PDA

View Full Version : Typing pause driving me nuts :(

Kzach
22nd July 2009, 12:12 PM
Ever since I installed a new HDD I've been getting this incredibly annoying pause whenever I type. It happens in pretty much every document and occurs every two or three seconds. For half a second the text pauses and then catches up to my typing.

It's driving me batty.

Every time it happens, I can hear the HDD scratch a little so I'm positive it's got to do with HDD access. I really need to fix this as it's seriously annoying me to the point where I want to throw the fucking machine at the wall.

klif
22nd July 2009, 03:58 PM
What hard drive in what machine?

There is a similar issue being reported with the new MacBook Pro's from memory.

I know there were issues with the original Seagate Momentus drives that had shock protection, as it conflicted with the MacBook's own shock protection.

Or something like that....

Kzach
22nd July 2009, 05:14 PM
iMac 7, 1 with a Western Digital 500GB 32MB Cache 3.5" (WDC WD5000AADS-00L4B1)

Mac Ram
22nd July 2009, 05:20 PM
You say it happens in every document - so it only happens in a particular app? Or am I misunderstanding?

arkenstone
22nd July 2009, 06:10 PM
Is your box sleeping the drives after only seconds of inactivity? Check out your power management settings.

Ben™
22nd July 2009, 06:14 PM
Happens on my missus' G3 iBook too. 10.5.7

Kzach
22nd July 2009, 06:43 PM
Is your box sleeping the drives after only seconds of inactivity? Check out your power management settings.

I have the "Put the Hard disk to sleep when possible" option checked but I also had that checked in my previous install and never had this problem.

And I meant to say every application, not every document.

Sometimes it doesn't happen at all, like right now it's not happening but a couple of hours ago it was happening all the time and went on for quite some time.

And this is in 10.5.7 as well.