" perspective... a store on Collins St would fit. But i am not aware of any sites that are available at this stage.

So that really leaves us with the Emporium site mentioned through this thread.

You would imagine that turning a chunk of the Myer Lonsdale St store into a Flagship Apple store would be a really positive move for Apple. It would cement them in the Melbourne landscape in a location that is ICONIC to us in Melbourne. It seems to fit the criteria doesnt it?

mkatsa1
29th July 2009, 03:45 PM
The one spot that would have been perfect for them is the corner of Bourke and Swanston that is now home to the unfortunate T-Life store. But alas... that is no longer in the mix.

I agree that would of been a PRIME location.....Apple should of fought for that building and payed whatever was needed because a location like that is very rare. I hope Apple now have plans for something GRAND in the Melb CBD as this store will be ridiculous busy as there is ridiculous amounts of foot traffic. They should plan something similar to the Sydney Flagship store.

Phillo
29th July 2009, 04:40 PM
I hope Apple now have plans for something GRAND in the Melb CBD as this store will be ridiculous busy as there is ridiculous amounts of foot traffic.

Agreed. I just walked past where the "emporium" site will be. The amount of foot traffic there is amazing. I think it would be a popular location if Apple actually decide to locate there.