PDA

View Full Version : Apple pricing at Singapore Changi Airport - anyone help?

apriliaguy
22nd July 2009, 01:31 AM
Hey

I'm keen on a new Mac Mini, but with a work trip coming up soon and with flying via Singapore, I was wondering whether I was better off buying there duty free, instead of in Oz...

Anyone able to source a price for me?

Thanks in advance!

glitch
22nd July 2009, 06:08 AM
I doubt it, australia is now one of the cheaper places in the world to buy electronics.

I haven't seen anything in Singapore that was cheaper than Australia. (in that line of goods).

Dont forget we are already a duty free country, our gear only attracts the 10% GSTwhich you can get back if you buy here and take OS anyway.

BLINDER
22nd July 2009, 07:21 AM
A quick check of the prices on the Apple (Sing) website will show you the prices are often higher than Australia (rrp) and you won't find deals @ Changi in my experience.

Paul_G
22nd July 2009, 07:29 AM
I was there 9 months ago. Had my eye on a Sony video camera. It cost $1200 here, and I could get the GST back at the airport. It cost $1990 in Singapore - and the Singapore and Australian dollars were almost exactly equal at that stage.

Singapore was a lot of fun, but it's not a place for cheap electronics anymore. Buy here - and it saves any warranty issues too.

dche5390
22nd July 2009, 08:39 AM
Just enjoy the food. Forget about the electronics.

shelly79
22nd July 2009, 09:55 AM
We went through Changi at the beginning of June. Definitely not cheaper for apple (or most other electronics). There are places in Singapore where you can electronics cheaper, but the airport is not it. Apple is almost never cheaper in Sing though.

luztra
22nd July 2009, 01:09 PM
I was recently in Singapore and was surprised at how expensive electronics were there compared to Australia. You would be better buying here. If you do buy in Singapore, you can claim 7% back when you leave the country but it would still probably be more expensive than purchasing here.

MrJesseRoss
22nd July 2009, 01:16 PM
I bought a newspaper at Changi. It cost me $9. Worst value ever.

delux
22nd July 2009, 01:25 PM
i was there a few months ago and did a comparion on ipods and they were more expensive at changi airport.

Taezar
22nd July 2009, 01:59 PM
BUT while you are in Changi, but some Lancome for your significant other - mucho cheaperer there!

thorevenge
22nd July 2009, 03:41 PM
I was in Singapore two years ago and whilst other accessories were cheaper, the Apple products were about the same price.

apriliaguy
23rd July 2009, 12:28 AM
Thanks for the comments one and all, but by comparing Apple Stores in Singapore and Oz... For the upspec Mini Mac, A$1399 vs SGP$1349 (A$1151). A saving of A$248...

And Taezar.... Not an issue! 6 months separated! :)

thorevenge
23rd July 2009, 04:47 PM
Don't forget you can only bring in goods of value less than $900AUD back into the country without declaring otherwise you have to pay GST on those goods.

Lilith
24th July 2009, 12:00 AM
But I've heard of people buying new stuff O/S and mailing the instructions and any other important packaging back here and placing the item in their carry on luggage, as though it is not new and was taken out of Australia. No $ limit on doing that with things you already owned. ;)

----------------

And the rule as always in Singapore is, buy "off" Orchard Rd. Anything along that strip is overpriced. Shop where the locals shop.

If you must, cross the causeway into Johor but a waste of time actually.

battye
24th July 2009, 05:02 PM
I got a great price on an iPod from Singapore several years ago, much cheaper than Australia.

But it wasn't at Changi, and I'm not sure if it will still be the case now. Apple's reputation has grown a lot since the iPhone was launched, so getting great deals on Apple products might be difficult now.

Mark_iMac
24th July 2009, 07:11 PM
Just enjoy the food.

Yeah.

apriliaguy
25th July 2009, 02:13 AM
But I've heard of people buying new stuff O/S and mailing the instructions and any other important packaging back here and placing the item in their carry on luggage, as though it is not new and was taken out of Australia. No $ limit on doing that with things you already owned. ;)

----------------

And the rule as always in Singapore is, buy "off" Orchard Rd. Anything along that strip is overpriced. Shop where the locals shop.

Lets say, hypothetically, I've done this before and have no qualms about doing it again :)

dekco
27th July 2009, 11:33 PM

may i ask what you did in johor? i find it great fun, awesome food, good price, better shopping compared to sg.

if shopping avoid lucky plaza and sim lim square. shop in the HDB neighbourhoods or somewhere like best denki.

canonafficionado
28th July 2009, 01:11 AM
I bought a newspaper at Changi. It cost me $9. Worst value ever.

Haha that made me laugh!

Was it one of those ones where they literally print the newspaper out in A3 on their photocopiers before they open up? I've never known why they do it, but it seems dodgy!

dekco
28th July 2009, 10:28 AM
Haha that made me laugh!

Was it one of those ones where they literally print the newspaper out in A3 on their photocopiers before they open up? I've never known why they do it, but it seems dodgy!
ive never seen it, but it sure sounds dodgy as hell.