PDA

View Full Version : What are people using to make websites?

Janty
21st July 2009, 11:27 PM
What are people using to make websites?

Would love to be using Flash and Dreamweaver but I don't have $2,000 to drop on software right now.

avolve
21st July 2009, 11:45 PM
Depends on what you want to create. More and more designers hand code now (I have not used dreamweaver or similar since 2002). CSSEdit is the one of the best apps i have ever used.

If you want WYSIWYG there are a few free open source options (for example Bluefish Editor : Home (http://bluefish.openoffice.nl/))

Check out Open Source Mac - Free Mac software, all open-source, all OS X. (http://www.opensourcemac.org/) for broader apps

NeoRicen
22nd July 2009, 12:20 AM
Give Coda or Espresso a look as an alternative to Dreamweaver. They cost money, but far less than Dreamweaver, and they're much better than some Open Source crapware.

Also, don't use Flash for making websites.

ex5bn
22nd July 2009, 12:24 AM
i've heard Rapidweaver mentioned quite a lot recently... looks pretty neat

Asher Tuzza
22nd July 2009, 12:44 AM
textedit

tcn33
22nd July 2009, 12:52 AM
Give Coda or Espresso a look as an alternative to Dreamweaver.

+1. Coda in particular is brilliantly designed, well-supported and a pleasure to use.

+10,000,000. Flash makes baby Jesus something something.

visional_studios
22nd July 2009, 01:33 AM
Coda is simply awesome, can't live without it, it's $99 - Panic - Coda - One-Window Web Development for Mac OS X (http://www.panic.com/coda/)

Dreamweaver is just bloated now, haven't used it for years and years.

Use flash sparingly, and only when something can't be accomplished using HTML, CSS, Javascript - Jquery and Prototype JS libraries can do all kinds of cool effects that only flashed used to be able to do.

I only ever use flash for video, heavy media etc now.

skip
22nd July 2009, 01:39 AM
Flash should be used for prototyping simple 2D games, making simple web games or teaching students programming techniques (I'm a teacher), not for websites.

I made the website in my sig ( :: the official website of ROOT! the band :: (http://www.roottheband.com.au) ) with Textedit in three days last week. I had Dreamweaver and Rapidweaver and some free 'wysiwyg' stuff available at my disposal, but Textedit was all that was needed. I must admit though, using something with coloured codes that checked syntax and validation, as well as applying small changes to a whole 'site', would've been quicker at times.That Bluefish thing looks good.

I used Photoshop for the graphics, but could've just as easily used GIMP.

pengu
22nd July 2009, 06:20 AM
Coda for writing code.
Fireworks for graphics.

luztra
22nd July 2009, 01:20 PM
I hand-code. Check out Coda

rodeodee
22nd July 2009, 02:52 PM
I've only tried coda on trial, I have and still use dreamweaver, BBedit, textmate, smultron, etc... . I'm currently giving espresso a shot as it came with a macheist bundle. I've used CSSedit a lot and that's awesome. I know Coda is getting very popular.

avolve
22nd July 2009, 02:54 PM
I must admit though, using something with coloured codes that checked syntax and validation, as well as applying small changes to a whole 'site', would've been quicker at times...

I use Smultron (open source) and it has coloured codes for syntax checking ;)

marc
22nd July 2009, 03:03 PM
CSSEdit is the one of the best apps i have ever used.
+1

Give Coda or Espresso a look
+1

Brilliant advice.

I use Coda and CSSEdit here. They're both amazing apps.

Agreed. You have to have a damn good reason for using Flash IMO.

Cybix
22nd July 2009, 03:23 PM
I use Coda.. freaking good.

skip
22nd July 2009, 03:34 PM
Agreed on CSS Edit. Been using it for years. Coda does look interesting though, will definitely investigate it. Could be yet another bullet in my arsenal to help push for Macs in the main IT room I teach in...

ada_lovelace
22nd July 2009, 06:52 PM
Taco HTML Edit (http://tacosw.com/)

aafuss
22nd July 2009, 08:19 PM
I like to use Rapidweaver to create websites.

MacNut
23rd July 2009, 08:22 AM
Rapidweaver is all you will need unless web design is your profession. It is not expensive and has some great plugins.
One thing though, a contact form will NOT work if you upload to mobile me

Angsty
24th July 2009, 01:29 PM
Erm.. I use EditPlus (Win app). I am comfortable using it and can create what I want with it - the minimalist way LOL!

PS - there was a CERT alert issued today re a Flash and vulnerability, with the advice to disable flash plugins for now. Hmm, lots of sites have become inaccessible!!

CERT alert re Flash Vulnerability (http://www.kb.cert.org/vuls/id/259425)

Tassiecelt
24th July 2009, 10:51 PM
iWeb!

For those who are not clever with code - this works a treat, simple and effective!

Angsty
24th July 2009, 11:53 PM
iWeb!

For those who are not clever with code - this works a treat, simple and effective!

I agree that iWeb is great for people with no coding skills, but the code iWeb generates is horrificly inefficient and bloated. Yikes!! I almost fell out of my seat when I had a look.

eg: you have 5 pages... the background image, and all other site template elements, are uploaded 5 separate times - once for each instance of a page.

*bangs head on desk*:sad:

This alone was enough to incite me to refresh my HTML skills and do it better my hand myself.

Vapours
25th July 2009, 03:15 PM
Check out Open Source Mac - Free Mac software, all open-source, all OS X. (http://www.opensourcemac.org/) for broader apps

Thanks for that link.

andytlr
25th July 2009, 03:30 PM
I use Coda. For years and years I made shit websites in shit WYSIWYG apps. I'm not brilliant at coding css and html but I've found that by using Coda I've learnt much, much more quickly. Plus you have absolute control.

I know other apps do this but I love how Coda predicts and auto completes what you're typing. The live preview is also brilliant.

I've got the trial of CSS Edit. It seems like it would be brilliant to edit and existing site, but I just couldn't work out how to get it into my workflow with Coda. Do the people who use CSS Edit build your basic site in one app then refine everything in CSS Edit?

pengu
25th July 2009, 05:10 PM
I've got the trial of CSS Edit. It seems like it would be brilliant to edit and existing site, but I just couldn't work out how to get it into my workflow with Coda. Do the people who use CSS Edit build your basic site in one app then refine everything in CSS Edit?

i have to admit, I've never quite understood people who say "I use Coda and CSSEdit". It's kinda like saying "I use Safari and Firefox at the same time".

If you want hand-holding to generate CSS, Coda has a CSS editor view, but I don't see where the appeal is for a visual CSS editor, when you're already writing the HTML+any other languages by hand in Coda.

becsta
25th July 2009, 08:14 PM
I use Coda+CSSedit. I've been coding HTML by hand for some time off-and-on, but largely ignored CSS until recently.

As a result, I'm still learning the quirks and traps with CSS, and having a visual editor is great. I think the hardest part of CSS is working out the selectors, and the codes for each selector which, if I was coding by hand, would make me pull my hair out.

So, I find that CSSedit (and to an even greater extent Dreamweaver) is great for creating the right selectors, in the right formats.

As for my workflow, I work with both open at the same time - CSSedit with the various CSS files, and Coda with the HTML/PHP code. I tend to do previews in Firefox, sometimes Safari, and sometimes in Coda. Rarely, I'll use the preview in CSSedit, but it's almost as functional as Firebug in Firefox.

- bec

ChrisR_12
25th July 2009, 08:45 PM
Hello,

I am using textmate, photoshop and filezilla (ftp program to upload my site) right now but i also used coda. i would recommend both.

thank you,
Chris (aka theapplestuff)

Tassiecelt
26th July 2009, 09:14 AM
I agree that iWeb is great for people with no coding skills, but the code iWeb generates is horrificly inefficient and bloated. Yikes!! I almost fell out of my seat when I had a look.

eg: you have 5 pages... the background image, and all other site template elements, are uploaded 5 separate times - once for each instance of a page.

*bangs head on desk*:sad:

This alone was enough to incite me to refresh my HTML skills and do it better my hand myself.

Oh, I'm sure you are right, and if so it sounds the same as MS Publisher which I used to use before.
But...it's simple, down to my level and it works easily. If you are interested:
camriversigns.com.au (http://camriversigns.com.au)

any comments valued.

banjo
26th July 2009, 12:24 PM
Coda is the main app that I use. I haven't tried CSSEdit but I've heard good things about it, however I prefer to code the CSS myself.

Oh, and the new developer tools in Safari 4 are very good. Don't know if they're on the same level as Firebug for Firefox, but they are very handy, especially for tracking down the cascade issues in CSS.

marc
26th July 2009, 12:38 PM
It seems like it would be brilliant to edit and existing site, but I just couldn't work out how to get it into my workflow with Coda. Do the people who use CSS Edit build your basic site in one app then refine everything in CSS Edit?
Right click the CSS file in Coda and select "Edit in CSSEdit".

Make your edits in CSSEdit and save. Switch back to Coda and keep editing your HTML.

This works with local and remote files. Yes, when you hit save in CSSEdit, Coda will upload your CSS file to your server. I then see a nice Growl notification pop-up when it's done, just to let me know it's been saved.

It's kinda like saying "I use Safari and Firefox at the same time".
Nup, it's like saying you use Safari for browsing and Firefox for JS debugging.

but I don't see where the appeal is for a visual CSS editor, when you're already writing the HTML+any other languages by hand in Coda.
The appeal?

Folders for your styles, better completion, other tools. @group in CSSEdit is worth the price tag alone. I hand code all my CSS, but I find CSSEdit better than any other editor.

Trust me, once you've used folders in CSSEdit, you won't go back to using Coda for CSS.

http://homepage.mac.com/marcedwards/forumbits/cssedit-folders.png