PDA

View Full Version : Video Ichat In Tiger

paulhek
1st July 2005, 12:26 PM
Switched to Tiger in May and now my relatives overseas also installed it. I expected to see an increase in video quality with the new codec. However, I have the feeling quality is less as before with Panther. Anyone else had the same experience. Or should I change some settings? Now I have bandwithlimit to "none". Should I change this? Will it help? I expected that none would mean things go automatically and ichat figures out how much bandwith it needs and will use as much as it can?

Paul

paulhek
1st July 2005, 12:30 PM
oops.. I thought I had posted this in the software section. sorry..

luke_in_tas
1st July 2005, 01:27 PM
Hey paulhek,

I can't answer why the video quality would seem worse. I'm using iChat with Tiger, and the quality of video chats (with other Tiger users) is certainly an improvement.

I think bandwith is still a real issue for video chats though. Remember the fastest throughput you are going to get is limited to the upload speed of each connection. Although you might have a fast connection for downloads the quality of the video is going to be very much affected by the upload speed of the other party, as well as being affected by any internet conjestion between them and you.

paulhek
1st July 2005, 02:29 PM
Do you have any idea what the upload speed of Optus Cable in Australia is? I can't find it on their website? Maybe it has something to do with the fact that I chat with people on the other side of the world.

yinyang
1st July 2005, 05:19 PM
optus cable can only upload at 128Kbs. so it's pretty slow in comparison to theoretical downloads of 10Mbs.

jeremy
1st July 2005, 05:46 PM
Yeah, capped to 128kbps, could support quite a bit more though I think they can fit more customers to a segment with it capped. But it also goes along with their nasty no server policy. Probably one of the many reasons I jumped ship to 1500/256k ADSL.

DJY
1st July 2005, 11:48 PM
I have had several chats with friends about this topic... and we concur.
From mates in Syd, Canberra, and Melb mostly - all with Tiger - all with good ADSL speeds or cable...
haven't noticed any significant improvement in quality. We were hoping to... and from the demo's we have seen with three or four person vido chats - well they were WOW!

We only still have been doing 2 person video chats... but haven't noticed any real difference since Panther. Maybe 10.4.2 will help? I did read in a few forums that there might be a bandwidth issue.

Wade Laube
2nd July 2005, 01:58 PM
I have been using Tiger for a while but noticed the improvements in the H264 codec only yesterday when a friend upgraded and we tried a video chat over 1500/256 ADSL at both ends. There's better image quality and seemingly better frame rates - no noticeable lag in sound or video, which is certainly better than 10.3 was.