PDA

View Full Version : Down loading movies from jvc camera

maxcad1188
27th July 2009, 03:02 PM
Hi to all first time to forum. Need some help with down loading from my jvc hard drive movie camera at the moment it down loads in real time, so i was interested to see if their was a quicker way to down load it to the mac.

Cheers to all Andrew.

gehenna
27th July 2009, 03:03 PM
What kind of JVC camera is it? I had no end of trouble trying to download my dads movies from his JVC camera last year - kept timing out, i ended up having to rip the raw data from the hard drive and manually import it into iMovie. Such a headache!

maxcad1188
27th July 2009, 03:09 PM
Hi its a 40GB HDD Hybrid Everio hard disk camcorder nice camera but a pain to transfer and im no genius on the mac either so any help would be much apprieciated.

Cheers Andrew.

gehenna
27th July 2009, 03:10 PM
how are you trying to import the movies? using software that came with the camera or using iMovie (or similar)?

maxcad1188
27th July 2009, 03:12 PM
Hi Gehenna im just using imovie i put the cam in its dock then hook it up to the mac vie a fire wire i think its called.

scritch
27th July 2009, 05:01 PM
Hi Gehenna im just using imovie i put the cam in its dock then hook it up to the mac vie a fire wire i think its called.

If it's using AVCHD as it's codec, try connecting via USB instead of Firewire. It may not work, but if it does it may come across faster than real time.

Sounds to me like the firewire connection is a DV emulation connection (ie iMovie sees it as a tape camera not HDD so spools off the data).

Then again I could be speaking out my ass.

Regards,
Shane.

kai_h
27th July 2009, 09:53 PM
It most likely is using AVCHD, and the import speed of this depends on your Mac, and the software you are using.

If you're using any Apple software (iMovie, Final Cut Pro) the import will happen in around about realtime, even on a Mac Pro you'll probably only get 2x realtime at best. This is because it has to be transcoded to use it.

If you're using Adobe Premiere, it'll import and you'll be able to work with it a lot quicker as Premiere CS4 can work with AVCHD natively, however it uses a LOT of CPU time to do so.