PDA

View Full Version : OS X Demo...

ebbi
20th July 2009, 09:52 AM
Hi guys,

Ok here's the situation. My sister (based in Sydney) bought a new MacBook a few months ago and she took it home and it couldn't connect to WiFi. The problem was that there was no AirPort card installed in the MacBook.

She took it back straight away (it wasn't from an Apple Store), and the manager wouldn't give her a new one. She had to wait for it to go for repairs. After she argued a little, the manager just gave her a store demo for her to take home to use while her one is getting repaired.

After a month, she still hasn't got her MacBook yet, and the problem is that the OS X version on the loan machine has that Demo version and everytime you save files, it is wiped away upon the next boot.

Is there a way to bypass this or install a full version of OS X? She tried installing 10.5 the standard way but it wouldn't let her.

Any help would be great :)

avolve
20th July 2009, 10:06 AM
I would ring Apple support.

MrJesseRoss
20th July 2009, 10:16 AM
I'd be going into the store and demanding a new one. Macbooks are supposed to come with Airport cards. They sold your sister an obviously faulty product and she should not have to be lumbered with an unusable and crippled machine while they're 'fixing' what should not have been broken in the first place.

I'm pretty sure that the manager is acting against some sort of ACCC legislation or something.

Babbage
20th July 2009, 10:52 AM
You should have been offered a full replacement.

Request it immediately.

tcn33
20th July 2009, 11:04 AM
btw that sounds like a Guest account.

24 Hours of Leopard: Guest user account (http://www.tuaw.com/2007/10/26/24-hours-of-leopard-guest-user-account/)

Remy
20th July 2009, 11:11 AM
I'd be going into the store and demanding a new one.

Agreed. I'd try taking it back, whether the manager likes it or not.