PDA

View Full Version : Sydney - which transport app

Krissy
28th July 2009, 12:01 PM
I am trying to decide which transport app to get - Tripview or Metro Sydney.

I have used the Tripview Lite and found it pretty good, but obviously I can't compare it since there is no free version of Metro.

So what do you guys recommend to be the better of the two?

I want it mainly for buses, as I catch them more than the train.

NeoRicen
28th July 2009, 02:13 PM
Tripview, Metro Sydney is balls (sorry if the developer is here, but Tripview is much nicer).

east
28th July 2009, 02:32 PM
Railtime Sydney (http://www.railtimeapp.com/) is what i use. a bit slow to launch but i like its easy to use gui and the favourites where you can save your train stations.
I suggest you get something more comprehensive which includes buses and ferries. My decision for Railtime Syd was it was cheap and all i need it for is for train schedules.

khalil
28th July 2009, 02:39 PM
I am looking for a transport app for sydney too, railtime Sydney does not seem to be available at the moment here is their site Railtime Sydney (http://www.railtimeapp.com/) and tripview sydney looks pretty nice too.

ajbeardy
28th July 2009, 02:46 PM
Vote 1 for Tripview, very slick app. I only use buses , the only thing it will not tell you is if the bus will turn up??????????

lenman74
28th July 2009, 02:50 PM
does tripview do ferries?

ajbeardy
28th July 2009, 02:55 PM
does tripview do ferries?

Yes it does. It does Trains / Buses / Ferries.

The app also has an inbuilt update so you can download any timetable updates as they come through.

Krissy
28th July 2009, 03:33 PM
OK I'm sold, TripView it is.

I do get the train sometimes, but I never really worry too much when the train comes, I just wait on the platform till ones rocks up.

Buses are more tricky as multiple bus stops in one area for buses going the same way - now I can quickly see which stop to go to.

I wish there was a way in the app to show on a map the location of the bus stop.

wmyeoh
28th July 2009, 03:38 PM
Tripview is an absolutely gorgeous app. It has my vote.

kyte
28th July 2009, 06:54 PM
I bought both, Metro Sydney was good initially but Tripview is now a clear winner

changa
30th July 2009, 09:39 PM
I have both Tripview and Metro Sydney.

Metro Sydney was good, but it has been neglected by the developer, and I have found some of the data to be inaccurate.

I now use TripView (but still have Metro Sydney on my iPhone as a backup).

Go with TripView.

peterjcat
31st July 2009, 09:50 AM
I just got TripView on the recommendations above and so far it seems great.

Dux
31st July 2009, 10:47 AM
Tripview is awesome. I used MetroSydney for ages, but I found it sometimes doesn't list minor stops.

eggs
31st July 2009, 06:14 PM
Tripview is by far my fave, i love it!

eron
3rd August 2009, 10:11 PM
I was in Sydney for Hillsong Conference. Tried the lite version first before my purchase. Didn't regret it at all even though I only used it for a week.

Great app. Helped me catch the best train every morning and evening.

Febs
5th August 2009, 11:27 PM
+1 for Trip View. I especially love the option of having a CityRail-esque display (scrolling blue/yellow timetable). Very, very cool. :)

Cheers,
- Febs.

The_Hawk
7th August 2009, 07:44 AM
I upgraded to Tripview from lite yesterday, providing they update it for Sydney Trains when the timetable is updated later this year then I'm a happy man!

Dust For Eyes
18th December 2012, 02:13 PM
Reviving this thread to let people know that Tripview now has real time information. (http://www.itwire.com/your-it-news/mobility/57949-real-time-sydney-bus-info-comes-to-apps) So it can tell you how late your bus is running.

Peter Wells
18th December 2012, 04:10 PM
I used a few different apps -

Tripview for my saved searches.

Google maps for places I don't go to often.

Stops free as a quick and dirty way to SMS the nearest bus stop. (Easier cos two different buses go by my house)

I love the look of tripgo, but it always has busses or train routes missing when I use it.

kyte
19th December 2012, 08:16 AM
I use Tripview as stated in an much earlier post, but just a few days ago discovered the free Link Express (https://itunes.apple.com/au/app/link-express/id383841412?mt=8) which is of pleasant design and ease of use. Its carries all the NSW info you could want as well, and is free. Worth a look for those who don't want to pay. There's also a paid version ($1.99) but I'm not sure what the differences are.