PDA

View Full Version : Google Latitude on the iphone

mitty
24th July 2009, 01:26 PM
As reported on Macrumors.

MacRumors iPhone Blog: Google Latitude Web App for iPhone Now Available (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2009/07/23/google-latitude-web-app-for-iphone-now-available/)

I just gave it a quick test and it works fine except so far I don't have any friends (lol). There's really only one or two people who I'd want to know my location and most of the time they'd just ring me and say "where are you?"

Also it only updates your location when you're logged into it. So it could be useful but is really a bit of a gimmick at least that's how it seems to me.

bok
24th July 2009, 01:28 PM
I went to play with this before, Google told me that I'm supposed to have friends before I can view their location ;-) It might be more useful if I lived in the Google-centric app world but I'm not there yet.

-bok

aspro
24th July 2009, 01:41 PM
Interesting idea, having it integrated in Maps.app rather than a web app would be better as well. I'm in the same boat as bok, so I can't even try it :P

morgs
24th July 2009, 04:29 PM
Yeah, I am not sure about this one either and like others I am thinking that it is only a small group that I would like knowing where I am and without on the fly updating of ones location it may not be very interesting for a while yet.

Cybix
24th July 2009, 04:43 PM
pretty neat

Exocet
24th July 2009, 04:44 PM
Difference between this and Brightkite?

Dux
24th July 2009, 11:25 PM
Difference between this and Brightkite?

One is run by the almighty Google, the other some small startup which will be bought out/close down eventually?

I like Brightkite though.

Beau
24th July 2009, 11:37 PM
Ditto - no Google using friends. BrightKite is more useful for me, for now anyway

wmyeoh
25th July 2009, 08:22 AM
One of my mates has been using this for a while on another phone and asking me to get on it. Now that it's available for the iPhone my first impressions have been that it has it's uses, but maybe only for one or two people in your life.

It's a bit of a odd thing, because if it's a loved one like your partner, you probably already know where they are, but if it's anyone else, you probably don't care enough to want to know.

Dux
26th July 2009, 05:05 PM
It's a bit of a odd thing, because if it's a loved one like your partner, you probably already know where they are, but if it's anyone else, you probably don't care enough to want to know.

QFT

mitty
14th December 2010, 07:10 AM
Bump :) So the official Google Latitude App has been released... Google Latitude for iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPod touch (3rd generation), iPod touch (4th generation), and iPad on the iTunes App Store (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/google-latitude/id306586497?mt=8) the difference being that this one runs in the background (at least on iOS4+) and so your friends and contacts would be able to see where you are any time they like, assuming you leave the feature switched on (you can turn it off at will).

Watch the tin foil hats work overtime on this one.

kyte
16th December 2010, 05:52 AM
I just cannot see any point to this kind of app. My friends and rellies know where I am, and other random people who I might email with from time to time have no need to know where I am (and if they want to know... they can rack off)

It all seems just pointless. A new toy.

forno
16th December 2010, 07:02 AM
I installed Latitude on my iPhone4 on the day it was released and my phone dropped to Edge. I backed up and tried DFU, set up as new, then restore from backup. No go.

I had to restore from backup from the night prior to installing Latitude, and now the phone is fine.

Related??? but that was the only software, or setting change that was made

Highlife09
26th December 2010, 09:42 PM
I'm not entirely positive to this kind of apps (probably the whole google concept and their way to connect everything together..). I want my services and applications to be separated.

My friend on the otherway, is highly-excited about all new google apps :-)