PDA

View Full Version : USB Power Adapter question

cammo
19th July 2009, 07:33 PM
Hi, I was going to order a USB Power Adapter from Apple USB Power Adapter - Apple Store (Australia) (http://store.apple.com/au/product/MB051X/A?fnode=MTY1NDA0MQ&mco=MjE0ODcyNw) but the item (which is in the Australian store says "Important note: This USB Power Adapter has fixed EU-style pins for use in Continental Europe."

Has anyone bought one of these as a replacement? Is this just a misprint on the Australian store and will it work in Australia?

Thanks!

Cam

K3G
19th July 2009, 08:14 PM
you could always just make your own. all you need is:

a 240-5V power adapter
2* 10K ohm resistors
USB extension cable

I had all this stuff lying around at home so it was free for me

To force the iPod 5G to charge in any case, when "USB Power 5 VDC" (pin 23) is fed, 25 must be connected to 5V through a 10kOhm resistor, and 27 must be connected to the Ground (for example: pin 1) with a 10kOhm resistor.

^^^from Apple iPod and iPhone (2g, 3g) Dock Interfaces pinout and wiring @ pinouts.ru (http://pinouts.ru/PortableDevices/ipod_pinout.shtml)

it says 5G but I have tried it with the 5G and my 2nd gen touch and an iPhone 3G and it all works fine.

If you need some help PM me and i'll give you more detailed instructions.

ClockWork
19th July 2009, 08:36 PM
Or you can plug your USB device into an onion saturated with Gatorade!!!!

GfPJeDssBOM

=P

I have several of the Apple USB Power Adapters, and there's no problem with them - they work just fine, and I can only imagine that the fixed EU-style pins is referring to a former problem when using the Apple World Travel Adapter Kit (http://store.apple.com/au/product/MB974ZM/A?mco=NjcyMTE2MA) in Europe.

Next Week: How to make your own MacBook Pro using only bamboo and a byro.

motef
19th July 2009, 10:41 PM
Next Week: How to make your own MacBook Pro using only bamboo and a byro.

MacGyver style!

K3G
19th July 2009, 10:48 PM
Or you can plug your USB device into an onion saturated with Gatorade!!!!

How the hell does this work? I thought the ipod needed the two 10K ohm resitors over the two data points so it knows to charge

ClockWork
19th July 2009, 11:09 PM
How the hell does this work? I thought the ipod needed the two 10K ohm resitors over the two data points so it knows to charge

Your Post # 2 strangely presumes the OP desires to build their own USB Power Adapter from scratch, and with all the required electrical knowledge on how to do so.

Pray tell what part of the first post led you to this bizarre conclusion?

K3G
19th July 2009, 11:26 PM
Your Post # 2 strangely presumes the OP desires to build their own USB Power Adapter from scratch, and with all the required electrical knowledge on how to do so.

Pray tell what part of the first post led you to this bizarre conclusion?

coz i managed to do it and I didnt want them to waste their money on an official one but yes we have strayed very much off topic :P

aaaand to bring it back into topic... If you notice on the pics on that particular page one of them is using the American plug and the other has an AUS plug. so one can assume its a generic page and that as long as you buy from an AU store you will get an AU plug.