PDA

View Full Version : Old Gen macbook pro vs unibody macbook pro

nightelves
20th July 2009, 01:51 PM
Apart from the fact that the old macbook pro has a resolution of 1680x1050 and the unibody has a resolution of 1900x1200. Is the diference between the two resolution that noticeable?

iCarllovesapple
20th July 2009, 02:15 PM
Generally, the only thing noticeable on the 2 displays is the glossy factor on the Unibody.. (From a display n00bs perspective)

Babbage
20th July 2009, 02:59 PM
Nightelves,
As ever with a vague question, it would help to give some context of what you were going to use it for.
Clearly there is a technical difference, but will that affect your usage? Only you know that unless you share :)

MissionMan
20th July 2009, 03:20 PM
Generally, the only thing noticeable on the 2 displays is the glossy factor on the Unibody.. (From a display n00bs perspective)

Not really, with the resolution he's talking about (17" only) the non-glossy is also an option.

nightelves
20th July 2009, 04:38 PM
I just after resolution and nothing else. Spot on MissionMan it's the 17 inch I'm talking about. I want to use it to watch DVDs and photoshop. I currently have the glossy version of the old gen macbook pro 2.33ghz to be specific and love it. The colours are more vibrant than my sister's 17 inch 2.4ghz matte display so I'll probably stick with the glossy option. But in terms of movie viewing and photo-edting is there a big difference in resolution between the two macbook pro? hope this answer your question babbage.

Babbage
20th July 2009, 05:13 PM
Sorry if you thought I was complaining. It's simply that in asking a question, if you aren't clear in asking, then we can't give be clear in answering. Shit in, shit out, you see. :)

For watching DVDs, resolution is of little importance as they run at 576 lines (PAL). You've already appreciated the comparative richness of a glossy screen for viewing.

For photo editing, the more resolution the better. The new screens are very nice. In terms of gloss or matte screen, I personally prefer the matte screen for anything precise such as editing either video or still images. It also works better when using it outside in daylight and resists finder smudges slightly better.

So my recommendation is the higher res and a personal choice between the screen gloss. You won't be disappointed with either gloss or matte for what you will use.