PDA

View Full Version : new user

beeraclock500
20th July 2009, 08:54 PM
My computer blacks out whenever I try and download a heap of stuff, for ex when trying to download a catalogue of 16 pages about half way through the monitor blacks out then I get a no signal sign and after a short time my computer switches itself off. Any reason why . Thanks John.

MrJesseRoss
20th July 2009, 08:56 PM
It might help if you tell us what your computer is exactly.

beeraclock500
20th July 2009, 08:58 PM
Mac OSX10.4.11 Sorry.

ClockWork
21st July 2009, 08:05 AM
The simplest way of telling us what Apple Model you have there, is to click once on the blue Apple Menu at the top-left of your screen, and scroll down to: About This Mac.

In the About This Mac window, under the silver Apple logo and under the Software Update... button, you'll see Processor and Memory.

Simply type back here exactly what it says on the right next to both Processor and Memory.

That's all we need to see.

Cheers,

cw

Babbage
21st July 2009, 10:50 AM
It will also be mighty useful if you could tell us what you were downloading, from where, and how.
e.g. I was downloading KMart catalogue from their website using Firefox.
Also as a simple start, is yours a laptop or desktop?

(nice enough decryption?)

beeraclock500
21st July 2009, 04:48 PM
Thanks, I'am realy trying to learn. Processor is 1.25ghz Power PCG4 Memory 512MB DDR SDRAM Anywhere I can learn what all these initials mean. Again thank You.

Babbage
21st July 2009, 04:50 PM
What were you trying to download
Where from?
Using what program? Firefox?

Geoff3DMN
21st July 2009, 05:12 PM
1.25 Ghz means 1,250,000 central processor cycles per second (that used to be how fast your computer worked but it's more complicated than that these days as different types of CPU's are more or less efficient).

G4 is the type of central processing unit (this is one of the types used prior to the change to Intel CPU's).

512Mb means you have 512 mega bytes (basically millions of bytes) of memory (which is fairly low by todays standards but still usable).

DDR SDRAM is the type of computer memory (Double Data Rate Synchronous dynamic random access memory)

beeraclock500
21st July 2009, 05:19 PM
Thanks Geoff3, There will be heaps more I will need to know. Beeraclock500

ClockWork
21st July 2009, 09:40 PM
Thanks, I'am realy trying to learn. Processor is 1.25ghz Power PCG4 Memory 512MB DDR SDRAM Anywhere I can learn what all these initials mean. Again thank You.

Good good - and errr - don't worry about Babbage from yesterday - MacTalk Admin had him brutally murdered this morning, so no one is going to attack you.

The details you've supplied simply tell us that you have a Tower PowerMac G4, which probably looks something like this:

http://www.applelinks.com/news/gifs/pmg4.jpg

and is attached to some sort of compatible Display Unit, either made by Apple, or designed by someone else.

You say the attached screen blacks out whilst downloading something, and then the PowerMac G4 switches itself off.

Does it do exactly the same thing if you turn it on, and don't do anything with it? - ie: just leave it sitting there and "on" ?

To stop the screen from going black in the first place, Click on the blue Apple menu at your screen's top-left and scroll down to: System Preferences...

In the System Preferences window, click once on the Energy Saver icon (looks like a yellow light bulb).

In the Energy Saver window next to both:

Put the computer to sleep when inactive for:

and

Put the display(s) to sleep when the computer is inactive for:

and set both sliders to: Never

Also untick the Put the hard disk(s) to sleep when possible - check box, so that it is left empty, and then Quit System Preferences.

Now leave it "on" and do nothing with it for ... let's say 1 hour.

Does the Screen still go black, and does it still shut down all by itself?

Babbage
21st July 2009, 10:07 PM
Not dead. But big enough to admit to being a nobber.

Beeraclock500 - apologies for being sarcastic, I clicked form RSS and didn't realise it was a new user area.

Read what Clockwork says. He talks much sense.

Welcome to the world of macs and I trust Nelligen is as lovely as ever.