PDA

View Full Version : how to stop mail.app mark as read

grahamrb
20th July 2009, 08:01 AM
Hi,

Very simply but annoying problem for me. I switched across to a MacBook about 2 months ago now and I'm loving it. One thing which is really annoying me is that whenever you click on an email in the mail app it marks it as read, this is very annoying as it makes it difficult to manage which emails you have delt with and which you haven't.

I asked a couple of people at work but no one knows how to stop it marking emails as read automatically. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Alex Morrow
20th July 2009, 08:31 AM
I'm not trying to be a smart-arse here, but when I click on an email I am doing so because I want to read it, so it is marked as read. I don't know of any way to click on it without indicating that it has been looked at, nor can I see the point of that.
If you want to mark it then as Unread so as to come back to it later, give it the Apple-Shift-U, and it will again appear as Unread.

Brewster
20th July 2009, 09:09 AM
If you not wanting to view the email then close the lower window by dragging it's edge down to the bottom of the page then mail won't mark any selected messages as read.

If you do want to quickly see the contents then you'll have to right click (or option click) the message once you've looked at it and do as the poster above said or select "Mark > As Unread".

ada_lovelace
20th July 2009, 11:01 AM
If you go View->Customize Toolbar you can add the 'Unread/Read' buttons to your toolbar, which can be a quicker way of re-marking something as unread than using the menus.

grahamrb
20th July 2009, 07:58 PM
I'm not trying to be a smart-arse here, but when I click on an email I am doing so because I want to read it, so it is marked as read. I don't know of any way to click on it without indicating that it has been looked at, nor can I see the point of that.
If you want to mark it then as Unread so as to come back to it later, give it the Apple-Shift-U, and it will again appear as Unread.

Yeah, seems to make sense at first glance but when you for example delete an email then it will automatically go to then next email in the list and of course mark it as read.

If you not wanting to view the email then close the lower window by dragging it's edge down to the bottom of the page then mail won't mark any selected messages as read.

Exactly what I was looking for, don't know why I didn't think of that. Previewing would have been useful but this is definitely good enough.