PDA

View Full Version : No Audio With Managed Accounts

zootman
3rd July 2005, 08:41 PM
Hi All,

I was playing about today on my mac mini with OSX 10.4.1. I wanted to create a managed account for my 6 year old son so he can play his games without destroying my machine. I setup a managed account for him and set it to use the simple finder. I unchecked the "dangerous" programs and just allowed the games to appear in his application folder.

Did a fast user switch to his account and all looked good. I was still logged on with my admin account. Whilst on my sons account we fired up one of his games - and no sound. I tried a few other things like garageband and some other noisy games. They were deathly silent - no system related sounds either. I switch back to my admin account, fired up the games on my account and, no worries, sound was heard. Switch back to my sons account - no sound. I then logged my account off, and just logged on to my sons (ensuring he was the only account logged on) - and still no sound.

For hoots, I created a second managed account - same problem - no sound.

So - it seems sound is ok on admin accounts and no good on managed accounts.

Anyone encountered this before ? I suspect a bug, but, hey, I might have buggered something up.......

Can some one try this out and let me know if they have this problem as well ?

Best Regards,

Mac Mini - 1.42 Ghz, 512MB RAM, 80 GB HD, Superdrive.

hawker
4th July 2005, 04:14 AM
Originally posted by zootman@Jul 3 2005, 08:11 PM
Anyone encountered this before ? I suspect a bug, but, hey, I might have buggered something up.......
Apple have had a few audio bugs since Tiger. The iSub going mute when you turn the volume up or down on your keyboard controls is another popular one.

something2sea
3rd September 2006, 09:49 AM
Does that include the 'put-put' sounds? because i've been experimenting with managed accounts (mainly simple finder) aswell, and, am actually browsing this using simple finder, and, tried the 'put-puts' and they work, don't actually have any 'noisy' apps in the 'My Applications' folder, but, yeah.

Also, does anybody know how to delete documents using the simple finder? becuase a single click opens things, we've got a trash in the dock, and can open it, but, it seems like we can't actually move things from the documents folder into the trash, or anything like thatů (sorry to get off topic, but, it seemed to fit with the simple finder thing)

The Architect.mac
3rd September 2006, 10:02 AM
a software update might eliminate some variables...

Jaffa
3rd September 2006, 10:26 AM
yeah, I agree with The Architect.mac, try a Software Update. They usually fix a few problems :)