PDA

View Full Version : TomTom for iPhone release date?

Spud
23rd July 2009, 03:15 PM
Hi

Does anyone know when the release for this software in Australia and where will you be able to buy the car kit (Perth) ? Assume software via iTunes store?
Thanks
Spud

Lutze
23rd July 2009, 03:45 PM
It's still not been announced - best place to get info would probable be here (http://iphone.tomtom.com/)

St Cornelius
23rd July 2009, 04:18 PM
One of the big things about the 3GS was the GPS yet they have really dropped the ball on getting worthwhile apps out for it.... tomtom and garmin would have been working on stuff for a long time but apple is fucking it up for everyone.

How long has the 3gs been out and nothing has happened since the keynote ... a fail if you ask me.

bok
23rd July 2009, 04:38 PM
One of the big things about the 3GS was the GPS yet they have really dropped the ball on getting worthwhile apps out for it.... tomtom and garmin would have been working on stuff for a long time but apple is fucking it up for everyone.

How long has the 3gs been out and nothing has happened since the keynote ... a fail if you ask me.

GPS worked fine under the 3G iPhone. The digital compass new in the 3GS certainly makes things more accurate for turn-by-turn software but was by no means a requirement.

There was no technical reason why TomTom et al couldn't have developed their turn-by-turn applications last year when the 2.0 firmware was released, nothing has changed since then except a licensing condition that prohibited such applications.

They would have been the ones that lobbied to have that condition changed, so they would have had at least a year of development time to port their apps to the iPhone, so it's hardly Apple fucking it up for everyone.

-bok

Lutze
23rd July 2009, 04:38 PM

Oh bugger off. There is already a couple of GPS apps available. The fact that Tom Tom said that their software would be ready at the end of summer (northern hemisphere) should give you a clue as to it not being Apple that is holding things up.

drewbles
23rd July 2009, 04:40 PM
There was no technical reason why TomTom et al couldn't have developed their turn-by-turn applications last year when the 2.0 firmware was released, nothing has changed since then except a licensing condition that prohibited such applications.

Not quite. There was a condition that google maps not be used for it. There was no actual explicit 'thoust shall not do turn by turn', rather some other things in the developer program that put a lid on it.

Needless to say, turn-by-turn aps are now available, and Tom Tom will come soon:)

jeremy_warnock
23rd July 2009, 04:41 PM

Not quite a fail the 3GS are still hard to coming by, I oredered 3 x 32G of them for my office through vodafone 3 to 4 weeks ago and they are still on back order

mitty
23rd July 2009, 04:46 PM
Uh, Sygic?

I have a friend who has it. It's actually pretty much like TomTom in many ways, and seems to work quiet well. I haven't actually seen it at work in a car yet, but from what I'm told it's not to bad... though obviously the Tom Tom solution with a separate GPS will probably be better.

St Cornelius
23rd July 2009, 05:47 PM
Nokias run turn by turn Garmin or tomtom apps, have for a long time.
they are really good saves you from having a gps + phone. Iphones have generic apps at the moment.... not good enough to be honest i want award winning quality software like garmin or tomtom.

Lutze
23rd July 2009, 06:51 PM
Nokias run turn by turn Garmin or tomtom apps, have for a long time.
they are really good saves you from having a gps + phone. Iphones have generic apps at the moment.... not good enough to be honest i want award winning quality software like garmin or tomtom.

There is this thing you may have heard of - it's called researching your answers / questions - I suggest that you do this before you post more drivel.

For example - we've already covered this poop you've spouted with honey and shown that you don't have a clue.

Get ye back under yer bridge!

motef
23rd July 2009, 07:27 PM
I use Sygic.

$60 via the App Store.

Good as gold. Actually better!

I was going to buy a PND and then Sygic came along. No need now.

BTW i heard Tom Tom is coming on 31st September 2009.

wholikespotatoes
23rd July 2009, 07:37 PM
i like jokes

St Cornelius
24th July 2009, 04:47 PM
There is this thing you may have heard of - it's called researching your answers / questions - I suggest that you do this before you post more drivel.

For example - we've already covered this poop you've spouted with honey and shown that you don't have a clue.

Get ye back under yer bridge!

Well.... yes the tomtom site you gave is a given we no thats the first place you go to find out about an apps information.

And no there are no good GSP apps yet. Sygic = fails (read reviews) name others that work in australia and are worth peoples time

And i stand by what i said there are no good gps apps out yet... Use a nokia with good GPS software and you will no the difference... so really the 3gs is nothing but a faster unit at the moment.

Alec Fraser
24th July 2009, 05:02 PM
Well.... yes the tomtom site you gave is a given we no thats the first place you go to find out about an apps information.

And no there are no good GSP apps yet. Sygic = fails (read reviews) name others that work in australia and are worth peoples time

And i stand by what i said there are no good gps apps out yet... Use a nokia with good GPS software and you will no the difference... so really the 3gs is nothing but a faster unit at the moment.

How about you use the thing before dismissing it outright. Pick a product, and I bet I could go out and find plenty of reviews that say it's rubbish. Sygic works just fine for me and is indeed very much like using a Tom Tom.

As for your last point, turn by turn is a software feature of 3.0 and has fuck all to do with the 3GS so I don't get why a lack of turn by turn apps makes the 3GS "nothing but a faster unit". It does have a few other features that differentiate it, maybe you should have a look at the comparison page so you can learn to tell the difference between a 3G and a 3GS.

kyte
24th July 2009, 05:42 PM
I had a dreadful Sygic experience the other day, but today was different. I travelled the same route and it was much more responsive and accurate than it was in the past. I think it needs to be given a chance for the bugs to be ironed out. After all, Tomtom is trumpeting a new app, and Sygic has already done it, and probably at a fraction of the price. The only thing of Tomtom I really want is the hardware :-/

motef
24th July 2009, 06:27 PM
Sygic = fails (read reviews) name others that work in australia and are worth peoples time

Sygic is all good here.

Reviews aint everything,

There is plenty of reviews goos and bad about everything out there.

eaglesteve2
28th July 2009, 01:08 PM
To be honest, having used TomTom7 before, I thought I would never like any other GPS software. Now, I actually think that Sygic is generally better than TomTom, at least as far as completeness of map data is concerned. The only complain I have is that it does not warn me when approaching a red light camera. On my TomTom 7 on my window mobile phone, too many road's speed limit are not there, so it is no where near as useful as Sygic as an overspeeding warning device. Having said that, TomTom was able to locate a motel that I stayed in Berridale, whereas Sygic could'nt (does'nt even have the road name).

kyte
28th July 2009, 06:57 PM
To be honest, having used TomTom7 before, I thought I would never like any other GPS software. Now, I actually think that Sygic is generally better than TomTom, at least as far as completeness of map data is concerned. The only complain I have is that it does not warn me when approaching a red light camera. On my TomTom 7 on my window mobile phone, too many road's speed limit are not there, so it is no where near as useful as Sygic as an overspeeding warning device. Having said that, TomTom was able to locate a motel that I stayed in Berridale, whereas Sygic could'nt (does'nt even have the road name).

I found similar issues on my Tomtom GO730, inaccurate speed limits or limits just missing, likewise school zones. Sygic has been more accurate generally. Even my old Mio has been more accurate... I'm wondering if its a result of users updating and sharing to the community... and their updates are inaccurate. I thought the community updates were good, initially, but now I am really not sure at all.

eaglesteve2
8th August 2009, 03:10 AM
If TomTom for iPhone uses the same map as it does for the windows mobile version, then I'd say it is a very poor match against Sygic. I hope the map is at least as good, especially when it is supposed to have the benefit of mapshare features to improve it.

Edit: This afternoon I checked out the latest TomTOm Map once again. It has improved considerably over the last 6 months I must say. Almost every road that I examined has the correct speed limit kept.

Looks like it's going to be extremely formidable to challenge the King of GPS software after all.

Looks like in the iPhone arena, TT and Sygic will become the top two contenders from the look of it. Copilot and Navigon have shown their glaring weaknesses so far, so I think they can be ignored for a while now until they put their act together. Not sure about iGO yet.

For Malaysia, Sygic will be completely useless, just like iGO. Their City/Street address format will not work for this country. For Australia this will not be a problem.

eaglesteve2
9th August 2009, 10:14 AM
TomTom for iPhone Pricing Leaks Comments - TrustedReviews (http://www.trustedreviews.com/car-tech/news/2009/08/06/TomTom-for-iPhone-Pricing-Leaks/comments)

What do you think? Is the price reasonable? Will you pay for it?

matthew858
9th August 2009, 10:42 AM
TomTom for iPhone Pricing Leaks Comments - TrustedReviews (http://www.trustedreviews.com/car-tech/news/2009/08/06/TomTom-for-iPhone-Pricing-Leaks/comments)

What do you think? Is the price reasonable? Will you pay for it?

I think I will buy it. That's $227.11 for both the cradle and the app.

kyte
10th August 2009, 07:18 PM
I think I will buy it. That's $227.11 for both the cradle and the app.

You are looking at a direct conversion and not considering that there will be a markup in stores in Australia, import duty and GST. The UK price *might* include VAT but it doesnt say so, so I think that $227 might be a tad ambitious.

eron
11th August 2009, 11:28 AM
22nd Sep maybe.
TomTom Special Media Event on September 22nd? - Mac Forums (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=763039)

LithgowLights
11th August 2009, 12:32 PM
22nd Sep maybe.
TomTom Special Media Event on September 22nd? - Mac Forums (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=763039)

Hope not, because thats not strictly summer anymore. According to meteorologists, summer extends for the whole months of June, July and August in the northern hemisphere.

Even if you consider summer as being between the summer solstice and the autumnal equinox (September 22 this year), thats pushing it.

Carve
13th August 2009, 05:54 PM
can someone tell me if you bought the TomTom app, does it run on Data/charge Data? Or would be just like a normal GPS system but on the iphone?

Lutze
13th August 2009, 05:57 PM
can someone tell me if you bought the TomTom app, does it run on Data/charge Data? Or would be just like a normal GPS system but on the iphone?

The problem is this:

Until it comes out, or until TomTom actually release more information - nobody knows.

chaosboi
13th August 2009, 07:03 PM
Is the TomTom app really going to be better than what's avaliable now in the app store?

A GPS would come in handy this weekend, but not sure if I should wait for TomTom or find another avaliable now.

kyte
13th August 2009, 09:52 PM
Is the TomTom app really going to be better than what's avaliable now in the app store?

A GPS would come in handy this weekend, but not sure if I should wait for TomTom or find another avaliable now.

Get Sygic, its the best of what there is at the moment, and updates are free. The next update promises to be significant.

Aladdin
13th August 2009, 11:04 PM

I'm getting tired of waiting for TomTom. I will need something for UK in 2 weeks. TomTom has a good reputation, thus my dilemma:

UK/Europe: Sygic vs Navigon vs Co-Pilot Live (vs waiting for TomTom)

I'm not as rushed for Oz maps - happy to keep waiting for TomTom a bit longer, though.

Australia: Sygic vs Navigon (vs waiting for TomTom)

eaglesteve2
14th August 2009, 03:22 AM
I won't touch Navigon with a ten feet pole in its present form.

DazR6
14th August 2009, 08:20 PM
Well I couldn't be assed waiting for TomTom, I got Navigon and it works fine so far.