PDA

View Full Version : MBA or MBP 13"

wretched sinner
23rd July 2009, 04:47 PM
I know it seems a bit of a silly question, but I'm trying to decide between a MBA or MBP 13". I like the idea of the air, and the reduced weight as I will carry it around often. Obviously, the price of the MBP is nicer than the Air, although I will be buying Refurb if possible to get a better price. The extra ports on the MBP are nice to have, but not essential. If I go the MBP I'll get 4Gb RAM, and would prefer the SSD for either.

Can anyone give me their impressions of both machines?

Soli Deo Gloria

Jerome

arkenstone
23rd July 2009, 04:56 PM
Go and double check the specs for each machine. It's fuck-all 'lighter' and the price and power penalties aren't worth it.

The 13incher is great value.

I don't understand why you want the SSD though. If it's for either battery life or performance the bottom of the range laptop's aren't going to suit you anyway. Your money could be better spent than an investment in an SSD.

MissionMan
23rd July 2009, 05:09 PM
I don't understand why you want the SSD though. If it's for either battery life or performance the bottom of the range laptop's aren't going to suit you anyway.

I'd be interested to see a performance comparison between an Air and a Macbook Pro with the Air running an SSD. I'd be willing to bet that the Air would probably beat the Pro on startup, shutdown, opening of most applications etc. For example, startup and shutdown of the SSD is normally half the time. To get a machine to start twice as quickly would take a fair whack of processor and ram.

Maybe its worth doing a test, but I'd put the money on the Air for anything except hardcore processing like encoding.

Vaempyr
23rd July 2009, 05:21 PM
Go and double check the specs for each machine. It's fuck-all 'lighter' and the price and power penalties aren't worth it.

The 13incher is great value.
It's ~700gm. For some, that's significant; I know it has been for me given i carry my MBA - along with a lot of other stuff - to and from work, the train, etc. every work day. Every little bit I can take out of my bag becomes worth it some days.

I use my 1st-gen MBA for Word and Entourage at the office, often with iTunes running. And Safari, of course. At home, add Bento and Tweetie. Delicious Library, and iPhoto probably round out my most often-used applications. Load times aren't brilliant, but they're not that bad; i guess it just depends on how patient you're prepared to be and whether application-speed is more valuable to you than size and weight.

DagrtheSnide
23rd July 2009, 05:33 PM
I would buy the MBP, you get more for less money.

Quamen
23rd July 2009, 06:12 PM

I ride a bike to work. Your so called 'fuck-all' weight makes a huge difference. The size difference is also significant when you have a bag full of other gear.

That being said work just bought me a new 13" MBP, it was DOA though. As soon as I get the replacement I'll do a comparison of the two machines.

iJohn
23rd July 2009, 06:13 PM
what turns me off bout the air no superdrive!

Reubania
23rd July 2009, 06:21 PM
what turns me off bout the air no superdrive!

Just buy the external Superdrive.

It really depends on two factors:

1. Weight. If this is important, then the Air wins hands down.

2. Processing capabilities. What do you want it for? It's perfect for light processing (Office/iWorks), iPhoto, iTunes, playing movies and internet. If you're into heavy photo/movie editing, producing or graphic intensive usage, then the Air is not for you. Simple as that.

black painter
23rd July 2009, 07:04 PM
go with the 13 mac book pro!!!! Nice laptop internal cd dvd drive and the graphics is great. Im a truck driver by day and the air does not last the distance. I have a gear bag with a lot of stuff other then the computer and the penatiles are hard to deal with.

LCGuy
24th July 2009, 10:02 AM
Go with the MBP - as great as the Air is, its simply not good value for money.

bennettnz
24th July 2009, 10:10 AM
The weight difference is minimal (even for bike riders) when compared to the extra ports and value for money. I have had big and small laptops in the past and now have the 13 inch MBP and it is by far the best all rounder I have ever owned. No wonder they are selling truckloads of them.

Dux
24th July 2009, 11:20 PM
13" MBP.

MBAs have had some manufacturing issues which still persist in the latest revisions.

MBPs are much better value for money, not to mention also much faster.

OziMac
24th July 2009, 11:28 PM
13" MBP.

MBAs have had some manufacturing issues which still persist in the latest revisions.

MBPs are much better value for money, not to mention also much faster.

Yep. As much as I loved the Air, a broken, 700g lighter computer was not better than a heavier, full featured, and sturdier model.

I won't be buying another MBA until there is a redesign of the case or better thermal management so that I don't have another one fall apart in my hands.

13 inch MBP is serving me very well, and not significantly heavier when it comes to carrying it around in a bag (given the lack of accessories required, like external superdrive and USB hub).

wmyeoh
24th July 2009, 11:29 PM
Have a good long think about how much of an issue weight and size, as that's probably the only advantage of the MBA. Stacked up against all the other advantages of the MBP that the others have mentioned in this thread, and it just doesn't seem like a sensible choice.

kai_h
27th July 2009, 10:12 PM
The 13" MacBook Pro is one of the best laptops that Apple have released in recent memory. It's a solid little machine, has great performance and outstanding battery life. None of these characteristics are shared by the Air.

wretched sinner
28th July 2009, 01:35 PM
How much of a difference does the SSD option make? The proce difference betweena refurbed Air with SSD, and the MBP 13" without are reasonably similar. In reality for what I will use it for, the processor wont make a huge difference, the RAM (going to 4GB) more so (for running VMs for work), and I see the advantage of the SSD if it is worth the performance update.

The issues that the Air has do concern me, but I am also slightly wary of the 13" as it is a Gen 1 product (although the unibody design has been used for a couple of generations now). The extra ports & cd drive really don't make much of a difference for me, as I barely use the ports on what I have!

Cybix
28th July 2009, 01:45 PM
I was in the same boat as you, and recently bought the new MBP 13". It's really not much bigger than the air. weighs a little more yes... very powerful however! I'm really happy with it, best thing about it for me is the battery life. I could have only dreamed of having an apple notebook with this much battery life in the past! :) stoked.

PS. I travel with mine all the time, every day in fact. check out my 'mobile rig (http://www.invertedreality.com/apple/my-mobile-rig)' post

east
28th July 2009, 02:57 PM
i'd pick the Air for its weight ( 1.3 is a winner against 2 kilos) since its a major factor when I travel, but its RAM limitations is a downside or you just dont have room for improvement in that area...plus its pricey.
The MBP 13 is what Im going for now, maybe after snow leaopard is released and that should also be enough time to iron out any 1st release issues of such models.

dche5390
28th July 2009, 03:00 PM
I say MBA. I do find a significant size difference. Weight is a non-issue for me. But for a main computer, MBP. There is no way a MBA can be the main course. Sidedish yes, main no.

Reubania
28th July 2009, 05:41 PM
I say MBA. I do find a significant size difference. Weight is a non-issue for me. But for a main computer, MBP. There is no way a MBA can be the main course. Sidedish yes, main no.

Depends what you use your main computer for! My MBA is my main computer, and has served me well. I replaced my white 13" MacBook with this and haven't looked back! My shoulders have definitely thanked me for it